David Perkins

Alex W

"Steve McClaren is facing his first major decision as Derby head coach – whether to sign two players lined up by former manager Nigel Clough.

McClaren will watch his new team against Ipswich at Pride Park tonight, but his in-tray is already bulging with loan moves teed up at Clough’s request.

The Rams took Leicester centre-half Zak Whitbread on loan for three months yesterday and have deals in the pipeline for Barnsley midfielder David Perkins and young Manchester United defender Michael Keane.

Clough asked for reinforcements before he was sacked hours after Saturday’s defeat at Nottingham Forest.

Perkins was set to fill a hole in the centre of the park for Derby caused by Paul Coutts’ bad knee injury.

However, another Rams target, Manchester United starlet and England Under-20 midfielder Larnell Cole, is joining Bournemouth for the rest of the year."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-united-youngster-michael-keane-2325582#ixzz2gQ8WyBI8 

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, he'd be an excellent signing as cover, always thought he was a possible replacement for Hughes if we went for a cheap replacement. Not the same player mind you, but very tidy with the ball and plays the simple passes we expect of Hughes, if not quite the same attacking player. Someone to sit in-front of the back for and play a 'Carrick' role perhaps.

I'd certainly take him, and would've been pleased by his signing had Nigel brought him in, if this is true (given it's the Mirror it's always hit or mess) then I hope it happens.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see Perkins joining but would be adequate cover for Coutts. Hopefully Keane joins too but I'm not convinced now Whitbread has come in. 

I'm guessing McClaren will have some room to expand the squad, wouldn't be at all surprised to see two new centre backs come in.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see us adopt the 3 centre back rule! I don't know what he usually plays with, but, I'm guessing it's not out the question. 

I'm guessing McClaren will have some room to expand the squad, wouldn't be at all surprised to see two new centre backs come in.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see us adopt the 3 centre back rule! I don't know what he usually plays with, but, I'm guessing it's not out the question.

By the sounds of it Clough had room and was about to use it.

Archived