An evening with Sam Rush, 6th November Derby Theatre.

Boycie

I was sceptical about this - but it looks like it's actually true. He was Beckham's sports lawyer at the time through the SFX Agency

http://www.thelawyer.com/ex-bird-and-bird-lawyer-lands-beckham-deal/98867.article

What this bit of Google research actually shows is the remarkable ascendency of the guy's career.

In 1996 he was an ex-Saracen's left winger training to be a Sports Lawyer with SJ Berwin.

Then qualified and moved to Bird & Bird and by January 2002 had been head-hunted to become the head lawyer for Clear Channel Entertainment’s sport and theatre groups.

Within 18 months he had been promoted to Chief Operating Officer for the whole of the Sports group (SFX) which was then bought out by Wasserman and he continued in the role for nearly 10 years before getting the Derby County gig.

Fair play to the bloke, the Derby role is a massive risk to his impressive CV if he cocks this up. I'm surprised it appealed to him really

Um.....i think there was a bit of spin in there.

The bit i liked best was the honesty in the you 'so you are a crap rugby player as well as a crap lawyer' story.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The questions were not pre-agreed as two of our group's questions were asked and we only filled the slips in 5 minutes before it started. The interviewer had dozens of these slips in his hand and was constantly looking at them during the initial interview stage before the questions started. It is more likely that he had been told to avoid certain subjects.

Is there a question in particular that you would have wanted to have been asked? All of my questions have been answered over the two events I have seen, even if indirectly.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the host's questions were pre agreed. The audience questions were merely filtered (albeit impressively by the host who was asking questions, reacting to answers and filtering the questions).

The questions were not pre-agreed as two of our group's questions were asked and we only filled the slips in 5 minutes before it started.

You weren't in front of row L were you (row K).

I got there seconds before it started after encountering traffic in Nottingham, then on Osmaston Road.

Ah right - well all the stuff I wrote was from various press releases I found on the web from different points in his career. It seems remarkable that he went from trainee lawyer to Chief Operating Officer in a global sports agency within such a short space of time. Some may call it "gift of the gab" - others may call it a "diploma in bullsh!t" but he's certainly got something

He's been with us since January and has sought to restructure the club from top to bottom so that, in my opinion, it looks in far better shape. The change in management would never have happened under Glick and co, and I'm glad he's highlighted things like the poor scouting.

I wouldn't expect him to lay his soul open to bunch of supporters but I would expect him to meet the fans, which is what has been happening. If anything, there are too many of these things.

I'm not sure what he's done so far that would attract criticism, other than the timing of Nigel's sacking, but we don't know who drove that.

I'm happy the club's in his hands.

I agree that so far he has done nothing "wrong" per se, but then he's not had a full season at the club, so he's stil in the honeymoon period where it's all about restructuring and changing things to be done his way. He's obviously one level removed from the manager, so it will always be the manager who takes the rap for results before Sam Rush does, but what I find interesting is that he's clearly a good talker, and there will come a time fairly soon when he will have nowhere to hide if the results don't come (in reality of we don't start challenging for promotion)

That's why I find it odd that the job appealed to him. His previous roles have all carried a lot of prestige, responsibility and a good salary, whilst being relatively far removed from the public eye. He has never had a job where his performance and actions will be under so much scrutiny from many thousands of customers (or "fans" as we prefer to be called). There are a limited number of ways he can talk his way out of us not getting promoted AGAIN.

You weren't in front of row L were you (row K).

I got there seconds before it started after encountering traffic in Nottingham, then on Osmaston Road.

No, very front row in the middle. Got 8 tickets as soon as they were available (now that sounds very sad but it was just coincidence - honest :) )

I like him! Seems very ambitious and I think it's what the club is needing and has lacked recently!

Sam rush wants derby county to be a success! It might be for selfish reasons but I don't care to be honest, someone who wants success for derby is ok in my book

I like him! Seems very ambitious and I think it's what the club is needing and has lacked recently!

Sam rush wants derby county to be a success! It might be for selfish reasons but I don't care to be honest, someone who wants success for derby is ok in my book

Totally agree. He may fail but we needed someone with balls to take us forward. I get the impression he is giving it all that he's got and as a Derby fan, that's all I could ever ask.

Totally agree. He may fail but we needed someone with balls to take us forward. I get the impression he is giving it all that he's got and as a Derby fan, that's all I could ever ask.

He's putting his reputation on the line, sacking Clough is as brave a decision as you'll get for me. Many fans were content with this slow progression, Sam rush wasn't and personally I was struggling with it as well. I imagine he's had to convince the board to release funds for this push and sell them a new direction. He's gone all out for it and I love that.

Tom glick was a pr man happy to spin anything as it kept his bosses happy. I imagine rush to be totally the opposite. He won't settle for five years treading water in the championship and neither should we

I'm all for going for it, I'll even buy a piece of the McClaren, Steele, Simpson, (Eranio???), dream team dream vibe that's doing the rounds...but ultimately it's players that win matches and grab promotions. If we aren't going to wait to develop our own then we'll need to buy some, and here lies the problem. If McClaren gets no more money than Clough, can he really deliver better players/team/results?

Sam can wag his chin till his little goatee drops off, but if he doesn't have a few million in the locker to wave around come January, it's all going to amount to change for changes sake.

If he does have that few million, my question is why we had to wait 4 years for the owners to stump up, and why Nige wasn't given that latitude?

In this situation I've gone from mildly frustrated but optimistic fan to surly and demanding customer.

I could really use a lift from the lads tomorrow,

Archived