Has Nigel done a mistake selling Theo Robinson

gboil

Oh dear, we are down to basics!!! It's called football. I pass it to you, you pass it onto someone else or even back to me because I have moved. By this point, I hope you will have moved as well (preferably into space or at least taken an opposition player out of position) and the ball moves on. Now this has a couple of major advantages, we have the ball and are ultimately hoping to move forward with it and create an opportunity - even if we have to go backwards sometimes. The other advantage is that when we have the ball the opposition can't score themselves. That is the point of passing.

Well, I thought you was talking specifically about Derby's 'slick interchanging' which is actually just passing in the centre circle and nowhere else!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I thought you was talking specifically about Derby's 'slick interchanging' which is actually just passing in the centre circle and nowhere else!

Now we know that isn't true, they do move forward with the ball. I will admit that they have to get better at it but that is going to happen the more they do it.

Anyway, to the OP, has he made a mistake? 

I always thought Theo would be useful to have off the bench when we needed a goal, but he clearly didn't want to play that role. If he has made that clear to the manager, and if (and I don't know this to be the case) it causes any disruption in the camp or bad feeling between the player and the manager, then I don't think the manager has any choice but to move him on.

If he was moved on and we didn't have any strikers, then yes, you'd think it was a mistake. But we have plenty, and Theo isn't better than any of them imo, so I guess the answer to the question is no.

Whether he goes on to score a shedload for Doncaster is a moot point - it is how he fitted into Derby's set up that was important.

I think given how few clear cut chances we have created in the handful of games played so far this season letting Theo go was the correct decision.

Most of his goals were from tap-ins handed on a plate and we don't get into those situations Oren enough. Asking him to find the net from 10 yards out or more was often beyond him and he spurned dozens of golden opportunities.

We need players who are going to find the net from the one and only chance they may get in the game.

Hopefully Russell and Martin are the men to do it, but theo was not.

I think given how few clear cut chances we have created in the handful of games played so far this season letting Theo go was the correct decision.

Most of his goals were from tap-ins handed on a plate and we don't get into those situations Oren enough. Asking him to find the net from 10 yards out or more was often beyond him and he spurned dozens of golden opportunities.

We need players who are going to find the net from the one and only chance they may get in the game.

Hopefully Russell and Martin are the men to do it, but theo was not.

No player takes every chance he gets especially at this level. I have never heard of a forward being critisized for scoring tap ins. If you listen to clough he big annoyance is when he players don't get in the box and get those tap ins.

Theos problem is his link up play, clough likes his front man to be able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, Martin is doing this best and that's why he is now first choice.

He is doing well, but for those saying £150k was undervalued, what's the alternative? Have him playing in the reserves contributing nothing to the team whilst we still pay his wages? We're happy without him so lets be done with this thread now. Talk about him in the 'Ex-Rams Thread'.

No player takes every chance he gets especially at this level. I have never heard of a forward being critisized for scoring tap ins. If you listen to clough he big annoyance is when he players don't get in the box and get those tap ins.

Theos problem is his link up play, clough likes his front man to be able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, Martin is doing this best and that's why he is now first choice.

Not sure about that. He dropped Kuqi and took in Moore and eventhough latter is propably better player, he didn't suit our style at all. I would go as far as saying it ruined our purple patch.

After that looked like all NC wanted was speed merchants and in came Theo and Tyson. I think Tyson can actually play little bit of football too, shame it didn't work out for him.

Then he went for Sammon, who knows why.

This season has been promising, looks like we're having good players up front. At last.

SkySports latest statistic gismo is goals contributed to - goals plus assists.

For the stattos out there what was Robbos last year vs Sammon?

I believe it was the right decision to move him on, he wanted first team football we could not guarantee him that as we have Martin, Ward and Russell ahead of him.  He would be a good option as a sub but this would restrict the development of Bennett.

We will be discussing this type of thread at start next season but it will be Conor Sammon we will be on about in my opinion.

Archived