Buildings around town

PrivateDerby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be semi serious for once, it's the stretch of buildings down Irongate to the Market Place. Irongate was remodelled in the late 19th century and the east side buildings were all rebuilt if I recall to let the road be doubled in width. Derby is a city of quiet pleasures; no sod off monoliths. But abseils, peregrines and carols at the Cathedral, remembering great nights at Queen Street baths in the punk years, the proud buildings on the west side (some now proudly dispensing ale). And at the Dolphin almost banging your head on the 16th century roof remembering Jacobites passed this way and may well have drunk here on the way to Swarkestone.

Though, I'd swap the lot for a place on the Popside seeing the man Mackay or Roy Mac lead the Champions out.

I think Derby is ugly. Derbyshire, beautiful. Derby? Major ugly.

That really cool modern building outside the assembly rooms is the ugliest building I've seen in a long time. There are nice bits dotted here and there that somebody didn't decide to destroy by being 'modern'.

Modern building infront of Assembly rooms? Vile

Westfield? Yuk

Bus Station? LOL!!!

Nottingham is better looking. Just been infested by scumbags stops you seeing the buildings for what they are.

Now Bath, Chester, Oxford...

Yeah I know there's a lot of glass and cladding that spoils the place but what about the Florence Nightingale on London Rd? That really needs sorting.

Does anyone know what's happening with that big place at the bottom of Uttoxeter Rd? The one with no roof? What was it?!

Went for a walk up Hartington Street last time, what the fook has happened there? Surely one of if not the best looking street in Derby... only walked up and down it but saw two dealing, three or four pros and one p*ssing behind a car.

How do buildings like that even get built. Buildings like the Assembly rooms or the bus station, fair enough, some people will hate it, but you can see an architect put a bit of thought into it. Buildings like this have had no effort whatsoever. Whoever was building must have known it was going to look like a blot on the landscape, and didn't give a folk. I hate that.

Meanwhile, I think Derby is really quite nice looking. Look up, beyond the shop fronts like Silly Sid's (wtf), and there's some really nice Georgian rooftops and things. And the modern stuff is at least contemporary and shows an evolving city. There is thought and effort behind most of the buildings in the centre. I've always been a massive fan of the way Derby City Centre is quite compact. You can walk around the whole thing in about half an hour, but still enjoy a full day there. Not unlike hobbits.

But Derbyshire, in my opinion, the most gorgeous county in the country. I'm dead proud of coming from Derbyshire. And my wife, who grew up in Peru, in the Amazon jungle, with the Andes as a backdrop, wouldn't swap Derbyshire for any other county in England (tried Leicestershire, didn't like it).

Yeah I know there's a lot of glass and cladding that spoils the place but what about the Florence Nightingale on London Rd? That really needs sorting.

Does anyone know what's happening with that big place at the bottom of Uttoxeter Rd? The one with no roof? What was it?!

Went for a walk up Hartington Street last time, what the fook has happened there? Surely one of if not the best looking street in Derby... only walked up and down it but saw two dealing, three or four pros and one p*ssing behind a car.

railway station

Archived