George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

I can understand why we bid £1million, but, it doesn't do the heart any good.

As long as he is wearing white by next season, without the blue, then I'll be a happy boy.

He's potentially a £100million player (to us) in my opinion. The difference he made was absolutely massive, but we have to be reasonable.

I still fancy us to get him, I just don't want a long drawn out process. There are plenty of clubs that he'd be absolutely top-notch for, we have to act quick otherwise face disappointment.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why we bid £1million, but, it doesn't do the heart any good.

As long as he is wearing white by next season, without the blue, then I'll be a happy boy.

He's potentially a £100million player (to us) in my opinion. The difference he made was absolutely massive, but we have to be reasonable.

I still fancy us to get him, I just don't want a long drawn out process. There are plenty of clubs that he'd be absolutely top-notch for, we have to act quick otherwise face disappointment.

But what if .....

"BpoBEpnCUAA0i8m" alt="BpoBEpnCUAA0i8m">

Hi

Another Baggie here who has been reading with interest.

Having read the clubs statement (and also knowing what our chairman is like) I would be very surprised if Thorne was allowed to rejoin Derby.

"made it clear that none of their players are for sale"

"the Baggies are not willing to entertain any offers for the 21-year-old"

"we have no intentions of selling him."

"We have told Derby he is not for sale and that is the end of the matter as far as we’re concerned"

The above would make our chairman look a bit daft if he was to accept an offer from you - and it's not very often that someone gets one over him.

In the past when players have expressed a desire to leave, or there has been interest in players that we are not actively looking to move on (Curtis Davies, Diomansy Kamara, Jason Koumas, Jonathan Greening) the statement from the club has been more along the lines of:

"We are not looking to sell XXXXXX and he will only be allowed to leave if an offer is made that meets our valuation of the player"

And when he doesn't want to sell our chairman's valuations can be quite high - those 4 above were sold for a combined total of over £25m!

It's also worth noting that when Koumas fell out with the club, he was put on the transfer list and loaned out to Cardiff. He was a hit at Ninian and so Cardiff then tried to sign him on the 'cheap', but Peace wouldn't budge on his valuation. Whilst negotiations continued, Koumas effectively went on strike and refused to train at Albion - in an attempt to burn his bridges and force a deal through (sound familiar?) however Peace was having none of it and forced him to return to Albion.

So as I said, I would be very surprised if Thorne was now sold - unless you came in with a silly bid like £4 or £5m, which I guess is unlikely.

In the past players that have fell out with Albion and have tried but ultimately failed to force moves (Koumas & Odemwingie spring to mind) have then been given the opportunity to return, patch things up and revive their careers at the Albion. I am pretty sure that Thorne will also be given this opportunity. If he takes it we might just have a good player on out hands, if he refuses the offer I can see him spending the next 3 years training with the youth team.

Of course all of the above is just my opinion - it will be very interesting to see how things actually unfold over the next few weeks.

Hi

Having read the clubs statement (and also knowing what our chairman is like) I would be very surprised if Thorne was allowed to rejoin Derby.

"We have told Derby he is not for sale and that is the end of the matter as far as we’re concerned"

The above would make our chairman look a bit daft if he was to accept an offer from you - and it's not very often that someone gets one over him.

In the past when players have expressed a desire to leave, or there has been interest in players that we are not actively looking to move on (Curtis Davies, Diomansy Kamara, Jason Koumas, Jonathan Greening) the statement from the club has been more along the lines of:

"We are not looking to sell XXXXXX and he will only be allowed to leave if an offer is made that meets our valuation of the player"

And when he doesn't want to sell our chairman's valuations can be quite high - those 4 above were sold for a combined total of over £25m!

It's also worth noting that when Koumas fell out with the club, he was put on the transfer list and loaned out to Cardiff. He was a hit at Ninian and so Cardiff then tried to sign him on the 'cheap', but Peace wouldn't budge on his valuation. Whilst negotiations continued, Koumas effectively went on strike and refused to train at Albion - in an attempt to burn his bridges and force a deal through (sound familiar?) however Peace was having none of it and forced him to return to Albion.

So as I said, I would be very surprised if Thorne was now sold - unless you came in with a silly bid like £4 or £5m, which I guess is unlikely.

