The First Of Many

swansea ram

A pub landlord in Swansea, has to pay £65.000 in legal costs for breaching the Premier League copyright by showing football matches using a foreign satellite card authorised for private use.

The case is the first of up to 100, prosecutions the PL is planning to bring up across Wales & England this season.

The full story is on BBC Wales news  south west.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the pubs that show the 3.00pm kick off prem games live aren't they?

My mate used to run the Swan and Salmon on Ashbourne Road a few years ago and showed a choice of Prem games at 3.00pm every Saturday. Its been going on for years and not made any noticeable difference to Premiership attendances.

Go down to the pub and watch it there, stay at home and watch it on a stream over the internet. 

You might be able to stop the first one, no way on earth they can stop the second. Good luck Sky.

I think you underestimate Sky. They are trying to buy the rights for all of Europe so they can stop some of the streams and decoded satellite stuff. 

I'll try and find a link as I remember reading about Murdoch using the influence of his papers and news media to campaign against european laws on competition and monopolies that stop him having the sole rights to show Premiership football across europe. 

When the Sun rallies against "red tape" it usually means summat is blocking old Rupe from an extra billion or two.

I think you underestimate Sky. They are trying to buy the rights for all of Europe so they can stop some of the streams and decoded satellite stuff. 

I'll try and find a link as I remember reading about Murdoch using the influence of his papers and news media to campaign against european laws on competition and monopolies that stop him having the sole rights to show Premiership football across europe. 

When the Sun rallies against "red tape" it usually means summat is blocking old Rupe from an extra billion or two.

They can try but they won't be able to make it work. If Sky think that they can succeed where the MPAA and RIAA have failed then good luck to them. 

In this instance, football streams, all's it takes is one person with a valid sub to jack their feed onto the internet, and a combination of VPNs, proxy servers and IP masks and Sky won't have a clue what's going on or who's doing it.

Old news but

A pub landlady has won her court fight with the English Premier League over using a Greek TV decoder to show games.

Karen Murphy has paid nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using the cheaper decoder in her Portsmouth pub.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice (ECJ). It found partly in her favour, and now the High Court in London has also found in her favour.

However, the Premier League said it still had the right "to prevent the unauthorised use of our copyrights".

The complicated case has been closely watched as it could trigger a major shake-up in the way football TV rights are sold, and potentially pave the way to cheaper viewing of foreign broadcasts for fans of top-flight English games.

Bypass

Ms Murphy has spent six years fighting a prosecution for showing live football at the Red White and Blue pub without a Sky subscription.

Instead of using Sky, on which it costs £700 a month to see Premier League matches, she used the Greek TV station Nova, which has the rights to screen the games in Greece, and which cost her £800 a year.

She took her fight for the right to use the cheaper provider to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) which ruled in October 2011 that having an exclusive system was "contrary to EU law".

The High Court in London on Friday ruled that Karen Murphy's appeal over using the decoder to bypass controls over match screening must be allowed.

But a judge made clear that the other complex issues regarding the wider legality of screening matches would have to be decided "at a later date".

Ms Murphy told BBC Radio Solent before the hearing that it had been a long, hard fight: "It's been very stressful, it's been a rollercoaster and to be honest now I'm absolutely fed up to the back teeth of it.

"I hope at some time in the not too distant future the market will be opened up to a reasonable choice of product to buy.

"As I've said before, you can have any other product and you have a choice of buying any other product, and that's the way it should be."

She told the reporter she would be celebrating the win with a bottle of Sambuca.

Freedom

The High Court had originally sent the case to the European courts for advice on numerous points of law.

The ECJ said last autumn that national laws that prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards were contrary to the freedom to provide services.

The European judges also said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not be considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.

But it did offer some comfort for the Premier League, which receives vast sums through its exclusive broadcasting deals with Sky and ESPN.

The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated for a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

This was the legal ruling that the Premier League reiterated after Friday's court judgement: "Should Mrs Murphy, or any other publican, use European Economic Area foreign satellite systems to show Premier League football on their premises without our authority and outside the scope of our authorisation, they make themselves liable for us to take action against them in both the civil and criminal courts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

When sky sports first started it was £30 for the year for pubs (monthly price was just over the cost of a pint), 2nd year it was £30 per month, and now it costs, as Daveo said, 1k and 2.5k depending on size of venue, how many screens can show Sky, how many boxes you have.

Imagine if beer had the same inflation rate? :o

When sky sports first started it was £30 for the year for pubs (monthly price was just over the cost of a pint), 2nd year it was £30 per month, and now it costs, as Daveo said, 1k and 2.5k depending on size of venue, how many screens can show Sky, how many boxes you have.

Imagine if beer had the same inflation rate? :o

There wouldn't be any breweries left!  :o  aka, Hell on earth!

What they've done in this case is to target copyrighted images, i.e. the Sky, Premier League and Football League logos and theme music. If someone could come up with a method of disengaging the copyrighted stuff from the actual content (the game) or even masking it, then this current round of court cases would not have succeeded.

The way they are trying to kill the idea of people streaming the match is by encoding your Sky/Virgin membership number in the broadcast image. Then they will clobber the uploader (the same method used by RIAA etc over illegal file sharing), probably to the tune of one year's subscription multiplied by the total of downloaders.

What they've done in this case is to target copyrighted images, i.e. the Sky, Premier League and Football League logos and theme music. If someone could come up with a method of disengaging the copyrighted stuff from the actual content (the game) or even masking it, then this current round of court cases would not have succeeded.

The way they are trying to kill the idea of people streaming the match is by encoding your Sky/Virgin membership number in the broadcast image. Then they will clobber the uploader (the same method used by RIAA etc over illegal file sharing), probably to the tune of one year's subscription multiplied by the total of downloaders.

I've noticed on BT Sports' live matches there's a number at the top right of the screen, I'd wondered if this was something like this, I guess it is.

I suppose this will only stop streaming originating from this country.

• 1 month later...

Sky have been sending letters to pubs and clubs  around this area, stating that if they catch anyone streaming premier league games live that are not on sky or BT, then prosecutions will begin.

Does anyone else know of any other area's that have had these letters.

I did get to watch the Burnley v Derby game yesterday though, as I argued that the letter states premier league, and this was a championship game. :lol:

Archived