Buckenbauer

sage

If anyone wants to watch a display of world class passing from the back, watch the re-run of the 1st half today from Buxton, who again looked our best defender.

He keeps getting written off and keeps coming back better and better. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a fan of Bucko but I understand why he'll get dropped and not Keogh. At this level Keogh's agility and pace is more valuable to us than Buxton's honestly and effort. He's better on the ball than Keogh but then it's all about defending. There's plenty to back Bucko's stake in the team claim with but physically he's as good as he ever will be. 

It was interesting to hear Ramage's thoughts on how Keogh plays (or doesn't) the high line we're attempting to set. He said something along the lines of "one of them being worried about the other CB's pace" which must obviously be referring to Bucko. Didn't get caught out by this today but if Steve and co insist on a high line then Keogh will be picked over Buxton. 

I hope the "Taxi to Bramall Lane" comments etc pack up after todays display, deserves more than snide comments like that. Been a brilliant servant to our club, long may it continue. 

I think Bucko is a better defender than Keogh though. I think Keogh is better in the actual tackles/physical battles but positioning and awareness I still prefer Bucko (although I still think he's not great). His passing is mostly excellent though. Improved massively in recent years.

He doesn't get caught by pace that often tbf.

Shackell was good.

tibbs calls it spot on

buxton has improved the footballing aspects of his game immeasurably.

when he leaves it should be with everyone's best wishes and respect.

if ever a player earned it through honest endeavour and commitment - it sir jake.

Still think we might see it at sometime this season.

Hope so. Eustace seems vocal. He's always talking and he sets a calm example without screaming and shouting. I know it's easy to say such and such should be captain when really it's about what the relationships are like among the lads but as a spectator we perhaps have a player in form and captain material?

I think a big attribute that Keogh has over Buxton is the ability to get back and correct a mistake/mistimed tackle or provide cover. If Buxton commits to a tackle and doesn't win the ball he never get's back in time and it makes it look twice as bad. He's all good and well defending when it's infront of him but as soon as a player get's past him or in behind then he's very vulnerable. Thankfully, it's rare you see him beaten by pace head on. This high line might change that. 

Keogh's got that pace and recovery which helps himself out on countless occasions, it's very useful for covering certain players who need it too. 

I tell you what does piss me off about Keogh though, those sidefooted passes which he puts an unbelievable amount of pace on to others up the field. For one, he regularly loses the ball by doing this and two it's a pain in the ass for our receiving player to control. He thinks he's friggin Ramos!! Stop forcing it. 

Buxton reminds me of my pet rat Steve II

he was the runt of the litter, never looked capable of ever being a successful rat but i took him under my wing and he grew into the best damn rat i've ever had

i am his nigel 

"cVn6fUc" alt="cVn6fUc">

Like against Ipswich you mean!? (but not so thrown together and unfamiliar with each other)

Yeah but Buxton has never played that badly before or since.

Set pieces are still ridiculous. I wonder how long it will take to sort that?

when he first came he was awful on the ball

Yeah it was probably the weakest part of his game that's now become his strongest.

He struggled to shake off certain ideas some people have of him.

He's a Championship defender all day long imo

Archived