watches....to dream on for

froggg

I must be missing something here. Since when did anyone have to justify the cost of something? To anyone who thinks it's crazy to spend 4k on a watch, how about spending it on, say, a ring? Now that doesn't even tell the time! 

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't pay that for a watch. But neither would I have an issue with someone that would. 

Plenty of people, would spend that on a couple of weeks holiday. 

Nobody has to justify what they spend their money on, was a poor choice of word on my part, I just meant 4k on a watch can never be considered a sensible purchase, as you say lots of people waste money on all kind of items every day, be it a 1k Macbook, £100 Nike trainers, I'm probably the biggest culprit of wasting money.

There are people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing I suppose. I'm with Cisse on this one. Having gone round Loomes workshop and seen the dedication and precision put into a hand made watch, you're buying into craftsmanship.

The fact that I couldn't justify stumping up £2500 at the time is neither here nor there....

PS This thread's going to grow to George Thorne proportions, I can see. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

..... I just meant 4k on a watch can never be considered a sensible purchase......

If the individual in question has sufficient disposable income, then it can be considered sensible - you may not be able to envisage spending that amount, but others can - doesn't mean they're any less sensible than you, just that their circumstances are different and they have differing interests.....

Obviously it's only my opinion, but regardless of income 4k on a watch isn't a sensible purchase. 

A Windows user would tell me that my MacBook at 1k isn't a sensible purchase, they would tell me you could get a far better spec for far less.....they would be right because.

For what I do online it would have been possible to get a machine at a quarter of the cost. 

Whatever it is in life, cars, phones, headphones, watches, clothes, we all have that one interest where we will blow money on thinking we're getting better built, far superior items. Truth is we're all just spunking money away.

Just now, Cisse said:

I'd say that in the end what ever you spend it on, say £4000, for a watch or a painting or a stamp,  it is money well spend if the item gives you happiness for the amount of money spend.

Indeed, value for money is a subjective concept.

I've spent hundreds of £ on individual games in my time, but as long as I get enough hours out of the game I count that as value.

True but you can still sit back, be happy and think, 'Kin ell that was a lot of money.

I've got a Apple Watch, £300 think it was, the amount of things it can do is unbelievable and would put any luxury watch to shame, but Jesus, £300? Probably one of my most stupidest purchases recently, especially when I have a device that does the same thing 8 inch away in my pocket. 

52 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Are Invicta good watches? Some great deals on them on Ebay and I need another watch.

Don't touch them AR, I've got one, the winder came off, it would cost me what I paid for it to send it back and have it repaired and it wasn't very accurate either, lost around 15 seconds a day which is just under 2 minutes a week, 7/8 a month, not good.

1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Don't touch them AR, I've got one, the winder came off, it would cost me what I paid for it to send it back and have it repaired and it wasn't very accurate either, lost around 15 seconds a day which is just under 2 minutes a week, 7/8 a month, not good.

13 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I've heard similar stories of Invicta watches. They literally fall apart. Hey AR, check out what Shinola has to offer. They started a few years ago in Detroit and I've heard they are up to a good start. They have both quarz and automatic.

Thanks for the replies gents. Selling like crazy on Ebay are Invicta watches so wanted to see if worth a purchase. Looking for a new watch as the one I usually wear has totally stopped working; thought was battery, got replaced, still not working and no longer has a warranty on it.

Will look into Shinola Cisse thanks. Have found some good deals on some Citizen Eco Drive's also.

1 minute ago, AmericanRam said:

Thanks for the replies gents. Selling like crazy on Ebay are Invicta watches so wanted to see if worth a purchase. Looking for a new watch as the one I usually wear has totally stopped working; thought was battery, got replaced, still not working and no longer has a warranty on it.

Will look into Shinola Cisse thanks. Have found some good deals on some Citizen Eco Drive's also.

I made the mistake of looking at the reviews for Invicta watches after the problems developed, a lot of disgruntled people out there, it appears the winder falling off is not uncommon. Sure they look the part, I still like the look of some of the Pro Diver series and the sales pitch reads like they are decent quality but sadly in my case, I found this not to be so.

I got an Ediface by Casio to wear at work at Christmas, it's lost about 3 or 4 seconds in nearly 3 months, I can live with that and it looks cool as fook too. ;)

13 hours ago, Cisse said:

I've got an Eco Drive which I bought 2004. It has been great.

I bought an Eco Drive about the same time (2004). It was great, cost about £135, but it stopped working  a couple of years ago. The shop where I bought it quoted £145 to have it serviced. I was slightly annoyed because it's sort of implied thay'll be sevice free for 25 years.

I took it to a local watch repairer. He tried a new solenoid/ capacitor? I don't know. Still wouldn't work. He quoted £80 to service it, plus the cost of the spare part, with no guarantee that it would work. I ended up buying a new one (Eco Drive) for about £70.

I like them, but I prefer my 1967 Omega Constellation automatic Italian job even more!