An evening with Sam Rush, 6th November Derby Theatre.

Boycie

I agree that so far he has done nothing "wrong" per se, but then he's not had a full season at the club, so he's stil in the honeymoon period where it's all about restructuring and changing things to be done his way. He's obviously one level removed from the manager, so it will always be the manager who takes the rap for results before Sam Rush does, but what I find interesting is that he's clearly a good talker, and there will come a time fairly soon when he will have nowhere to hide if the results don't come (in reality of we don't start challenging for promotion)

That's why I find it odd that the job appealed to him. His previous roles have all carried a lot of prestige, responsibility and a good salary, whilst being relatively far removed from the public eye. He has never had a job where his performance and actions will be under so much scrutiny from many thousands of customers (or "fans" as we prefer to be called). There are a limited number of ways he can talk his way out of us not getting promoted AGAIN.

Unless we do get promoted. When no doubt it'll be down to McLaren, not Rush. I guess he can't win either way.

Sounds to me like whatever he does you're determined for him to fail. I'm not sure what he's done to upset you so much that you have such an irrational dislike of him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless we do get promoted. When no doubt it'll be down to McLaren, not Rush. I guess he can't win either way.

Sounds to me like whatever he does you're determined for him to fail. I'm not sure what he's done to upset you so much that you have such an irrational dislike of him.

Sorry - a bit baffled by how you've read my posts in this thread and jumped to the conclusion that I have "such an irrational dislike of him"...

I was trying to objectively assess his career in relation to the Derby job. I agree fully that he's an ambitious guy who will give this 100% and that he doesn't seem like the sort to take a backwards or sideways step in his career. That's why I'm wondering what appealed about the Derby job.

I'd say that given he's never run a football club before, it's a massive gamble for him personally that he can pull it off. I don't irrationally dislike him, I think he has massive balls to take the job on, and having met him several times, I can see that he's really going for it.  Nothing but respect for him on that score.

I've just been a Derby fan too long, and I know that a betting man would put money on him failing rather than succeeding.

That's nothing to do with my opinion of Rush, that's just football

Archived