Paulo Ferreira

North_Stand_Ram

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/459666/Ex-Chelsea-star-Paulo-Ferreira-eyes-English-side

Probably the most bizarre rumour

Ex-Chelsea star Paulo Ferreira eyes English side

FORMER Chelsea star Paulo Ferreira is at the centre of a tug of war between Leicester and Derby.

Fri, February 14, 2014

Paulo Ferreira played 141 times for Chelsea between 2004 - 2013 [GETTY]

Ferreira, 35, wants to carry on playing after being released by Chelsea at the end of last season.

Now a free agent, he has carried on training with the club and in his homeland and wants to play on for at least another season if he can find a new team in England.

Steve McClaren is keen to take him to Derby but Leicester, Brighton and Reading are all interested. Premier League Fulham are also monitoring the situation.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I posted this in the wrong place, couldn't remember how to start a new thread

Anyway, could be a good signing

Best win % in prem history, on the bench in the champs league final, 60 caps for Portugal and 150 games for Chelsea... If he's cheap ie wages then his experience could be handy, even if he is past it

A signing like this would be good in terms of showing our young players what they can aspire to, and give them that added motivation to not only get promoted, but be part of our plans once we are there, and therefore step up their game all round.

Even if he's just on the bench so as not to disrupt the team, he could be doing good. And if he can cover the full backs, then so much the better. I'd like to think a player like this wouldn't be too much of a diva, might be a bit of a stretch, but wanting to play, willing to drop wages and drop a league, implies that he's maybe happy to be passing on his experience in the twilight of his career, rather than trying to hijack a team to relive past glories. At least, they are the conditions under which I would take such a 'star' player.

Steve Nicholson ‏@SNicholsonDT 1m

For those asking about Paulo Ferreira link with #dcfc ... he's 35, doesn't really fit McClaren's plan #dcfcfans

Of course he does.. 

What manager bangs on about lack of experience, then doesn't want to sign experience?  :lol:

He doesn't want lots of older players, admittedly - however, this seems to be a good one off choice.

Very experienced player with a winning mentality. 

Of course he does.. 

What manager bangs on about lack of experience, then doesn't want to sign experience?  :lol:

He doesn't want lots of older players, admittedly - however, this seems to be a good one off choice.

Why has he been a free agent since June 2013? Hasn't played since May and that was a thank you sub appearance. Would be a shocking signing and not what we need at all right now, would take him to the end of the season just to get match fit then watch him retire.

Why has he been a free agent since June 2013? Hasn't played since May and that was a thank you sub appearance. Would be a shocking signing and not what we need at all right now, would take him to the end of the season just to get match fit then watch him retire.

Also 141 games in 9 years, works out at 15/16 a year.

Never sign a player older than myself unless it's John Eustace. It's a no from me.

He's have to have another 26 years of experience before I could raise that objection.

Of course he does..

What manager bangs on about lack of experience, then doesn't want to sign experience? :lol:

Does experience really matter if you are *****?

He's been training with Chelsea through-out though.

I'd have him in a heartbeat, no excuse about experience - which I believe is going to be Steve's card if we don't go up.

It's been his choice to sign young players, if he wanted experience, he should have signed experienced players - therefore, I don't see why he would pass this up, if he had reasonable terms. He's not going to play every game, but could fill a gap. 

Archived