February 2014 Games

Cam the Ram

It was with me, Bris. I'll hold my hands up and say fair play to you.

Well if we count the Charity Shield eddie you've already beaten me.

Assuming Moyes survives until next season maybe he will change his philosophy. He has to change it, surely?

I just can't understand what he's trying to do. Why buy Fellaini for 27.5m and never use him? Why buy Mata and continue to play with wide wingers? Why would anyone hoestly believe Fletcher, Giggs or Phil Jones would be a title-challenging central midfield partnership?

Fergie left him a weak midfield granted - but with pots of cash and a whole summer to buy whoever he wanted Moyes didn't half faff around. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it's time for another visit from our pal Occam's Razor;

Man Utd - worse since Moyes took over

Everton - better since Moyes left

Conclusion........

People have been saying that for the last decade, Moyes had been trying and failing to get Everton ahead of United. Well, at least at the moment we can say 'mission accomplished'.

United has a problem. Its the same problem they've had for a few years

They're missing any quality in midfield

Fergie papered over it by using Old Man Giggs (now he's too old to make a difference) and bringing Scholes out of retirement.

Fergus couldn't find a midfield general good enough to keep it going, and neither has Moyes

Well if we count the Charity Shield eddie you've already beaten me.

Assuming Moyes survives until next season maybe he will change his philosophy. He has to change it, surely?

I just can't understand what he's trying to do. Why buy Fellaini for 27.5m and never use him? Why buy Mata and continue to play with wide wingers? Why would anyone hoestly believe Fletcher, Giggs or Phil Jones would be a title-challenging central midfield partnership?

Fergie left him a weak midfield granted - but with pots of cash and a whole summer to buy whoever he wanted Moyes didn't half faff around. 

I'm surprised that the Gump fans haven't started suggesting that they loan Fellaini for the run-in.

Moyes is a brilliant defensive manager make no mistake. You knew exactly what to expect from his Everton side and they gave the top teams such a hard game at Goodison Park. They nullified the likes of Swansea City and Wigan's passing games with ease.

Moyes is one of the best 'percentage' managers that are around. He's a step-up from Allardyce and Pulis and you can guarantee if he was the Fulham manager they'd be nowhere near the bottom of the table.

That said, his style just isn't cut out for a title challenger and IMO he will never make it at a club wanting to win trophies unless he completely changes his philosphy.

It's criminal and for a club of United's status is absymal to watch his sides try and defend whilst playing the big clubs and crumbling at home to the smaller clubs.

Man Utd's home performance against Sunderland demonstrated Moyes in a nutshell. Go 1-0 up and just allow the opposition all the possession and territory in the world. Sunderland deservedly went through as they were far the more attack minded team on the night,

It's criminal comical and for a club of United's status is abysmal hilarious to watch his sides try and defend whilst playing the big clubs and crumbling at home to the smaller clubs.

Just a couple of minor improvements required to your fourth paragraph, Bris.

Moyes is a brilliant defensive manager make no mistake. You knew exactly what to expect from his Everton side and they gave the top teams such a hard game at Goodison Park. They nullified the likes of Swansea City and Wigan's passing games with ease.

Moyes is one of the best 'percentage' managers that are around. He's a step-up from Allardyce and Pulis and you can guarantee if he was the Fulham manager they'd be nowhere near the bottom of the table.

That said, his style just isn't cut out for a title challenger and IMO he will never make it at a club wanting to win trophies unless he completely changes his philosphy.

It's criminal and for a club of United's status is absymal to watch his sides try and defend whilst playing the big clubs and crumbling at home to the smaller clubs.

Man Utd's home performance against Sunderland demonstrated Moyes in a nutshell. Go 1-0 up and just allow the opposition all the possession and territory in the world. Sunderland deservedly went through as they were far the more attack minded team on the night,

Agree a lot of this. But for me, he is not a step up to Pulis! Best team he has managed is Stoke and he got them to Europe. Never been relegated and looks like he is going to save one übershite team again.

And it's not criminal that club like ManU is abysmal to watch. I find it pleasing...

Agree with Bris entirely.

If you want a solid manager who plays the percentages well and you're happy to be the best percentage team then Moyes is a top candidate. He'll build a solid team that will always achieve at least what it's capable of.

But Man United? He's got to break teams down. He's got to be smarter. They can't be 'solid' because they're supposed to be taking the game to other teams. They've got to achieve the maximum they're capable of.

He's out his depth.

Today was hilarious. You'd think Moyes was Fulham manager. Eating up crosses and absorbing pressure. Going from front to back quickly but taking minimal risks (hence they stayed deep because the game was in their hands). Moyes could do that and more for. Fulham every week.

But today, Totally out of ideas. The skills of Mata and Rooney completely wasted. It's going to be a short and hard United career if he struggles to open teams up. If he struggles to beat the exact sort of sides he's built in the past. United are expected to destroy these teams. That's minimal expectation.

He's never really been anything more than solid.

Fergie jumped ship in time to be fair.

Agree a lot of this. But for me, he is not a step up to Pulis! Best team he has managed is Stoke and he got them to Europe. Never been relegated and looks like he is going to save one übershite team again.

And it's not criminal that club like ManU is abysmal to watch. I find it pleasing...

Yeah, I'd put Pulis up there too. Seems to get a great mentality going.

Archived