3 at the back?????

The OS lists Freeman at 5ft 10 and Brayford at 5ft 8

He always looks slighter of frame... As a player who is 5 years younger would...

Isn't it great pretending to be managers? It's like saying what you would do in bed with Halle Berry. Amusing and interesting but ultimately harmless and pointless!

Amusing and interesting is THE WHOLE POINT...

He has a new butler? What happened to Alfred? ;)

This Batman has Albert as a sidekick... Batman and Statman swinging into action...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now clough has said he is happy with keogh and bucko as his two centre halfs I can't see us playing 3 at the back come the first game. Also I don't think we have enough centre backs to play that way as he talks about Brayford as cover. Unless he see eustace as dropping back as he did with stride at burton. Well if he signs

Well it will be a back 4, he said they tried it, they didn't look comfortable in a 3 and the defensive unit is the most important part of the team so has to be right first.

When I buy new shoes I'm not comfortable in them straight away. What was he expecting?

His automatic calling of the defence as 'back 4' betrays any true belief in any other defensive system.... and tbh I dislike the idea of 3 at the back anyway, so that's fine by me!

The interview also says that the midfield had a 4-4-2 diamond shape in the 2nd half, with Hendrick sitting deep... but that wouldn't accommodate all of our midfielders, SO I can see us trying 4-3-1-2 (or 4-1-2-1-2 if you want to call it that) alternating with 4-3-2-1 if we're lacking width

OK, here we go, an excructatingly boring formations suggestion post, with lots of holes to be picked regarding defending.... sorry.....!......

4-3-1-2 

(4-1-2-1-2)

Sammon      Russell

Ward

Bryson      Hughes

Hendrick

Forsyth   Buxton  Keogh   Brayford

Grant

OR....

4-3-2-1

(which might be a bit too 4-5-1 for the liking of some)

Martin

Ward                              Russell

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Forsyth   Buxton   Keogh   Brayford

Grant

Obviously those line-ups miss out Coutts and Eustace, but they can slot into that midfield 3 and allow us some extra squad rotation to avoid players tiring. In the 4-3-1-2 you could move Hughes further up to the hole, stick Ward up front and stick one of Coutts/Eustace in that midfield 3.

Ward and Russell are both capable of playing wide and central so in games where we need some extra width they can move on out and give us the 4-3-2-1... although hopefully Sammon and Russell can provide some width themselves ANYWAY by running the channels, with Ward moving up to make a central 2 with whoever hasn't ran the channel and one of the middle 3 arriving late in the box for those Craig-Bryson style tap-ins.

The line-ups also miss out Jacobs, but again he could come in behind the strikers in formation 1, or come on out on as the width in formation 2.

The point is that we have a lot of flexible players!

PS, I can't believe more people haven't used Align Center to write down their formations, it makes it so much easier!

Anything but 442 keeps me happy.

It's rigid, outdated and suits pacey tricky wide players (of which we have none on the right).

Just seems odd him saying it doesn't look comfortable. That's what friendlies are for?

I don't think 3 at the back would work for us, also seems a bit ironic to me to try and get an additional player in there currently whilst we are short on numbers there. What might work is in away games against a tough team is to sit Eustace in front of the back four in a Makelele role?

I think we'll end up playing the revolutionary 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation. It gives us a lot more flexibility and then no-one can shout at Nige if he gets it wrong.

Unless he's so daft that he tries that 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2 garbage again. When will he realise it just doesn't work.

Archived