'you're as big as your chairman's pocket'

Ambitious

Discuss.

When people talk about 'big clubs' it comes with a slight edge of amusement and irrelevancy, and in truth has been for decades.  

I floated the term (in the title) and was shot down by a leeds fan who considers themselves to be above any other championship club in terms of first choice for players - which is mental.

Does club size still matter? or if Burton were playing at this level, offered a deal to a player that we wanted which was more lucrative than ours would he stop and think of the size of the club?

should be a good debate.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do people in the real world chase the jobs they chase?, I'd imagine footballers would also vary in the importance they place on things other than salary.

It's a good debate to have, but almost every club has something about them that could make them bigger. Huddersfield have a better history than Derby for example.

why do people in the real world chase the jobs they chase?, I'd imagine footballers would also vary in the importance they place on things other than salary.

It's a good debate to have, but almost every club has something about them that could make them bigger. Huddersfield have a better history than Derby for example.

Huddersfield may have a better history than us, but anything of significance is indeed history, back in the 1920`s

Not much of a debate really Ambitious. Players will nearly always go with the money. The history and size of a club will only matter if the wage offers are similar.

I think history has little, to no, bearing on which club a player chooses. Things like manager, players already at the club, realistic potential targets (in talks with clubs) and location will have more of an impact.

Aren't Wigan absolute proof that size, history and even potential are irrelevant ? But I have always thought there were two things Australian AFL clubs and American NFL clubs generally do better than most football clubs. One is the scientific game-specific fitness base (Gordon Strachan used to visit Australia regularly to study that) and the other is marketing potential of their brand...

London based clubs could arguably have more appeal than middle of nowhere teams.

Teams with a positive history would more likely appeal than a nothing team.

Attendances & facilities are definitely factors to swing a players head.

When Manchester City first got a load of money, it took them a while to buy the league, because first they had to buy a load of expensive  'alright' players, that moved them into a position to be taken seriously enough by the top players.

Random fictional example:

Money does talk. If I was at Torquay, my family was from there, Derby came along and offered me £4,000/wk but Forest offered me £6,000/wk, geographical location is pretty much the same, the fact that Forest have a few stars on their badge is appealing, the extra size of Derby's ground is nice, but all I actually care about is what shinier cars an extra £2,000/wk will buy. And it has the knock on fact that, if they're willing to pay more for me, then they're willing to pay more for other people, and hopefully we'll do better with better players.

It should be a good debate Ambitious. Personally I think the game and players are split into two or even three levels. Everyone wants to get to the premier league, players want to get there so badly that they'll join a side like QPR, who were obvious basket cases from the moment they went up and got rid of Warnock.

You've got players like Benteke who don't do enough research on the club they're joining or the area it's in, he was so desperate to play in the premier league he thought Aston Villa were in London. Extreme case maybe, but I bet a lot of foreign players end up unhappy due to facilities or location of the little premier league club they join.

Underneath that level I'd like to think players do consider other things than salary alone. But I'm not convinced there are many of them. I think most players go where the wedge is.

I think the chairmans pocket size opens up a whole second debate, which is going to be very interesting indeed.

I think the tide is turning. I think everyone is getting fed up with the amount of money being thrown around at the top level, and I bet a very hefty % is funded on debt. The public won't stand it forever.

It was really interesting to listen to Wenger, having spent 40 odd million on Ozil, talking of fighting for financial fair play and of not wanting to spend money artificially generated, he was comfortable paying 46m because the club had earned 46m and could afford to spend it.

You've only got to look at Forest to wonder how the hell FPP is going to work and I believe the authoritise are going to make it work.

They've spent a fortune again this summer and their wage bill is 104% of club turnover. They're attracting and signing players they can't afford. they're using cash that they have not generated through football activities to fund football activities.

No matter how much Fawaz is worth, if he ever pulls the plug on funding, they've got a club running a bloated squad with a wage bill they can't afford to maintain.

They're a Portsmouth waiting to happen. How much was their Russian Oligarch worth?

The second irresponsible spending, and short term management by chequebook stops is the second we get our game back.

I don't see it happening in my lifetime but it will happen. People won't put up with all that is wrong with football forever.

Archived