Birmingham City v Derby County

sage

Can't remember feeling as gutted by the result ad I did walking back to the car park today.

Hughes was immense today, as was Ward. Thought Bucko had a poor game, sorry to say.

Hendrick pales in comparison to his former self.

1-3 up though, should've been 5 or 6. When we attack we look brilliant at times, some of the link up play with Forsyth, Martin, Ward, Bryson and Hughes was brilliant. Great team to watch.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All eleven from crosses and corners and dead balls.? Obviously we defend as a team but the defenders need to defend and they are not doing it.

defenders don't need to defend the crosses and corners given away by the team, because obviously we shouldn't be giving crosses and corners away. If we don't keep the ball and give cheap ball away from all areas of the pitch, we give the opposition more chances and that is the key to the game. Hence eradicate more, and results improve. How many games of football have you played in your life, where individuals are happy to take the glory, but are nowhere to be seen when it comes to protecting the ball, keeping the ball and turning their opposition to face their own goal. The team keeps the ball to themselves, and the good teams, when they lose it, get it back as quickly as possible and keep it within the team, restricting the opposition to the least opportunities.

defenders don't need to defend the crosses and corners given away by the team, because obviously we shouldn't be giving crosses and corners away. If we don't keep the ball and give cheap ball away from all areas of the pitch, we give the opposition more chances and that is the key to the game. Hence eradicate more, and results improve. How many games of football have you played in your life, where individuals are happy to take the glory, but are nowhere to be seen when it comes to protecting the ball, keeping the ball and turning their opposition to face their own goal. The team keeps the ball to themselves, and the good teams, when they lose it, get it back as quickly as possible and keep it within the team, restricting the opposition to the least opportunities.

I agree with this but quality defenders deal with dead balls coming into the box even though as you say the amount they have to deal with should be restricted by taking care of the ball and keeping possession and not giving away silly free kicks as Eustace did today when he was booked for the 9th time.

The more a team attacks the more likely they are to be hit on the break but as Mac has said the 2nd goal was a joke because the defense should have dealt with it.

The other 2 goals came from rank bad defending in the box .

I believe the away attendances was around 2500. It was pretty infuriating to turn up and be told people can pay on the gate because we'd been repeatedly told we couldn't and thus would have had more numbers had we known.

Atmosphere was good from us, truly awful from them. I do wish we spent more time singing Derby songs and less time trying to wind up opposing fans though.

Performance wise most of our players were actually very good. Hughes closer to his best than he has been, Ward fantastic Martin very very good, Russell was excellent when he came on. Bamford is an interesting one. He has so much naturally ability but he looks lazy to me. He got an absolute rollicking after the second goal for negating his defensive duties. He actually doesn't do that much in between his goals.

Birmingham were obviously lucky but got to ask defensive questions. I don't blame Bucko and Keogh as much as everyone else. We invited pressure through continuous aggressive midfield play. Why we were pushing for a fourth so hard at 3-1 up I do not know. Eustace is the only midfielder with an ounce of defensive ability. They're heaping pressure on the back four at times. The last goal disappointed me because I felt like we could have cleared the ball as it was bouncing around. After seeing the goals again on TV I'm asking questions about Granty again as well. He's so patchy it's unreal. Switches from excellent to scary.

Win at home and draw away as an objective is nonsense for this team I'm afraid. Win against poor teams and draw against top teams is nearer the objective. That was 2 points dropped not 1 point gained. Birmingham are poor and lacking confidence.

However, I don't was us to change the way we play. We frighten teams with our attacking play. In most games we have more chances than the opposition and we will therefore win more than we lose. Keep the faith people. If we beat QPR then 4 points from the 2 games will have been a good return.

Win at home and draw away as an objective is nonsense for this team I'm afraid. Win against poor teams and draw against top teams is nearer the objective. That was 2 points dropped not 1 point gained. Birmingham are poor and lacking confidence.

However, I don't was us to change the way we play. We frighten teams with our attacking play. In most games we have more chances than the opposition and we will therefore win more than we lose. Keep the faith people. If we beat QPR then 4 points from the 2 games will have been a good return.

That's a big if I'm finding it hard to get over yesterday's draw which felt like a defeat.

We've shipped 5 goals against 2 bottom of the table sides

That's a big if I'm finding it hard to get over yesterday's draw which felt like a defeat.

We've shipped 5 goals against 2 bottom of the table sides

Ok but we need to get behind the Rams for the QPR game. Sure there need to be  a post mortem on the Brum game but we need to put that behind us and roar on the Rams on Monday week.

People are saying our defenders are to blame as we play an attacking style of play, they didn't stop goals under our previous manager who was more defensive.

Think they're to blame as much as anyone. But not more.

We used to invite pressure under Clough too much.

Be a bit fairer if the right people were getting blamed at the right time.

It happens.. Overall if you're a good team, you'll win more than you lose. We are a good attacking team, and if we don't go up this season, likely we will next. Makes me laugh when people talk about poor goals to give away. Is there such a thing as a good goal to give away? You will be amazed to learn that most of the goals we score are considered poor goals to give away by the other team!

I would like Thorn to have come on. I'm afraid Hendrick is not up to the standard required now.

Watching that, 1st goal too easy to get the cross in (forsyth and midfielder), free header (Keogh). 2nd who was marking Macheda (Buxton)? Too easy to get shot in (forsyth) 3rd who was marking Macheda again? (Eusatce) Wisdom should have done better at the bear post. Too many standing watching the ball.

Archived