Has Nigel done a mistake selling Theo Robinson

gboil

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he'd gone and not scored we wouldn't have this debate

If we'd beaten or drawn against Leicester we wouldn't have this debate

If he doesn't score for the next 4 matches this thread will die

But looking on the plus side, it has given those posters who revel in a Derby loss something to brighten up their week.

Tell Hull and Cardiff that... They both built teams where their strikers failed to score in the vast majority of games...

4 games in and the wrist slashers are out in force...

Yeah but after only 4 games, you can see where this season is heading.

And for you clough lovers, I have to tell you it isnt the top 6!

I'll ask the same question I asked another poster - did you praise Clough for getting a bargain when he signed Theo and did you lavish both the manager and player with praise when Theo was in the team?

Yes I liked Theo & I always felt we may score with him on the pitch & I thought he could be our 20 goal a season striker, my ire was always towards the fish..got to admit though... that is transfer to us at the time didn't exactly set my world alight, then again neither has signing another SPL lucky dip player.

It's not just 4 games though, it's 4 years where the season has been over come jan.

That said we haven't made a bad start, we are in next round of cup, and theo was not the answer to us progressing to the next level.

...And several posters who'll continue t' praise anything Clough seems do n'all.

If Nigel Clough did a 15 second fart, people will get moist on here over it and praise him for such a feet.

I think if it lasted 15 seconds then I think it would be Nigel who would be moist. I would certainly be impressed by that feat (not feet) so long as it wasn't in front of a lady.

How predictable we should have this thread - I knew as soon as Theo scored last night it was coming.

Funny how no-one in particular on here was bemoaning his lack of opportunities last season or that he'd been made available for transfer. Funny that most agreed we now had better quality forwards at the club.

This is a bit like dumping a girl after a few months because in your opinion she's not good enough. A few weeks later you see her in a club with another guy & you haven't got anyone. Cue rose tinted spectacles & booty calls....!

He's gone. Good luck to him. Get over it.

Theo scored equal to Sammon last season, despite his lack of opportunities.

What does that tell you about the quality within the side?

Funny how Chris Martin who hasn't done anything of any note in four years, is now THE man of the moment. He hasn't had a profile season since his sin in League One with Norwich. Conor Doyle is still contracted to the club, would you consider him a better alternative to Theo? Johnny Russell is relatively unproven in this league, as he looked like a 15 a season goal player thus far? Jamie Ward as hamstrings made from paper. Mason Bennett is 17...

What's Theo's loan spell at Huddesfield got to do with anything?

Conor Sammon was absolutely dire at Wigan, yet it didn't stop us spending over a million on the bloke. His thirty something games at Wigan, were no better than Theo's six games at Huddesfield.

Please stop bringing the Huddesfield loan into the argument, completely irrelevant.

So us trying to build an attack and it bouncing off his shin doesn't matter because he scored 12?

Us trying to spread it about a bit and him taking two touches and the second being a tackle doesn't matter because he scored 12 goals.

Us being under the cosh (partly because Theo is unable to play any football) and when we release a counter he's offside for the 10th time? It doesn't matter because he scored 12?

He's a donkey. So is Sammon. Awful first touch. Poor composure. Poor in the air. Pretty ordinary dribbling ability but Clough shouldn't get rid of a man who scored 12.

Twelve?

Steve Davies was a decent player. He played a part (if you gave him the ball and not hoofed it for him to chase like a dog). His twelve goals or whatever were only a part of his contribution.

Are we going to judge midfielders on assists and keepers on clean sheets? How many assists does Hughes have for Derby compared to Coutts? Ben Davies? The rare appearances of Jacobs?

Hes notRhodes. A player that's half asleep until the ball is supplied to him within a decent range and then he's too hot to handle. It's Theo Robinson. A lad with decent movement and a willingness to work hard who pokes in a few chances and wastes a few more. A player who when he doesn't score is pretty much a hindrance.

Then we compare him to Martin and Russell.

Do you know the best bits about our first two games? The fact that Martin linked up and gave the team an option. That's why we weren't facing constant attacks.

You can't write Russell off after 3 games. You're comparing Theo's best seasons with Russell's 3 games? I agree he's not been great but have you forgotten the handful (sarcasm because I've got a bag on) of games Theo didnt score in? Mostly garbage.

I'd have Savies back. I'd rather have Theo than Sammon but I don't care much for either.

I'm sick of praising the basics. "If in doubt hoof it out". "Goals win games" "it's a results business"

Swansea struggled trying to develop a controlled way that suits them. They missed out on Play Offs. But they continued to install their philosophy and to recruit players who could fit it. Look at how far they've come.

Imo it's this basic percentage football that's why we rely on foreigners in our best teams. Why our national sides are over hyped. Sorry to sound like Bris but I just hate the same type of football he does.

Theo is not a footballer. I like him. He helped us out. He does what he can. But if this country produced less Robinson's and more Hughes types then Hughes wouldn't be such an orgasm.

We reward the wrong things. I hope I don't see a player like him again for ages (sorry Theo.)

Man I've had a bad day!

Of all this talk about ex strikers in the last day or so on this thread, I think the one that I miss most is Rob Hulse, the best striker we had at this club since we came down, by a long way, and he got slagged for being lazy etc, yes I know he struggled with injuries from time to time, but he got us goals, especially that 1st season back down when it was looking ropey after Christmas that season. Remember the message boards slating and slating him and took a lot if abuse. What I would give for a striker if his then calibre now at the club. Paid 1.75m for a quality forward. And got goals and worked well.

Archived