3 at the back?????

If you look at it logically the two most realistic options are 4-4-2 & 4-3-3. - We've just spent a majority of our transfer kitty on Russell so you'd think he'd start. Ward was our top scorer last season so you'd think he'd start. Nigel loves Sammon and work he puts in annoying the oppositions defenders. To accommodate all three would mean 4-3-3. - Nigel knows that our three best midfielders Hughes, Henndrick & Bryson work best in the middle of the park. To accommodate all three whilst also allowing all three of our potential top scorers you'd have to play 4-3-3. - Ward is comfortable moving in from either flank to create/get on the end of chances and if you watch the Russell YouTube video of all his goals a decent percentage of them have him starting out wide and coming from deep. Those are the type of attackers you need when playing a proper 4-3-3. - Our best wide player is Brayford. - If we're under the cosh a bit Ward can drop back to make it 4 in midfield. I'm not trying to be a Football Manager smart arse but if you look at it from the point of view of fitting round pegs in round holes it makes sense. Of course all of this could be b0ll0cks and Nigel will rotate attackers midfielders to keep things fresh but he's never been one to do it in the past...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply put, to have three at the back with only Keogh a recognised centre back.... that's just plain terrifying (to me)!

AGREED... Surely since Nigel has this thing about having cover for every position it makes most sense that we'd be playing a basic 4-4-2... since that's one of the few formations we have seen 2+ players fit each position...

IF we had 3 at the back we would need 6 recognised champs quality CBs... Even assuming Barker and OB are back that would be; Keogh, Barker, Bucko, OB, Gjokaj and ?anyone?

We've just spent a majority of our transfer kitty on Russell

Have we?

Have you known the board to stump up more than £1.5/£2.0m since Jewell squandered it???

I can't imagine we've got much left in the piggy bank. Perhaps another £500k plus whatever we get from sales.

Rush has been quoted several times as saying we have a bigger transfer fund this season than previously regardless of people leaving... They're not gonna go and spend for the sake of it, but if the right player is available at the right price I wouldn't rule it out...

Rush has been quoted several times as saying we have a bigger transfer fund this season than previously regardless of people leaving... They're not gonna go and spend for the sake of it, but if the right player is available at the right price I wouldn't rule it out...

Well I for one hope I'm mistaken. Lets hope we can afford a quality centre back. As much as I love Sir Jake we need another one in...

Has anyone suggested 4-1-3-2 yet?

Grant

Brayford Keogh Bucko Forsyth

DM

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Sammon Ward

I'm not a fan of the lack of width, but would allow all 3 in midfield, 2 up top AND give defensive cover...

And for the Bailey fans out there... that DM role needs filling...

Yes -  me at 6.40am! But I wouldn't be a fan of Bailey as DM. Eustace would be better and I reckon that if we signed a decent CH, Keogh could probably do a job there. His strength is in intercepting balls intended for the forward line and he can pass it.

Yes -  me at 6.40am! But I wouldn't be a fan of Bailey as DM. Eustace would be better and I reckon that if we signed a decent CH, Keogh could probably do a job there. His strength is in intercepting balls intended for the forward line and he can pass it.

Sorry, missed that!

I agree with you, I don;t thi8nk Bailey could play that position well... And Eustace would... But would rather have someone younger play it... Brayford for now maybe?

Sorry, missed that!

I agree with you, I don;t thi8nk Bailey could play that position well... And Eustace would... But would rather have someone younger play it... Brayford for now maybe?

Freeman would probably be a better option than Bray

Freeman would probably be a better option than Bray

Maybe, but think Freeman's a but small to play that role? You can adapt to that at full-back, but not so much at DM... Also, Brayford has played the role previously...

The flip side would be that I wouldn't want to lose Brayford from RB... Can we clone him?

Maybe, but think Freeman's a but small to play that role? You can adapt to that at full-back, but not so much at DM... Also, Brayford has played the role previously...

The flip side would be that I wouldn't want to lose Brayford from RB... Can we clone him?

Can you not speak to the guys at Wayne Enterprises about that?

I think Freeman has played DM more often than Brayford - I can only think of the experiment at Brighton for Bray but I thought Freeman had played DM regularly at youth level. Might be wrong, plus I don't think size is that important at DM it's more about reading the game, breaking up play with intercetions, timing tackles and playing it simple.

Anyway, I don't think we'll play the formation you're talking about that much anyway and Eustace will probably play DM when we do.

I find some of this thread highly amusing.

Let's just hope Nigel was paying attention at coaching school or a lot of you are going to be disappointed when you realise we are playing a 4-5-1 with Ward and Russell in wide positions.

Can you not speak to the guys at Wayne Enterprises about that?

I have no idea what you are talking about... I'm not Bruce Wayne... I'm Batman...

Just because we've never been seen in the same place at the same time means nothing...

I have no idea what you are talking about... I'm not Bruce Wayne... I'm Batman...

Just because we've never been seen in the same place at the same time means nothing...

I never said you were Bruce Wayne, merely suggested you might have a decent contact there. Maybe have a word with Albert...

I never said you were Bruce Wayne, merely suggested you might have a decent contact there. Maybe have a word with Albert...

You mean Bruce Wayne's butler? How would I know him?

;)

Ahhhh... this could go on forever...

Sorry, missed that!

Isn't it great pretending to be managers? It's like saying what you would do in bed with Halle Berry. Amusing and interesting but ultimately harmless and pointless!

The OS lists Freeman at 5ft 10 and Brayford at 5ft 8

Isn't it great pretending to be managers? It's like saying what you would do in bed with Halle Berry. Amusing and interesting but ultimately harmless and pointless!

I'd go the full Barry White, scented candles and dimmed lights bit, then smash her back doors in, belch kebab at her and wipe my knob on the curtains. I reckon I'd be on for a second date with that approach.

More chance than 4312 with Bailey holding anyway. ;)

Archived