Grant

Brayford Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Bryson Hendrick Coutts

Russell Sammon Ward

Grant

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Ward

Russell Sammon

In my opinion I don't think it will take long before Martin becomes a starting XI player, he is one of our best players.

The thing is I don't think scoring goals will be our problem this season:

Prediction:

Grant - 0 (obviously, unless he comes up with a Mart Poon)

Brayford - 1

Keogh - 4

Buxton - 4

Forsyth - 0

Hughes - 4

Bryson - 7

Hendrick - 8

Russell - 14 (not being over ambitious first season out of SPL)

Sammon - 10

Ward - 13

Then there is goals in Davies Jacobs Martin Coutts, even ball got a few when he played.

Our problem was conceding from aerial situations which hopefully grant will help with a bit. 7 goals were goalkeeping errors last season. Also conceding from long shots. Having 3 CM's should pack the midfield more and mean we put more pressure on the shots coming from the opposition's midfield.

If we manage to get a good CB we are top 6 no doubt.

This is like football manager on here. I cant believe how many tactical experts we have on here, i think some have been watching sky to much. Clough is a 442 man predominantly throughout he management career and i can't see him making any big changes, he may try others but normally reverts back.

Tbf it's not hard to see what works and what doesn't.

Anybody who watches a lot of football can either learn a lot or even nothing at all.

Doesn't mean they can manage a team though. Anybody can see the flat strict formation lines in the majority of away games. Does that make them a tactical expert? You watch enough football and take interest in shapes and patterns etc and people start figuring out stuff.

The reason they aren't coaches though? well, how do you put it into practice. How do you get actual people to recognise their jobs. How do you coach people. If something isn't working its easy to say "oh, the weakness in that is.." But to actually go about changing it and getting men (not AI or robots) to do something different at the drop of hat.

Football isn't incredibly clever is it? I don't think there some genius level going on beyond what we can all see. But seeing and doing are worlds apart of course. And people do seem to forget that Nigel Clough is dealing with people.

Grant

Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Brayford Hughes Bryson Hendrick Ward

Russell Sammon

Grant

Bryson Hendrick Coutts

Russell Sammon Ward

Grant

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Ward

Russell Sammon

In my opinion I don't think it will take long before Martin becomes a starting XI player, he is one of our best players.

The thing is I don't think scoring goals will be our problem this season:

Prediction:

Grant - 0 (obviously, unless he comes up with a Mart Poon)

Brayford - 1

Keogh - 4

Buxton - 4

Forsyth - 0

Hughes - 4

Bryson - 7

Hendrick - 8

Russell - 14 (not being over ambitious first season out of SPL)

Sammon - 10

Ward - 13

Then there is goals in Davies Jacobs Martin Coutts, even ball got a few when he played.

Our problem was conceding from aerial situations which hopefully grant will help with a bit. 7 goals were goalkeeping errors last season. Also conceding from long shots. Having 3 CM's should pack the midfield more and mean we put more pressure on the shots coming from the opposition's midfield.

If we manage to get a good CB we are top 6 no doubt.

Coutts ahead of Hughes in your 4-3-3? U mad? :blink:

Although I do think that will be our primary formation next season.

I think posters might be being a little ambitious with the suggestion we will play three up front. I think it will always be a pairing from Sammon, Ward, Martin and Russell. Behind that I think we will have three creative midfielders from Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Coutts, Jacobs etc. I think Eustace might well anchor that midfield in front of our back four. Don't forget we had very few clean sheets last year. That is something we will have to improve if we want to get anywhere. I still think we need a new centre half because whilst Keogh and Buxton are game triers, we have no leader back there. 

Has anyone suggested 4-1-3-2 yet?

Grant

Brayford Keogh Bucko Forsyth

DM

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Sammon Ward

I'm not a fan of the lack of width, but would allow all 3 in midfield, 2 up top AND give defensive cover...

And for the Bailey fans out there... that DM role needs filling...

Grant

DM

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Sammon Ward

I'm not a fan of the lack of width, but would allow all 3 in midfield, 2 up top AND give defensive cover...

