Derby County v Ipswich Town

Gritstone Ram

You'd be p1ssed off if you were an Ipswich fan right now! :lol:

Now ain't that the understatement of the season!!!   :blush:

Aside from my feelings .... which I am sure you are all greatly concerned about .... can I just say really well done guys! Hoping my lot learned a lesson tonight about finishing games off. But truly pleased for all DCFC supporters - no true football supporters likes to see clubs like yours and mine getting pulled apart from the inside. We've had more than our fair share over recent seasons. Good luck and look forward to your visit to Portman Road later in the season - at least I think I do!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what quite happened there - the fluctuation between performances was ridiculous. To think McClaren had something to do with it gives me a whole world of confidence!! 

First Half - I thought Sammon was okay, and that's about it - Whitbread was good apart from obvious breaking in period but apart from that we was poor, everywhere. The wrong decisions were being made second by second - did look like a team with no leader on the pitch, and no instruction.

Second Half - we was much, much, much, much better - best half of football in ages! We made correct decisions, we looked to improve in ourselves and to play football, it looked organised and better suited! Eustace made a big difference, did very well - Bryson in the second half was spot on, Bennett troubled.

My ratings (but this is ridiculously difficult)

Grant - 5 - poor decisions first half, and didn't look confident - second half, he seemed to grow an extra inch and put a bit more thought into his game.

Smith - 3 - was awful tonight, can't say anything else - didn't really pick up too much either.

Whitbread - 7 - Very good second half, okay first - at fault for a couple of goals but overall looked of good quality, positioning in the defence was the only concern but with a bit more game time that'll come.

Buxton  - 5 - poor first half, well appalling first half - but good second, his little trick to evade the striker made me laugh and thought his distribution in the second half was spot on.

Forsyth - 4 - another poor game, starting to think he is just widely out of his depth! 

Bavies - 5 - didn't really offer much, or lose too much. Just sort of nothing really, which is telling as I thought he was our best midfielder first half.

Ward - 3 - absolutely appalling performance, not pulling any punches here because he was greedy, thick and looked like he had a chip on his shoulder for the whole game. The first half decision to try and score from a tight angle rather than give sammon a ******* open goal infuriated me more than anything else in the game! 

Hughes - 4 - picked up a little bit in the second, but in reality he has had an absolute dreadful week of football. 3 games on the bounce he has looked absolutely sub-par.

Bryson - 8 - fantastic second half, really was - pretty dire first, but that second half performance was on point! 

Sammon - 6 - was surprised when he was brought off, thought he was the only one on the pitch first half to hold his head high. Incredible attitude, despite being absolutely mugged off my Ward he still went over and told him to get his head up and motivated him, chased everything and was our only real outlet in that first 45.

Martin - 5 - a few cute touches, a few fouls and lost the ball a couple of times. A sort of nothing performance for me.

Eustace - 8 - came on and did incredibly well, managed to change our whole shape and allowed the other midfielders to improve their own game. Nothing more can be said for him - superb. 

Bennett - 6 - came on looked sharp, unlucky not to score - gave a different threat on the wing (i wouldn't have put him there, but hey ho, seemed to work) his touch looked a little heavy (well very heavy) but absolute wrecking ball when he gets going.

Overall - confused, very, very... confused. 

Now ain't that the understatement of the season!!!   :blush:

Aside from my feelings .... which I am sure you are all greatly concerned about .... can I just say really well done guys! Hoping my lot learned a lesson tonight about finishing games off. But truly pleased for all DCFC supporters - no true football supporters likes to see clubs like yours and mine getting pulled apart from the inside. We've had more than our fair share over recent seasons. Good luck and look forward to your visit to Portman Road later in the season - at least I think I do!

I now love Ipswich as my second championship club...... :D

Immaculate 2nd half performance though, that swinging 50 yarder to the left wing was sublime, as was the way he turned himself out of trouble at one point.

Exactly first half he was really poor, I had him down for a 2/3. I thought he will be Steve Macs Albrechtsen! but second half he was absolutely faultless, can't praise him enough - distribution was so crisp! 

