The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd like to think that things would come to a head and the bubble would burst eventually, but who knows. FFP sounded like a good idea once, but I'm sure clubs are just sitting there right now coming up with novel and creative ways to circumvent the rules.

Plus it makes the gap bigger.

It was sold as something that will level the playing field. All it does is ask clubs to spend what they earn. Pots of gold for the Champions League clubs. Pots of coins for Premiership clubs. And pots to piss in for the rest of us.

I don't agree with a lot of cliches, however, play-offs in an essence are a lottery - just a lottery with 4 people, one holding 5 tickets, another 15, another 1 and another 300 (if you catch my drift)

It usually comes out in the wash though, but when we played WBA in the play-off final, we weren't the better side but we won promotion.

Yeovil weren't better than Forest...etc

Do you think the money in football will ever dry up? It is very fashionable now especially abroad but people tend to forget how unfashionable it once was!

When the world can do without mobile phones and fridges.

I don't agree with a lot of cliches, however, play-offs in an essence are a lottery - just a lottery with 4 people, one holding 5 tickets, another 15, another 1 and another 300 (if you catch my drift)

It usually comes out in the wash though, but when we played WBA in the play-off final, we weren't the better side but we won promotion.

Yeovil are always better than Forest, even when they loose.

Play offs are always a lottery as they have no bearing on how a team has played all season. Over 46 games you will finish pretty much where you deserve to. Within that season you will have had the odd game where you were untouchable and equally, where you were dogshite......but over a season that is averaged out. Not so with the play offs, to scrape through a play off two leg semi-final plus a Wembley final is possible if everything goes for you during those three games.

We beat Southampton on penalties to get to the final back in 2007.....penalties ffs........absolute lottery!

Its a cruel way to end a season and designed to extract every last penny from long suffering fans.

If we played the gumps in a two leg semi we could blow it like we did at Blackburn some years ago or coast through like we did vs Millwall! Or scrape through like Southampton.....impossible to predict.

For a gump to say its not a lottery after their pisspoor experiences is a bit daft.

Good job were going up automatically i reckon.

Bloody Blackburn. Thanks for digging that memory out, Utch. 2-0 up after 15 minutes away from home and failed to get through.

I still hate David Speedie.

Bloody Blackburn. Thanks for digging that memory out, Utch. 2-0 up after 15 minutes away from home and failed to get through.

I still hate David Speedie.

Blackburn is the perfect example. A 20 minute spell cost us promotion, despite everything that happened all season, a poor 20 minute spell in one game fooks you up!

I bet your one of these that says 'form goes out the window when it's a derby' as well

Another load of tosh :)

No, I'm fully against that cliche.

How is the playoffs not a lottery? Do you honestly believe the best team always wins? Do you think Derby won the 2007 playoffs by skill? Southampton hammered us in that second leg and we won due to an own goal, a goal from a corner and a dodgy penalty shootout.

I remember watching Huddersfield against P'Boro in the playoff final a few years ago. 0-0 with 77mins gone, P'Boro score from a set-piece and then Huddersfield collapse and lose 3-0.

48 games and 75 minutes just to have a nightmare 15 mins and it's season over.

Then Huddersfield beat Sheff Utd on penalties in the final a year later despite missing the first THREE penalties. How is that not a lottery?

I remember watching Huddersfield against P'Boro in the playoff final a few years ago. 0-0 with 77mins gone, P'Boro score from a set-piece and then Huddersfield collapse and lose 3-0.

Then Huddersfield beat Sheff Utd on penalties in the final a year later despite missing the first THREE penalties. How is that not a lottery?

"http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/empics/20120526/18/2264700875-26052012183144" alt="2264700875-26052012183144">

What a way to win promotion though, 22nd penalty scored by your keeper secures your place in the division above - I can't imagine it.

Champions League is something similar mind...

"http://stream1soup.com/view4/2265371/john-terry-penalty-miss-o" alt="john-terry-penalty-miss-o">

Lost it on that, can you imagine.

It's an entertainment sport, and their is definitely nothing more entertaining that a play-off/penalty scenario.. brilliant.

Let's get one thing straight here just because third place doesn't get promoted and sixth does, that doesn't mean it's a Lottery it means that six place played better than third in the play offs.

Lottery definition:

a situation whose success or outcome is governed by chance.

Are you saying missing a penalty is because of 'chance' ?

This is the biggest myth on this forum....we weren't the better side when we beat west brom...... Check out how many more points we got than they did that season... We were a LOT better then they were. We were the third best team in he league.

The play offs are not a lottery at all.

This is the biggest myth on this forum....we weren't the better side when we beat west brom...... Check out how many more points we got than they did that season... We were a LOT better then they were. We were the third best team in he league.

But by that theory the team in 3rd should go up every year.

Likewise, though, if the play offs are a lottery, then so is every other cup competition. But that could be true too. If it just went on who's the best team, then the same team would win everything during a season.

Where as a league is based on performances over a full year (which, by the way, is why Brian said he valued winning the league more than the European cup), a cup competition is about who's best on the day, and not a representation of the whole season.

That can be dictated by a lucky gust of wind, or a deflection off a balloon. Therefore dictated by chance... A lottery.

Having said that, sometimes the best team just plays well and wins. But it wouldn't be fun if that team was always 3rd place. It's fun to see a Blackpool promoted, as long as you're not one of the other 3 teams involved.

What is different between a play off game and a league Game? Nothing. If the play offs are a lottery then so are individual league games.

The balloon is one instance in 50 years where an outcome on an event was effected by something totally spontaneous.

So you ll all agree we lost to Swansea by the laws of chance and not by can't score against 10 men and KBD deciding not to play the top goal scorer in the second leg.

;)

Plus we'd already beaten them at PP, and were incredibly unfortunate to lose to a last minute goal at their place.

Archived