Random Thought

Ramarena

My take, Bucko is a decent passer of the ball as a centre half, but that's when he's got a bit of time on the ball and his options are all in front of him.

A defensive midfielder in my opinion needs to be someone who is comfortable picking it up off the back four, turning with it (or half turning) but getting it out of your feet quickly and in the same movement passing it, knocking it, lofting it, pinging it, whatever you want to call it.  As well as protecting the back four, he's someone you can give the ball to in a tight spot and know that he's going to hold onto it. He's the link.

Bucko is fine if the balls in front of him but acting as the link man, would you honestly fancy Bucko to play quick little one twos on the edge of our 18 yard box?

Neither his feet or his brain are quick enough.

HIs passing is fine for where he is but I'd be crapping bricks if he got the ball facing his own goal or needed to dictate the play.

As previously said (although some may not agree) Coutts is the man.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As previously said (although some may not agree) Coutts is the man.

Big fan of Coutts myself and would prefer to see him given the gig than have him not get in the side.

Not sure I've ever seen him off his feet making a challenge though and he would need to get his foot in.

In terms of looking after or even carrying the ball I reckon he's the best we've got.

I'd agree that bucko is an accurate passer of the ball for a defender, but I don't want to see him playing long balls. Generally, he'll play a couple of long passes a game that are inaccurate and the others that will find their target, who is being closed down by the time the ball has arrived or loses it when controlling the ball. I think you can see a difference when Hendrick or Russell switches play and the ball is quicker and finds someone in space.

I feel when Bucko resorts to playing these balls, its when we've stopped playing football and would rather he look to pass it to Hughes, Eustace or along the back four. I felt this was the big problem on Friday night, but Grant being more to blame, by booting it out to the wings instead of passing through the defense.

Can't see him in the defensive midfielder role, as its not an easy position to play and he'd have little time on the ball. Eustace's problem is his lack of speed and mobility, so I can't see why we'd want the back up to be Buxton. As for Sammon playing there. He'd be great, with his tight control and excellent passing range...

15th in the stats for all defenders behind a couple of ex prem players but interestingly above knockaert and drinkwater at fester and barton as well! not bad sir Jake, not bad at all

but i dont think he's mobile enough to play CDM in all honesty, although it'd be interesting to see him tried out there in a friendly or something

Archived