Yep me yesterday when I was drunk in the garden. I went with 3 at the back though.

I think it could work.

The DM is already available in John Eustace...

I said:

Grant

Brayford      Keogh     Forsyth

Eustace

Bryson      Hendrick    Hughes

Ward

Sammon Russell

Looks a good system to me.. A loty of hard work and getting it right to cover each other.

Yep me yesterday when I was drunk in the garden. I went with 3 at the back though.

I think it could work.

I said:

Grant

Eustace

Ward

Sammon Russell

Looks a good system to me.. A loty of hard work and getting it right to cover each other.

You drank too much me thinks

Grant

DM

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Sammon Ward

No starting berth for Russell?

Just a variation on a theme here -

Grant

Brayford Buxton Keogh Forsyth

Coutts Hendrick Bryson

Hughes

Ward/Russell  Martin/Sammon

Hughes needs to be somwhere he can create.

I think by putting him between the mids and front men he would draw out defenders or force midfielders back, creating more space for us.

I personally don't really like wing backs that much, I think it's easy to exploit and much more difficult to execute well.

I think I like the variations of 4-3-3 the best to be honest

Stock home line-up

Grant

Brayford             Keogh           Bucko              Bruce

Hendrick      Hughes        Bryson

Russell                                              Ward

Sammon

The occasional away game

Grant

Eustace

Hendrick                     Hughes

Russell                                         Ward

Sammon

When Ward's hamstrings snap after 2 games in a row

Grant

Hendrick      Hughes         Bryson

Martin

Russell      Sammon

It's been mentioned a lot that we have some really good replacements who can come in and do a good job within this set-up, the likes of Jacobs and Bennett would be better as a front 3 than wide midfielders in my opinion.

I think it's got to be 4 at the back for me, everyone knows where they are and I think the additions of Grant and Fortsyth will provide more stability to the defence.

We get a lot of our width from our fullbacks bombing on so I don't see us losing that a great deal by having 3 in midfield instead of 4.

Ward and Russell can drift wide to find space, or come central to pick up the ball.

Bryson and Hendrick can do box to box all day long and Hughes is given a bit of a free role in the middle to pick up the ball, find space, drop into the hole behind the strikers etc. I feel we need to be looking to build a side around Hughes as the central point, I think he's going to be sublime next season with another year and pre-season under his belt.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out, I think it'll be a test of Nigel's tactical skills to see how he can get the best out of this group of players.

I think it could work.

I said:

Grant

Eustace

Ward

Sammon Russell

There's no cover whatsoever on the wings with that formation... no width whatsoever... you'd get spanked by anyone with wingers...

No starting berth for Russell?

Assuming that you'd rotate the forwards as Nigel has mentioned... So far from interviews he seems to be saying that Russell will be fighting with Wardy for the spot... So happy to have either...

Just a variation on a theme here -

Grant

Brayford Buxton Keogh Forsyth

Coutts Hendrick Bryson

Hughes

Ward/Russell  Martin/Sammon

Hughes needs to be somwhere he can create.

I think by putting him between the mids and front men he would draw out defenders or force midfielders back, creating more space for us.

Loses the cover for defence if you ask me... Don't think defensive cover is any of those 4's best attribute and would rather have the covering midfielser so ALL of them can bomb forwards...

I think people are getting too adventurous with players positions. We will never see a first choice back 3 of Bray Keogh and Forsyth. (Sorry westlondonram to pick you out.)

The 3-5-2 mentioned will be more 5-3-2, don't be surprised to see;

GK Grant

RWB Bray

CB Keogh

CB Eustace

CB Buxton

LWB Forsyth

CM Hughes

CM Bryson

CM Hendrick

ST Sammon

ST Ward

Simply put, to have three at the back with only Keogh a recognised centre back.... that's just plain terrifying (to me)!

I agree, I couldn't believe some people were suggesting that - until recently Forsyth was playing left mid so it makes little sense to expect him to play CB!

I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than four at the back

Archived