Buildings around town

PrivateDerby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Waterfall is some building, as are the Railway Terrace's... which is what my change pot is for.

It is very nice. The old theatre upstairs is spectacular (did need a little bit of work on the ceiling)

The old Railway Institute building (the Waterfall), is a gem of a place. Went in there as a kid with me dad when it was the railway building, I was only young but remember snooker tables, smoky bars and serious men discussing "union business" and younger workers getting pissed cheaply!

Utch was it ever a college? Or night school? My Granddad reckoned he went there, forgotten what for though.

Having worked there for over 6 years, PD, that is the 1st time I have heard of a night school/college in the building. I will ask the current owner if he has heard anything about it. I know that there used to be a library in one of the upstairs rooms, dunno if that helps.

Thanks a lot, the only info I found was that they had a training and lecture room so maybe summat was held in there.

Was it Alpha who said Notts had better buildings in the centre? Must admit, it is smart to walk around, thing is you end up bumping into people (dirty red dogs) and come home with a rash all for admiring old brickwork.

Utch was it ever a college? Or night school? My Granddad reckoned he went there, forgotten what for though.

Spoke to the old fella about the building. He worked for BR at Derby for over 30 years from the early 60's onwards and it was always the Railway Institue. 

There was training rooms, lectures, etc, a Library (as Rynny said), as well as a bar, snooker room, like a working mens club type thing where the rail lads could go after work for a bite to eat and a few sherberts.

"sorry i'm late love, i had to attend a lecture/training course after work int Institute, hic!", was the standard excuse for a burnt supper apparently. :D

He thinks it was originally built as a hotel for the railway along with the worker's terraces but not 100% sure.

Spoke to the old fella about the building. He worked for BR at Derby for over 30 years from the early 60's onwards and it was always the Railway Institue.

There was training rooms, lectures, etc, a Library (as Rynny said), as well as a bar, snooker room, like a working mens club type thing where the rail lads could go after work for a bite to eat and a few sherberts.

"sorry i'm late love, i had to attend a lecture/training course after work int Institute, hic!", was the standard excuse for a burnt supper apparently. :D

He thinks it was originally built as a hotel for the railway along with the worker's terraces but not 100% sure.

That is almost 100% description but it definitely wasn't built as a hotel. The structure of the rooms wouldn't be possible. The houses next to it along midland road were built around the same time, maybe just before.

In fact I did come across some pictures from early 1900s (I think) of the building and there was dinner hall, library and a theatre upstairs.

The old Railway Institute building (the Waterfall), is a gem of a place. Went in there as a kid with me dad when it was the railway building, I was only young but remember snooker tables, smoky bars and serious men discussing "union business" and younger workers getting pissed cheaply!

I used to go there once a year for the Derby Railway Institute Fishing Club annual awards night. Superb snooker room - Riley tables.

Archived