The Text Ellis Campaign

textellis

I would assume that all clubs get many requests to help promote good causes, maybe a couple of days before the match is a bit too short notice to agree to stuff. There may be Derby fans requesting things as well.

Just thinking aloud really.....

Richard, what's the deal with Leicester City mate? Have they committed to help you?

Good luck for your quest and for the future fella.

True but surely it wouldn't take much to mention and get on the pitch? Maybe go round the outside just after the school kids football teams do their walk round

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but surely it wouldn't take much to mention and get on the pitch? Maybe go round the outside just after the school kids football teams do their walk round

Timing would be the issue I would imagine... the club have a lot of few charities they support and they'd have to check with ALL of them to get permission to support another charity, even if only for a day...

I suspect this is the case anyway having worked with the marketing teams at a couple of national charities in the past...

Here's a thought, why not target (wrong word I know) the opposition players of each team? It's a brilliant thing you're doing mate and I think cycling to every away match deserves a bit more than just 'text this number'... I dunno how you'd go about it, twitter maybe or through each club? I bet they would recognise the effort you're going to and donate a lot more generously (you would hope) than away fans?  

Thank you all for the replies and words of support! VERY, VERY kind that some of you have also sent donations to the campaign!  :D

Just to keep you updated, we contacted Derby nearly 3 weeks ago to ask for there help. Tried calls, emails etc but not much success until we had a reply from the marketing department yesterday saying that they couldn't help us...wouldn't even let us use a shower before the game! Obviously very disappointed, which is why I have come on here to see if I can get support and help from fans instead!

We have Central News coming round to my house on Monday to do some filming after they heard about the campaign. I have been on BBC Radio Leicester speaking to Ian Stringer and also in the Leicester Mercury. Doing pretty well around Leicester but it's the away grounds we struggle with. Got lots of posters, leaflets etc which we hand out wherever possible. We were hoping to hand these out around Pride Park.

Leicester are getting us onto the pitch during half time at one of the upcoming home games which will be great to help promote everything. We also had a great send off from Nigel Pearson, our Chairman, players and club ambassador before we left for Middlesbrough, with Nigel donating £1000.00 to the campaign. Leicester are really doing everything they can to help! :)

I'll try an email to Sam Rush to see if I get any further, but if not do any of you have any ideas of how we can still raise awareness to Derby fans?

Wow. I hope I never have to contact the club to get help with a charity to help a child, I'll go to Leicester instead, they know how to be charitable..

Dissapointing from the club imo.

Can't think why they said no?

Come on club, we all know you're reading this, sort it out. At least let the guy have a shower for pitys sake!

Deary deary me.

Poor effort from the club. Working in that sector i can see why they couldnt do loads to promote this, they'll have agreements in place with specific causes and probably have a community policy covering what they can and cant support but would have been a nice gesture to invite you in for a shower and lunch on us to support your efforts if nothing else! Good luck with the quest, i hope you reach your total!

Only one side of the story here. Did he speak to the right people or make a half assed attempt to make contact? Do they have showers other than in the changing rooms that are being used on matchday?? If he was organised, there are plenty of budget hotels in close proximity to the ground where he could have got decent facilities to change and shower. Wish him luck with his quest but there are so many pulls on peoples money for charity these days that they cannot expect it to drop on his lap without a few setbacks.

All the best.

It's easy for us to say, but it's hard for the club to support every charity which contacts them. I know it looks cruel, but what are they suppose to do really? They would be skint if they just handed out support/help to every single charity that is looking for it.

I could easily suggest, that if every Leicester City played donated a weeks wages this campaign would be over and done with, sadly, things arent as simple as that. 

Archived