Just got back from the game, I have never seen us play as badly as that first half EVER. Second half was much better, I felt sorry for sammon and Davies as I thought they were the only players that looked interested in the first half.

Good changes but I do think we need strengthening at the back. I also liked the way we varied between direct and passing football. Martin gave their defenders a torrid time in the second half from long balls.

having gone to the game here is an honest assessment!

First Half    Second Half    Overall

Grant        5                  5                  5             none of the goals really his fault except maybe the third, had no saves to make

Smith        4                  7                  6             very poor first, second half looked like a shade of brayford, bombing down flanks

Buxton      2                  6                  5             seemed intent on destroying our gd FH, 2nd was business as usual

Whitbread 5                  6                  6             unfortunate/avoidable OG, solid second half and nice headed goal to boot

Forsyth      3                  6                  5            typically average yet again, 2nd half was improved and got forward well

Davies       6                  -                  6             unlucky to get subbed didnt do much wrong, great assist from a corner

Hughes      3                   8                 7            1st half wasnt worth 10p, 2nd half made mugs of ipswich defence

Bryson       5                   8                 7            went missing 1st half, 2nd half was everywhere, captains performance and 2 goals

Ward         2                    7                 6            woeful effort 1st H, 2nd H was closer to his best, hopefully sign of things to come

Sammon  6/7                 -                  6/7         best player 1st H, typical effort and created best chances, unlucky to be subbed off

Martin       4                    7                  6           barely touched ball 1st H, 2nd H played well and took a battering from CB, good ovr

Eustace   -                     8                  8            ht sub changed the game, allowed hughes and bryson to operate and terrorize

Bennett    -                     7/8              7/8         full of energy, caused problems and created chances and 2nd goal, well done

Russell     -                     (-)                (-)           last min sub didnt really do much/have a chance to hence lack of rating.

I'd say these were a fair reflection of the individual ratings from tonight. First half was sickening to watch, worst defensive display i have ever witness at PP, that said we looked relatively threatening going forward and had the best chances from open play. 

Second half the mclaren effect took charge and it was a joy to watch; relentless attack which ipswich's (shaky) defence couldnt handle. Intro of eustace changed the game, gave us greater core strength and allowed hughes and bryson to get forward with hughes almost playing off the striker at times. bennetts energy and pace down the left and ward/smith down the right showed some real promise of what could lie ahead.

overall its hard to judge the performance as a whole as the two halves were so unbelievably opposite, my conclusion is that going forward we remain a threat and defensively we are struggling - especially from set pieces we look extremely vulnerable which ipswich exploited to great effect first half (three headers; 2x corners 1x fk from wide). All said and done however this game will live long in my memory for the sheer spirit shown by the lads to come out second half and play as they did, i even cheered the replay of our equaliser as i'd cheer any normal goal in real time!!!

Spot on ratings and assessment, saved me doing it now!

Now ain't that the understatement of the season!!! :blush:

Cheers mate. Always had respect for Ipswich. Not just saying that either. All the best for the season. Hope to see you in the PL with us one day.

What wrong with SSN stayed up waiting for the goals and seen jack ****. I'm off to bed now. Promising start for Steve Mac. The players will have a bit of belief in what he brings after the HT team talk.

They talked about us and showed Wassall interview / apparently Steve allegedly did the half time team talk although I'm not sure i should believe Wassall about that

I don't want to contribute to making Forsyth the new Teale/Sammon but he's not very good.

I didnt like the look if the starting 11 tbh. Looked a far too flat midfield with those players. All it would take is for Ward to decide he isn't interested again and there'd be pretty much rugby passing and bypassed by defenders looking to feed Martin and Sammon.

Something isn't working for Hughes lately. Maybe it's the system or something but he's just not showing himself for what he is. He has his moments but they are rare.

Crazy thing is at 4-2 I started to believe we could get a point

They talked about us and showed Wassall interview / apparently Steve allegedly did the half time team talk although I'm not sure i should believe Wassall about that

What do you think happened?

I like believing McClaren fixed it. But I find it easy to believe he picked the starting 11 too.

Archived