Steve McClaren

Day

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just voicing my opinions ..as I thought this forum is freedom of speech ...irrespective of how wally is spelt ...  yes can remember the lack lustre attempt to get sam longson to change his mind pertaining Brian Clough ..in the 2 - 1 home win against Leicester ..but anything is worth a try ..because  deep down no one wants WALLY as new manager  

Sorry, but the minute McClaren (or anyone else) is officially appointed, he gets my 100% support. I don't like the way Clough was treated and I don't like how it ended, but I always support the manager. Hell, I even supported Tim Ward and didn't want Brian Clough to be appointed, so I'm not going to change that now.

Not even for a new umbrella.

Derby County can tonight confirm that following yesterday’s departure of Manager Nigel Clough, Coaches Andy Garner, Gary Crosby, Johnny Metgod and Martin Taylor as well as Chief Scout Simon Clough have been placed on gardening leave.

Academy Manager Darren Wassall will take charge of Tuesday night’s home game at Pride Park Stadium against Ipswich Town and will be assisted by Senior Professional Development Coach Lee Glover and Academy Coach Pat Lyons.

The search for a successor to Clough continues, and further announcements will be made in due course.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-club-statement-1314-1085713.aspx#YMiVMSXathOFL2bU.99

Well there's the problem. He was looking for the wrong things.

At Boro didnt he also win he league cup and take them to the UEFA cup final and also set up the academy that produced Downing, Adam Johnson, Cattermole, Danny Graham, Turnbull, Weater and many other?

I don't deny he did a great job in many respects but to put in into perspective..........despite all of that good work, most Boro fans were delighted to see him go because of the dire football they played under him.

I don't deny he did a great job in many respects but to put in into perspective..........despite all of that good work, most Boro fans were delighted to see him go because of the dire football they played under him.

Done bloody well after he left, didn't they?

Sorry, but the minute McClaren (or anyone else) is officially appointed, he gets my 100% support. I don't like the way Clough was treated and I don't like how it ended, but I always support the manager. Hell, I even supported Tim Ward and didn't want Brian Clough to be appointed, so I'm not going to change that now.

that's your prerogative ..at least Tim Ward  got the great Kevin Hector to the baseball ground  ...  you give every manager 100% support ...   I bet you idolized Addison ,  Murphy ,  Newman   to name but 3 

Just think if Harry had not retired Tim would not maybe have been at Derby, and so we may not have had Kevin, that's football.

that's your prerogative ..at least Tim Ward  got the great Kevin Hector to the baseball ground  ...  you give every manager 100% support ...   I bet you idolized Addison ,  Murphy ,  Newman   to name but 3 

Stop being a jerk.

There is a difference between supporting and idolising. 

OK, you can start being a jerk again now.

Just think if Harry had not retired Tim would not maybe have been at Derby, and so we may not have had Kevin, that's football.

Yeah, but Harry Storer was just a tad before my regular attendance at the BBG. From 1961 to 1964 I was in Malaya.

you've already beaten me to it  

In all seriousness, why on earth would anyone in their right mind NOT support the manager at the start of his tenure? It's not as though you are going to be able to change the opinions of the decision-makers. Do you honestly think that putting a new man under pressure is going to help him do better?

And you have yet to demonstrate that you know the difference between 'support' and 'idolise'.

From the Daily Mail:

"While an offer from Derby County was said to be on the table for Steve McClaren, he appeared to be stalling in the hope of a call from Sunderland."

A job he couldn't handle. Keeping Sunderland up will be a tough task for anyone. He's not exactly in a position to be taking on jobs like that with his reputation.

Sunderland fans right now are angry. Angry with the players. The players there seem to be going through some big time Charlie phase.

If he takes that job then he's completed managerial suicide.

In all seriousness, why on earth would anyone in their right mind NOT support the manager at the start of his tenure? It's not as though you are going to be able to change the opinions of the decision-makers. Do you honestly think that putting a new man under pressure is going to help him do better?

And you have yet to demonstrate that you know the difference between 'support' and 'idolise'.

just stipulating that  no fan deep down would like to see WALLY as new manager ....  , pertaining idolise I was being sarcastic due to the 3 managers I mentioned ...   support a manager yes   we have to give whom ever it is 100%    ...  but should it be WALLY    he will be under immense pressure  ( by his on downfalls  or cv  as people have stipulated )  ..before hes written his first team sheet

How do you know most were? Was it like the Charlton wanting Curbs out? If you look you can find lots of utd fans wanting rid of Fergie.

Simply put, I wouldn't trust the board with my ham sandwich never mind the well-being of my football club. Granted, a change was long overdue but the timing is strange and quite frankly, the prospect of replacing Clough with McClaren just bemuses me. This was their shot at redemption after five years of mediocrity and the prime candidate is McClaren? It's laughable. His recent record rightfully sets off alarm bells. 

Surely such a radical change of the 'footballing structure' should have come in the summer? It would have given everyone time to digest it, not least McClaren himself. I'm sure he'd have liked the summer to build a rapport with Rush, the incoming 'technical director' and to bring his own players and implement his own methods and style-of-play.

In my opinion, Rush is the driving force behind this decision and it's his way of making his mark. I'd love to say his decision-making appeared cool, calm and calculated but with each passing day, there's a growing sense that he's out of his depth. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to jump on the Rush-McClaren love wagon and say 'what a great decision that turned out to be'. But come on, McClaren would have had a difficult task making us competitive if he came in July never mind October.

Of course, I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong should he come in and transform our fortunes but I just don't see it. The club just seems to be descending into a circus with Rush as the ringmaster and McClaren as the bumbling trapeze artist. People have questioned the ambition of the board and lobbied for change but the prospect of this appointment does nothing to capture the imagination of the fanbase. A 20-match unbeaten run might, on the other hand.

It makes me glad I'm living in St. Petersburg and have plenty to distract myself with. I'm certainly in no rush to get on a plane home and sign up for a six-game plan for what will be inevitably described as an 'exciting new chapter for the club'. Exciting new chapter? McClaren? I'd gladly hold my hands up if I'm wrong but my gut feeling is this is going to be a disaster.

Firstly....we should never have got rid of Nigel, terrible move.....and everyone who was moaning about it can now see why....there is nothing better out there.....nothing at all....

Looking back on the the different managers we have had recently makes for pretty dismall reading......and the only ones who stick out as being decent are the ones with NO Derby County connection at all....

King Arthur

Jim Smith

Billy Davies

so, maybe, just maybe it is time to look away from ex players and go for someone completely neutral..?

(so long as it isn't Pullis)

If we had waited 2 more weeks then David Moyes would have been available.

Can someone enlighten me so far this weekend have heard 3 pundits all say that the new manager of our club will be rubbing their hands as a lot of the infrastructure has been put in place groundwork already laid for success etc but we have chosen another average manager, whose right?

Jesus, they are saying all stuff that would have sounded cool about 5 years ago, with their 'head coach' ******** and sporting director.

I hope it's not going to end in tears. He might get a honeymoon period but I don't see how they will take the guy seriously.

Archived