NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

Well, I'm of the opinion that Rush isn't here to maintain the status quo; he was determined to make a mark.

It's his baby now and it seems he wants everyone to know it.

Whether he succeeds or not - time will tell.

Of course he's not here to "maintain the status quo" - the status quo is languishing in mid-table.

Nigel got sacked because this was the year we're meant to be getting promoted in the "5 year plan" - not play-offs, actual promotion. And the fact we've never even been near the play-offs in his time and how poor we'd been during the start of this season suggests that that wouldn't have happened.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Weir sacked four months into a three year contract (which includes the summer shutdown!).

Now Nigel Clough has taken over at Sheffield United.

No one can say that Our Nige is one to duck a challenge.

He did a lot with little or nowt at Derby and I, for one, wish him all the very best with his 30 month contract.

I hope he has a good pre nuptial agreement.

Anyone fancy a Rams/Blades cup clash?

Beat Watford 5-1, beat Newcastle 3-0, Nigel's sides have been very good in some matches.

Also lost to Scunny 1-4, Forest 2-5, Cardiff 1-6.

He was a pretty mediocre manager for us.

Did a solid job but showed no signs that he would pull together a decent campaign.

Sam Rush didn't rate him and that's all that matters in the end.

David Weir sacked four months into a three year contract (which includes the summer shutdown!).

Now Nigel Clough has taken over at Sheffield United.

No one can say that Our Nige is one to duck a challenge.

He did a lot with little or nowt at Derby and I, for one, wish him all the very best with his 30 month contract.

I hope he has a good pre nuptial agreement.

Anyone fancy a Rams/Blades cup clash?

I was wondering myself, how long until we meet up with them?

Of course he's not here to "maintain the status quo" - the status quo is languishing in mid-table.

Nigel got sacked because this was the year we're meant to be getting promoted in the "5 year plan" - not play-offs, actual promotion. And the fact we've never even been near the play-offs in his time and how poor we'd been during the start of this season suggests that that wouldn't have happened.

I watched an old interview last week, I think it was either Tom Glick or maybe even Adam Pearson, he was answering a comment that Clough was hired because of his name and he said (and I'm slightly paraphrasing) 

Of course the name has positive connections to the club but first and foremost we hired Nigel because he presented us with a very impressive and compelling 10 year strategy to overhaul the club.

He was less than half way through that plan and I personally think we were well on our way to being a decent side and more importantly a side worth some money. If they weren't going to give it to him, he was very close to earning his own transfer kitty. If either Hughes OR Hendrick are sold he would likely be in a position where his transfer dealings were actually an income stream for the club. Dare I say if Chris Martin carries on like he is playing he is definitely going to be worth a good few quid, he's a brilliant centre forward and a great signing)

I'm still concerned that the person who has judged the state the playing side of the team got it badly wrong and I seriously doubt his credentials to be the person carrying out that overview.

I'm trying to keep it a football post and don't want to turn into a daft thread but like I keep saying, I believe strongly that we were ALREADY on the verge of something very decent this season.

Who said we were expected to get promotion this year? And automatic?

There was nothing wrong with the start we've had apart from the dropped points at home. This would have changed eventually.

How much time are you prepared to give McLaren to get us promoted then?

I watched an old interview last week, I think it was either Tom Glick or maybe even Adam Pearson, he was answering a comment that Clough was hired because of his name and he said (and I'm slightly paraphrasing) 

Of course the name has positive connections to the club but first and foremost we hired Nigel because he presented us with a very impressive and compelling 10 year strategy to overhaul the club.

He was less than half way through that plan and I personally think we were well on our way to being a decent side and more importantly a side worth some money. If they weren't going to give it to him, he was very close to earning his own transfer kitty. If either Hughes OR Hendrick are sold he would likely be in a position where his transfer dealings were actually an income stream for the club. Dare I say if Chris Martin carries on like he is playing he is definitely going to be worth a good few quid, he's a brilliant centre forward and a great signing)

I'm still concerned that the person who has judged the state the playing side of the team got it badly wrong and I seriously doubt his credentials to be the person carrying out that overview.

I'm trying to keep it a football post and don't want to turn into a daft thread but like I keep saying, I believe strongly that we were ALREADY on the verge of something very decent this season.

I'm sorry buddy but NC was only ever average for us.. In fact,his name kept him the job because if it was Nigel Smith the fans would have turned against him just like they did with the likes of Phil Brown (who was booed after only 14 games)

The fact that for 4 seasons straight, Nigel failed to win more games than he lost.. And this season, you say we were on the verge of something very decent, he was sacked at a time when we'd again lost more than we'd won..

We were going nowhere under him. Other than midtable football year on year.. And it's not like he wasn't given money.. He was given money, we spent money every summer.. In fact for 3 summers straight, we bought a defender for more than $1mill.. And every year our defence has been average-terrible.

I'm sorry buddy but NC was only ever average for us.. In fact,his name kept him the job because if it was Nigel Smith the fans would have turned against him just like they did with the likes of Phil Brown (who was booed after only 14 games)

The fact that for 4 seasons straight, Nigel failed to win more games than he lost.. And this season, you say we were on the verge of something very decent, he was sacked at a time when we'd again lost more than we'd won..

We were going nowhere under him. Other than midtable football year on year.. And it's not like he wasn't given money.. He was given money, we spent money every summer.. In fact for 3 summers straight, we bought a defender for more than $1mill.. And every year our defence has been average-terrible.

Wholeheartedly agree with this post

Just find it funny a club claims to have the oldest ground but forget it wouldn't be if Sheff Weds had nothing to do with it.

Sheffield Wednesday never played at Bramhall lane did they? They used to be called the Blades before becoming the owls when they moved to Hillsborough.

Edit: just checked and it appears they dud - apologies. Moved to grove lane and then to Owlerton (Hillsborough) hence the owls nickname

Simply don't agree. He was abysmal tactically. He did fantastic to get in the players he did, and he could have made more of some of the others he's already shipped out. He was so limited in his coaching methods and tactical nouse, he was simply never going to move us on. I thank him for what he did, but he could have gone two years ago.

not debating cos it's your good self, but I picked out the "on the verge" comment, we were on the verge every season, and then we were soon on the brink. I didn't see anything to suggest anything different. We were in a state of perpetual need for new players, this season, we think we need a new back 4! That in my opinion, would have seen us effected confidence wise and I think finish lower under Clough as he never addressed the poor defence. Sadly, I think we would have offloaded our better players and then been a worse side next season and then the chance has gone.

not debating cos it's your good self, but I picked out the "on the verge" comment, we were on the verge every season, and then we were soon on the brink. I didn't see anything to suggest anything different. We were in a state of perpetual need for new players, this season, we think we need a new back 4! That in my opinion, would have seen us effected confidence wise and I think finish lower under Clough as he never addressed the poor defence. Sadly, I think we would have offloaded our better players and then been a worse side next season and then the chance has gone.

Was a case of if someone got injured we would loan someone in... What kind of cover system for an already under par back four was that?

Archived