Nigel Clough's Record

AccountantRam

I'm not here to pillory the poor guy, and obviously emotions are running high judging by the amount of postings. However, a lot of postings are sadly void of facts, so here's a few ;

I estimate Clough spent > £8.7m in transfer fees alone ( on players costing over £100k ) - which roughly equates to 2+ years worth of season ticket sales.

His league record is Played 213 ; Won 72 ; Drawn 50 ; Lost 91 - a win ratio of 33.8%. 

This equates to 57 points for a season, and a league position of 15th.

Judge from that what you will - but unfortunately, I would suggest it could be described as mediocre at best ..... ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For crying out loud, I'm glad you're not my accountant. Do you always estimate figures, then take those figures entirely out of context?

(actually if you are anything like those idiots at KPMG I worked with in Ireland a few years ago, the answer to that would be 'yes')

Net spend is misleading anyway.

If I earned £10,000 next month but spent £9,000 of it on a 50 inch 4k tele, could I claim that I've not spent any money just because the other £1,000 has gone on food?

Could I complain that I didn't have enough enough money to buy what I really wanted just because I spent most of what I'd earened on something that I didn't really need, or didn't know how to use properly to make the most out of?

I'm not here to pillory the poor guy, and obviously emotions are running high judging by the amount of postings. However, a lot of postings are sadly void of facts, so here's a few ;

I estimate Clough spent > £8.7m in transfer fees alone ( on players costing over £100k ) - which roughly equates to 2+ years worth of season ticket sales.

His league record is Played 213 ; Won 72 ; Drawn 50 ; Lost 91 - a win ratio of 33.8%. 

This equates to 57 points for a season, and a league position of 15th.

Judge from that what you will - but unfortunately, I would suggest it could be described as mediocre at best ..... ?

Has it really come down to this level?

If you're not somehow connected to the club then I apologise sincerely. I remember your posts as having the air of someone with information not everyone had access to. You've certainly been very specific with your figures there.

If however you are connected to the club, shame on you and them for choosing this place as a communication vehicle.

So far everywhere I've looked the fans are 70/30 in favour of clough staying.

Justify the decision how you will. You misjudged the level of support he had. The CEO misjudged it, will he/you be judged on that decision if you get this next hire wrong?

From memory so don't go nitpicking.....but

Fielding 400 grant 0 legzdins 100 deeney 0

Brayford 500 freeman 0

Moxey 350 roberts 0 forsyth 150 hoganson 0

Barker 1m keogh 1.5m anderson 0 riggott 0 gjokai 0 naylor 50

Buxton 0 shackell 1m

Bailey 500 eustace 0 pringle 0 abalimba 200

Davies 300 coutts 150 cywka 0 croft 0

Hendrick 0 hughes 0 bryson 350

Ward 400 jacobs 600 martin 200

Martin 0 sammon 1.2m porter 400 tyson 0

Maguire 400 Russell 750 bennett 0 robinson 200

....actually i think he spent more than that @10.7m.....but his net spend was less when you account for fees received......

Fielding 200

Brayford 1.5m

Moxey 350

Shackell 1.2

Maguire 200 robinson 100

@ 3.5m received....plus....from the squad he inherited......

Bywater 0 price 0 carroll 0

Mears 400 connolly 0

Stewart 0 mceverley 0

Addison 0 savage 0 todd 0

Albrechtsen 0 nyatanga 500 davis 0

Sterjovski 0 teale 0

Villa 1m davies 700 varney 700

Hulse 600

Green 0 pearson 0

Commons 300

Another 4.2 m received......

Therefore around £3m spent over 5 years = feck all really.

Or About equal to what billy davies lost on claude davis.

So far everywhere I've looked the fans are 70/30 in favour of clough staying.

Justify the decision how you will. You misjudged the level of support he had. The CEO misjudged it, will he/you be judged on that decision if you get this next hire wrong?

Is the level support for the decision really that important? It's not democracy.

Clough lost a lot more than he won, using teams he selected of players he acquired (presumably because he thought they were up to the job - at least at kick off). Sometimes he wasn't a big enough man to take responsibility and publicly launched into players.

I firmly believe he wasn't very good tactically or motivationally. There is more to come from these players and this team. I don't believe Clough could get any more.

For crying out loud, I'm glad you're not my accountant. Do you always estimate figures, then take those figures entirely out of context?

(actually if you are anything like those idiots at KPMG I worked with in Ireland a few years ago, the answer to that would be 'yes')

I thought that was Actuaries.

Definition of Actuary: Someone who found accounting too stimulating.

Archived