The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one do not like the modern take on cup competitions.

Imagine the memories that wigan, Portsmouth, Stoke, sunderland, Swansea, blackburn, Birmingham have had with cup finals. Some not finishing how they wanted but some had the day of their life's.

Playing wigan at home summed it up for me singing 'we know wht we are, we know what we are, FA cup champions, we know what we are' imagine being able to sing tht at every ground you visit

The whole concentrating of the league mentality doesn't wash with me. If we go up it'll be 'we need to concentrate on staying in the division' then it'll be 'we need to cement our place in the premier league' and so on and so on.

There's always an excuse for managers an fans to use. There's also no evidence to show that playing a weakened team helps your league form.

I'm particularly slightly upset that pearce who told us earlier in the season 'we ll play our best team in every competition cos that's the way I've been brought up at the club'

Tottenham were there for the taking on Wednesday and a win there could of been the inspiration that really bonded the team for promotion.

On a positive note it got some much needed minutes into the legs of Vaughn, wilson, JL, paterson, Veldwjik and its shown we have some real strength in depth.

Exactly true Stoners, really they play football, if it affects them that much to have to play an extra game once every couple of months because they are still in the League cup then they need to seriously look at their fitness....they haven't got other jobs after all..!

I thought you would turn up with a decent team and spank Spurs, they were definitely there for the taking and what about the few thousand Forest fans who travelled down to London on a Wednesday night to effectively watch a reserve game?

The best thing about the cup is that unlike the league, anyone can win it....Luton, Wimbledon, Coventry, Wigan, Portsmouth etc etc (I was going to put Forest in that list too but I am being nice)

Exactly true Stoners, really they play football, if it affects them that much to have to play an extra game once every couple of months because they are still in the League cup then they need to seriously look at their fitness....they haven't got other jobs after all..!

I thought you would turn up with a decent team and spank Spurs, they were definitely there for the taking and what about the few thousand Forest fans who travelled down to London on a Wednesday night to effectively watch a reserve game?

The best thing about the cup is that unlike the league, anyone can win it....Luton, Wimbledon, Coventry, Wigan, Portsmouth etc etc (I was going to put Forest in that list too but I am being nice)

Exactly

20k of us travelled down there on a cold Wednesday night after work to be dealt that team sheet was a massive downer.

Although you have to agree we were loud that night. They used to call Highbury the library but I think it's now at WHL.

The highlight was them singing you only sing when your winning after they took the league. Stupid cockneys. Oh maybe they was singing it to themselves

Also we ve been concentrating on the league for the last 15 years. Where the FUK ha that got us

Established in the Championship, don't forget where you're from League 1! Love it when small clubs get cocky, being in the Championship still is a massive achievement, look at Yeovil, they didn't last long

I for one do not like the modern take on cup competitions.

Imagine the memories that wigan, Portsmouth, Stoke, sunderland, Swansea, blackburn, Birmingham have had with cup finals. Some not finishing how they wanted but some had the day of their life's.

Playing wigan at home summed it up for me singing 'we know wht we are, we know what we are, FA cup champions, we know what we are' imagine being able to sing tht at every ground you visit

The whole concentrating of the league mentality doesn't wash with me. If we go up it'll be 'we need to concentrate on staying in the division' then it'll be 'we need to cement our place in the premier league' and so on and so on.

There's always an excuse for managers an fans to use. There's also no evidence to show that playing a weakened team helps your league form.

I'm particularly slightly upset that pearce who told us earlier in the season 'we ll play our best team in every competition cos that's the way I've been brought up at the club'

Tottenham were there for the taking on Wednesday and a win there could of been the inspiration that really bonded the team for promotion.

On a positive note it got some much needed minutes into the legs of Vaughn, wilson, JL, paterson, Veldwjik and its shown we have some real strength in depth.

Don't get me wrong I'm disappointed whenever Forest lose a game, particularly from a winning position. But looking at the bigger picture we have bigger fish to fry and with some of our players' fitness records we could do without sticking our best 11 out for over 50 high-intensity games a season. We have good depth in some positions, decent depth in others but I'm concious of the fact that our bad run at the end of last season began with a cup defeat (following us having to go to Preston for a replay).

I agree that Premier League clubs should have more of a go in the cup as they (maybe Burnley aside) have squads to cope with more than one competition. However nobody except Norwich at this level really can have a real go at the cups whilst sustaining a promotion challenge.

I for one don't understand why anyone except City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool would not take this seriously. Everton and Spurs are in Europe, so they could be excused, but 4 out of those 6 are still in the competition.

Progression = more money.

and as someone said, which would you rather have?

"Remember when we finished 10th in the Prem?"

or 

"Remember when we went to Wembley for the League Cup final?"

People still talk about that Commons goal...

Archived