Steve McClaren

Day

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone get the feeling that the McClaren rumour is a red herring? The board surely can't be so blind as to realise how this will go down with the fans.

Rush knew that Clough split the fans 50/50. McClaren will do the same. If he doesn't start winning immediately then the balance of the split will swiftly tip in the wrong direction.

If they seriously want promotion then they need to get someone in who has been promoted from this division, at least once

Well I'll get behind him. Tactically astute, very well respected in the game, excellent coach at Derby, Man U, Boro and Twente. Got much better experience and credentials than NC and he will, I hope, try to play football.

Didn't work at Forest or England so has something to prove, but with a lot of the managerial tasks to be done by a director of football, allowing him to concentrate on coaching, it might well work.

He's got a lot of connections with Derby - played for us, coached us, wife and kids from here, I'm happy to give him a shot.

And to those saying we'll never get promoted this season - we weren't really ever going to were we based on everything we've seen so far?

This is what Derby legend  ;)  Daryl Powell said on 5 live this morning.

"He's gained an amazing amount of experience, worked in the biggest job in this country for sure. He's worked at Man United, the biggest club in this country. He's managed in Europe, he has a lot of experience and a lot of affection for the club," Powell says.

"I know he also spent some brief time down the road [at Nottingham Forest], but I don't think that will really matter too much. He did really well here and if he is appointed, he is a very interesting appointment."

If it is to be Steve McClaren, then I hope everyone on here gives the guy a fair chance. He was an excellent coach under Jim Smith and arguably, things started to go wrong when he left for Man Utd (because Alex Ferguson rated him very highly). I think Alex knows a bit about football?

His first major crack at management with Middlesbrough yielded major success and European football. He got the England job and just missed out on qualification. He went abroad and took unfancied Twente to a league title and European Football.

Forest may have just been a blip for all we know. Maybe he wasn't given enough time there? So many people on here seemed to think it was "Clough's destiny" to take Derby back to the big time and they backed him unflinchingly through 5 years of mid table mediocrity. If you gave Clough almost 5 years, you should at least do the decent thing and give McClaren or whoever gets the job, a few months grace and at least 1 transfer window to work with what he has. There are good players at this club, and Nigel did not get the best out of them imo.

I am not particularly impressed by the idea of McClaren coming here and I think that there are potentially better options out there, but if it is to be then we must give the guy a chance to show what he can do. I'm sick of all the turmoil - at least there will be some fresh ideas and tactics from the new boss. The one thing we all have in common despite our differences of opinion is that we love our club so lets give the guy a chance, get behind the team and see where it leads.

Anyone get the feeling that the McClaren rumour is a red herring? The board surely can't be so blind as to realise how this will go down with the fans.

Rush knew that Clough split the fans 50/50. McClaren will do the same. If he doesn't start winning immediately then the balance of the split will swiftly tip in the wrong direction.

If they seriously want promotion then they need to get someone in who has been promoted from this division, at least once

It's not really a rumour if Harry Redknapp's confirmed it though.

Win. Win. If he is a success, then great. If he is not, then he will be gone.

But if he comes in and wants to push for the premiership he will need money, could possibly sell Will Hughes on and then reinvest.  If he spends poorly, we end up with a high wage bill, a few good results and then find ourselves back where we were, before Nigel took over.  :(

I would hope that any talks with Schteve were on the back of a plan thats been going on in the background for some time. What we don't need is a knee jerk reaction, I'm hoping his contract being up in a week is part of the reason for the timing.   <_<

Really 3years too late . It is what it is lol

I think NC should be thanked for his efforts to be honest but the time is right to move on IMO

I hope he gets back in Football I wish him all the best.

Yes 3 years of stagnation, bad signings, bad tactics, bad motivation, the son of Brian,who with Peter Taylor formed the best managerial pair that this club ever had. His Derby connections and his passion for this club cannot be overstated,but just because he is Brian's son does not make him a good manager

Following on from my 'rumour' yesterday, my understanding now is that the board had a shortlist including Pulis and Eddie Howe, but the links with derby/ England/Europe as well as the fact that his contract is up,and he's 'high profile', made him 1st choice. 

Its understood he will be announced later today, not really news but i was was interested they had thought of Howe.

Archived