Birmingham City v Derby County

sage

Woeful defending. I still say that stems from not having a dominant centre half, and by that I mean someone who ensures a bank of four marking tightly at all times by barking at them throughout. 

The last goal yesterday was difficult to stop once the near post header was won by them. But that's been a regular occurrence this year, too. 

Still - we can't have everything. This season has been one of the most entertaining in memory. The entertainment comes at a cost.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone getting on at Buxton... easily our best centre-half for me.

For his actual contribution, interceptions, headers won...etc he is one of the best in the Championship - certainly our best centre half.

We could do with a top centre back - Dan Burn at Birmingham was fantastic, now he's gone straight into Fulham's side.

But the only centre back in the whole division, in the top 20 for headers won pg and pass accuracy over 80%... there is only one, anyone want to guess?

Grass isn't always greener.

in fact... i've just had a look and can paint a picture.

the two players with the worst pass accuracy yesterday in our team was Buxton (63%)(avg 81%) and Keogh (54%)(avg 83%)... that's staggering.

Bux - 12 attemp clearances, 12 effective clearances

Keogh - 9 attemp, 9 effective

Bux won 6 headers, Keogh just 2...

Without watching, or listening to the game - i'm going to say the criticism is down to distribution? still, he was the better centre back on the day.

- also.. quite a funny one. Their keeper incredibly played 21 long balls... only ONE was accurate. He was given a pass success of just 16% lowest I've ever seen (for a starting player) similarly Grant played just 6, landed 3.

So if Dan Burn was so great, why was his team hovering above the relagation zone?

For me the key to stemming the flow of goals against is defensive midfield. Eustace is being beaten too easily. Is Thorne that type of player? I only ask because Hendrick isn't.

I believe the away attendances was around 2500. It was pretty infuriating to turn up and be told people can pay on the gate because we'd been repeatedly told we couldn't and thus would have had more numbers had we known.

Atmosphere was good from us, truly awful from them. I do wish we spent more time singing Derby songs and less time trying to wind up opposing fans though.

Performance wise most of our players were actually very good. Hughes closer to his best than he has been, Ward fantastic Martin very very good, Russell was excellent when he came on. Bamford is an interesting one. He has so much naturally ability but he looks lazy to me. He got an absolute rollicking after the second goal for negating his defensive duties. He actually doesn't do that much in between his goals.

Birmingham were obviously lucky but got to ask defensive questions. I don't blame Bucko and Keogh as much as everyone else. We invited pressure through continuous aggressive midfield play. Why we were pushing for a fourth so hard at 3-1 up I do not know. Eustace is the only midfielder with an ounce of defensive ability. They're heaping pressure on the back four at times. The last goal disappointed me because I felt like we could have cleared the ball as it was bouncing around. After seeing the goals again on TV I'm asking questions about Granty again as well. He's so patchy it's unreal. Switches from excellent to scary.

These lines in your post thatgumyoulike back up my post above yours about "how many games of football have you played in your life, (or watched) where individuals are happy to take the glory, but are nowhere to be seen when it comes to protecting the ball, keeping the ball and turning their opposition to face their own goal. The team keeps the ball to themselves, and the good teams, when they lose it, get it back as quickly as possible and keep it within the team, restricting the opposition to the least opportunities etc.

A lot of fans will also get carried away by whoever is putting the ball into the back of the net, but to me, it's the players that put in their regular shifts, keeping the ball out of our own goal, and enabling the goalscorers to get their rewards, and these are the real important players to any football club. I've said for years that Derby have always been on the lightweight side, especially when it comes to winning tackles and being strong in midfield, to protect everyone and most importantly to protect our ball, we have to make the football ours every game. Dave Mackay get your boots on.  

And I'm not haveing a go at Bamford or any other player at our football club, because I support everyone of them and only want them to improve to their full capabilities so we all as fans, enjoy the real football rewards.      

in fact... i've just had a look and can paint a picture.

the two players with the worst pass accuracy yesterday in our team was Buxton (63%)(avg 81%) and Keogh (54%)(avg 83%)... that's staggering.

Bux - 12 attemp clearances, 12 effective clearances

Keogh - 9 attemp, 9 effective

Bux won 6 headers, Keogh just 2...

Without watching, or listening to the game - i'm going to say the criticism is down to distribution? still, he was the better centre back on the day.

- also.. quite a funny one. Their keeper incredibly played 21 long balls... only ONE was accurate. He was given a pass success of just 16% lowest I've ever seen (for a starting player) similarly Grant played just 6, landed 3.

His distribution would've been my main complaint. He also seemed to take a lot of time on the ball and almost git caught out a couple of times. When under pressure he panicked which was quite surprising coz I usually think of him as being stone cold under pressure.

Suppose you could blame the midfield for him lacking an outlet.

Archived