Fed up of Clough

rammieib

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea but then how many people would have mentioned Jim Smith at the time or even Brian Clough? In fact if Nigel wasn't Nigel how many people would have listed a non-league manager as a replacement at the time? All I mean is this talk of "who out there is better?" We don't know but then it's not our job to know or find out. Like it's not our job to scout the world leagues to find players we can afford. I doubt many Arsenal fans would have heard of Wenger all those years ago.

So to answer. We'd have to put the advert out for a manager. See who applies, look at their CV's and see their ideas in interviews. Our range of knowledge of managers is too limited to answer.

Exactly if we are looking for a new manager it will be the board doing the looking armed with the budgets, pay, etc. How on earth are supporters supposed to know which manager is interested and willing to take the job on should the board do away with Clough?

Yeah I got that. I'm just saying I don't think we've been negative home or away.

Sorry was talking about the whole time Nigel's been in charge our away attendances have been poor because of negative tactics. This season away from home against the poorer sides I don't think we have been, & fair play to Nigel we wouldn't probably have won our away games so far in the way we have when he first took over so some improvement.

Last night on the other hand was like the old derby away in the second half. First half was a joy to watch, but second half was far too negative which had cost us in previous games in the last few years.

Exactly if we are looking for a new manager it will be the board doing the looking armed with the budgets, pay, etc. How on earth are supporters supposed to know which manager is interested and willing to take the job on should the board do away with Clough?

Paul Jewell is available..  :ph34r:

I take it you decided against doing maths at school?

Just a C back in the day.

Just looked at improved 8 places in 5 years to be honest.

The problem for me is it's easier to move from the bottom of the table to the middle as that is were the cheaper budgets and poorer players are, the hard bit is the top 6 where the bigger budgets and better players and managers are. It's like golf the lower the handicap it's gets a lot harder to go down a shot.

I was happy with Clough being our manager at the start of last season but as the season went on the more I believed he had taken as far as he can. There are 4 matches that stick out more than any though, Wolves at home, they were on the ropes, struggling and we were the better team in the 1st half, Jacobs on the left was doing well Ward just behind Sammon needed to get a bit closer, Coutts was looking as though he was getting back to his early season form but stuck Ward on the left Jacobs on the right and looked to shut up shop.

Bolton at home again another team that were struggling and we were looking to keep it 0-0 1st half, no attacking intent other than the 1st minute, concede in the 45th minute and up against it. 2nd half was all us, why not start the game that way?

Hull away, when we were 1-0 down he took a defender off, brought a striker on, we were going well score and looked like the only team that would win the game, I thought maybe he has learnt his lesson, but no he takes a striker off and brings a defender on, looking to hold on, we concede and lose.

Barnsley away, exactly the same as above bar the conceding the last goal, in fact there was a chance we could have won it, but our only striker on the pitch put a ball in that just needed a touch from his strike partner, just a shame he was on the bench.

There have been too many times where Clough has looked to consolidate a match where we have been the better team and tried to shut up shop at the wrong time. It is a strange situation, when things need changing he seems to leave it too long and when things are going fine and nothing needs changing he changes it.

This season is top 6.

I know it's still early but I'd say this season is absolutely on course to fail.

How can you expect top 6? 

I just don't get it... nothing against you, but if I was asked to buy a Ferrari for the same price as a ford fiesta but could only manage an alpha romeo  (still better) and got blasted for it, I'd be a bit pissed off.

Give him a top 6 budget, which is roughly double what ours is now - and, then if he doesn't get top 6 within 2 years then I would expect him to get sacked. giving him a bottom half budget, and saying finishing in the top half isn't good enough is absolutely mental. 

So do you think they are as ecstatic as we are about the present situation ? :(

Nope I am extremely despondant to be honest and this is translating into my desire to spend my money watching my team. Everyone knows my opinions on Clough so wont trot those out again, the board are obviously looking at this as a long term investment and they didnt make their pile by walking away from projects and losing a hod load of their cash in the process.

I just don't get it... nothing against you, but if I was asked to buy a Ferrari for the same price as a ford fiesta but could only manage an alpha romeo (still better) and got blasted for it, I'd be a bit pissed off.

Give him a top 6 budget, which is roughly double what ours is now - and, then if he doesn't get top 6 within 2 years then I would expect him to get sacked. giving him a bottom half budget, and saying finishing in the top half isn't good enough is absolutely mental.

Give him £1.2M to get a centre forward and he won't score goals and eventually won't get in the team at the expense of a free transfer.

Giving him more won't get us in the top 6 because he will just blow even more on *****.

I just don't get it... nothing against you, but if I was asked to buy a Ferrari for the same price as a ford fiesta but could only manage an alpha romeo  (still better) and got blasted for it, I'd be a bit pissed off.

Why though? Bradford got into a cup final last year. Wimbledon had gates of 6,000 but consistently finished above teams with far higher budgets in the Prem. Portsmouth must have had one of the largest wage bills in the Prem but they still got relegated without a trace. 

How come most clubs say there budget is so low and they are skint. Sheff wed say they have no money and haven't for years, yet they have just signed roger Johnson on loan who much be on a pretty good wage and have players like Kirkland and gardener.

Do we actually know where our budget is in tve pecking order or are people just guessing?

Nope I am extremely despondant to be honest and this is translating into my desire to spend my money watching my team. Everyone knows my opinions on Clough so wont trot those out again, the board are obviously looking at this as a long term investment and they didnt make their pile by walking away from projects and losing a hod load of their cash in the process.

Successful teams do not make money, and are a dead duck if you are looking for a sound investment, long or short term.

Archived