Derby County v Ipswich Town

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So McClaren has managed to make a team talk and tactical change that Clough didn't manage in 4 and a half years...

Wasn't Clough in charge when we beat Forest 3-2 at their place, having been 2-0 down after 20 mins? 

On the game - whatever McClaren said at half-time bloody worked. Fair play - more of the same please, and fingers crossed this is more than just the dreaded honeymoon period starting up. 

What a crazy game that was. If only Bucko had smacked the ball into the crowd in the 1st half. And Ward had passed to Sammon when he knocked the ball of the keeper the 1st half could have been so different.

But what a change in the 2nd half Eustace was stunning, he controlled the midfield to allow Bryson and Hughes to push forward. Bennett owned the left wing. The commitment and effort from all the players was 100% better. Even Buxton upped his game 2nd half..

Whitbread made a very good debut. Majority of his knock downs went to a white shirt. Cracking header for his goal as well. Was there first an own goal by him?

Hughes in the 2nd half was fantastic he ran his socks of and Ipswich struggled to contain him at times..

Our fans in the 2nd half just got louder and louder. Seemed to go around most of the ground as well. the players must have been inspired by the noise.

Whatever McClaren said at half time certainly worked

Wassall is right. Having Eustace allows Bryson and Hughes more freedom to attack. We are an attacking team that can dominate in possession. Hughes and Bryson did literally nothing in the first half. Second half Hughes was running rings round players around the 18 yard box, pushing as far forward as he could getting a fantastic assist and Bryson with the goals. Yet again we conceded very poor and sloppy goals. We are as good a footballing team as any in this league and it is about time some fans started to believe this. 

I don't want to contribute to making Forsyth the new Teale/Sammon but he's not very good.

I didnt like the look if the starting 11 tbh. Looked a far too flat midfield with those players. All it would take is for Ward to decide he isn't interested again and there'd be pretty much rugby passing and bypassed by defenders looking to feed Martin and Sammon.

Something isn't working for Hughes lately. Maybe it's the system or something but he's just not showing himself for what he is. He has his moments but they are rare.

Crazy thing is at 4-2 I started to believe we could get a point

I was thinking Hughes needs a rest. But his second half performance may suggest otherwise. Hughes' comes to life in the final 35 yards of the pitch. This is where he belongs and the opposition struggle to cope with him in this area. Will Hughes is a central attacking midfielder. He has been asked to play in just about every other midfield position, but why? Let the lad play football the way he wants. Remove the shackles. 

I was thinking Hughes needs a rest. But his second half performance may suggest otherwise. Hughes' comes to life in the final 35 yards of the pitch. This is where he belongs and the opposition struggle to cope with him in this area. Will Hughes is a central attacking midfielder. He has been asked to play in just about every other midfield position, but why? Let the lad play football the way he wants. Remove the shackles.

I know sometimes either he or the coaching staff take the decision for him to drop deeper to get us settled and get a feel for the ball.

He looks wasted then but it seems necessary?

I think Wassall is taking credit away from himself and that it was his words as much as anything Mclaren did which helped change the game. The players were shellshocked first half after the abrupt sacking of Cloughie. Ipswich took advantage. The substitutions were probably Wassall s idea. Mclaren has done nothing to make this side an attacking team. Its Clough s team and they played more like what we are used to seeing last season 2nd half. Saying Mclaren came in and changed everthing at HT smells like a blatent PR stunt on behalf of Rush to be honest. Lets see what happens against Leeds. Clough done them over 7 times or so did he not.

I think Wassall is taking credit away from himself and that it was his words as much as anything Mclaren did which helped change the game. The players were shellshocked first half after the abrupt sacking of Cloughie. Ipswich took advantage. The substitutions were probably Wassall s idea. Mclaren has done nothing to make this side an attacking team. Its Clough s team and they played more like what we are used to seeing last season 2nd half. Saying Mclaren came in and changed everthing at HT smells like a blatent PR stunt on behalf of Rush to be honest. Lets see what happens against Leeds. Clough done them over 7 times or so did he not.

Unbelievable! The second half performance was not like any Nigel Cloughs that I can remember! Big positives were that we had a plan B for the first time in years!!!!!!! Also substitutions were made at half time not the 85th minute.

Feel really positive despite the ***** first half performance.

They talked about us and showed Wassall interview / apparently Steve allegedly did the half time team talk although I'm not sure i should believe Wassall about that

He wouldn't go on tv and lie about that would he, knowing all the players would see it. How much credibility & respect would he lose by saying that.

Crazy night of football, shell shocked to euphoria. Second half performance was something I haven't seen at derby for some time.

Well done boys.

So Rush told Wassell to make up the bit about McLaren did he? Get a grip mate. There was more excitement at PP during that second half last night than I saw in nearly 5 years under Clough. Stop being so mardy, accept that Nigel's gone for good and that better times are around the corner under the new more professional and experienced coaching team.

Archived