In the past players that have fell out with Albion and have tried but ultimately failed to force moves (Koumas & Odemwingie spring to mind) have then been given the opportunity to return, patch things up and revive their careers at the Albion. I am pretty sure that Thorne will also be given this opportunity. If he takes it we might just have a good player on out hands, if he refuses the offer I can see him spending the next 3 years training with the youth team.

Of course all of the above is just my opinion - it will be very interesting to see how things actually unfold over the next few weeks.

You might be right but hope you are wrong. Not saying your chairman is but sam rush isnt a fool we dont even know if this is a true (public) bid.

Oh come on, you're meant to be a d*ck about the play-off final and make jokes about the worst team in history, not be so bloody reasonable.

And you wonder why you guys are without a manager and have more or less a dozen or so players on the books.

Poor man management, ask yourself why a player would rather drop a level than play/rott away for you lot.

You have a young talented kid in George Thorne on the books, he's more than proved himself during his loan sin here and yet you've gone out and signed soddin Gardner WITHOUT a manager.

Doesn't add up.

You might be right but hope you are wrong. Not saying your chairman is but sam rush isnt a fool we dont even know if this is a true (public) bid.

That's the problem, it's mainly speculation at the moment.

None of us know what goes on behind closed doors - and to say that Thornes comments were bizarre is an understatement - from the outside he appears to have treated our club like **** - he was just starting to break into the 1st team when he got that awful injury. The club appear to have stuck by him and believed in him - sending him out on loan to regain fitness and offering him an improved contract. I'm not sure what more they could have done for him - and then he comes out with that statement, talking like he's the next Ronaldo!

However one thing I am sure of is that things have not been right behind the scenes at the Albion for quite sometime and there are a lot of unhappy people within the club right now, for various different reasons. 

Hi

But all the players mentioned played pretty big parts in your first team didn't they? George hasn't impressed when given the chance in the West Brom first team and I doubt you'd be able to give him the first team action he wants (And needs) next season either

For 7 or 8 of the last 9 seasons you've had to sell players in order to buy, so I can't see you rejecting a 2 or 3 million bid (If we make an offer that high) for a player who isn't likely to feature just to prove a point when the funds you'd receive could be used on strengthening areas of your first team

Oh come on, you're meant to be a d*ck about the play-off final and make jokes about the worst team in history, not be so bloody reasonable.

I couldn't give a stuff about a play off final that we lost 7 years ago!

We were the better team on the day. You scored, we didn't. I was gutted, you were elated. **** happens - that's football.

It's an opening bid for a player that's almost impossible to put a value on.

21 years old, has had a serious injury in the past, only had a handful of games on loan to be fair, despite looking good in that time. From what I can tell he only has ~45 career appearances. The key really is what the clubs end up settling on, but how on Earth do you put a price on him? If you told me we were chasing a 21 year old with a massive 8 Premier League games, then a bit under 40 games at various Championship clubs, and followed that up with "in excess of £1.5 million bid", if I hadn't seen the lad play I'd be laughing.

The key is that we need to be realistic, we need to not blow our budget on him and only him, we can't put our hopes in one basket, and if West Brom really are in excess of '£1.5 mil' wanting to keep him, then we may well just leave it and more onto other targets. We haven't had 6 years of cutting back and frugal spending to blow it all on a player with a similar level of Championship experience to O'Brien.

I think Thorne could be absolutely vital next season, but we have to be realistic. To call a £1 mil bid for him "absolutely pathetic" is hugely unrealistic. We weren't going to ever get him for that, but it's a fair place to start talks.

But all the players mentioned played pretty big parts in your first team didn't they? George hasn't impressed when given the chance in the West Brom first team and I doubt you'd be able to give him the first team action he wants (And needs) next season either

For 7 or 8 of the last 9 seasons you've had to sell players in order to buy, so I can't see you rejecting a 2 or 3 million bid (If we make an offer that high) for a player who isn't likely to feature just to prove a point when the funds you'd receive could be used on strengthening areas of your first team

If you think our chairman won't turn down good money in order to prove a point then think again. How much he would be willing to turn down is another matter, but I suspect it would be more than Derby are willing to bid.

Archived