3 at the back?????

Couple of tweets from Steve Nicholson indicating Nigel is going to try a few formations in pre season. Including the 3 at the back I mentioned here.....

http://dcfcfans.co.uk/topic/11528-new-formation-solving-a-few-current-problems/?hl=formation

@SNicholsonDT: Nigel Clough told me today he will look at a few formations in the pre-season games, even a suggestion of three at the back #dcfc #dcfcfans

@SNicholsonDT: On possible formations, Nigel Clough said: "What best suits the players we have got, that will be the key. We have got some ...

@SNicholsonDT: ... "very, very good central midfield players so we need to work around them." #dcfc #dcfcfans

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like 3-5-2, would work perfect with us. 

Grant
Brayford - Keogh - Buxton
Coutts - Hendrick - Hughes - Bryson - Ward
Russell - Sammon.

and for away games

Grant
Keogh - new CB - Buxton
Brayford - Hendrick - Hughes - Bryson - Forsyth
Russell / Ward - Sammon.

Gives us nice options to have.

Can't possibly be true. As we all know Nigel is tactically naïve, and has no plan B.

He probably sat next to Gianluca Vialli or someone like that, while he was on his how to be a proper manager course. Gianluca was only trying to tell him there's some tea at the back but cos Nige doesnt like foreigners, he stuck his fingers in his ears and stuck his tongue out at him.

Luca wasn't happy waving his arms everywhere.

"tea at the back, TEA at the back,it's fantastico I'm telling you, oh my god you english amateur idiot, everyone can see it but you"

Nige was obviously thinking Luca was giving his closing presentation on the next big thing to hit English football and thought he might as well get on the bandwagon.

He put it in his notes the same day "3 at the back, I'm having that"

Grant

Russell - Sammon.

and for away games

Grant

Keogh - new CB - Buxton

Russell / Ward - Sammon.

I wouldn't mind playing against us at Pride Park with that line-up. Away team looks ok as long as new signing is a good'un.

He probably sat next to Gianluca Vialli or someone like that, while he was on his how to be a proper manager course. Gianluca was only trying to tell him there's some tea at the back but cos Nige doesnt like foreigners, he stuck his fingers in his ears and stuck his tongue out at him.

Luca wasn't happy waving his arms everywhere.

"tea at the back, TEA at the back,it's fantastico I'm telling you, oh my god you english amateur idiot, everyone can see it but you"

Nige was obviously thinking Luca was giving his closing presentation on the next big thing to hit English football and thought he might as well get on the bandwagon.

He put it in his notes the same day "3 at the back, I'm having that"

what a story

Grant

Russell - Sammon.

and for away games

Grant

Keogh - new CB - Buxton

Russell / Ward - Sammon.

That home formation would ruin everything good about Brayford.. It would be the equivalent of Bayern Munich or Germany sticking Lahm in CB..

And not only that, you'd really count on Coutts to be alone and offer both defensive and attacking cover.. He's a CM, an average one at that, playing out on the right because we have no-one else to play there.. He'd be terrible in a RWB position..

The rest of the side looks OK but Ward would have to improve defensively too..

That's the downside with wingbacks.. They have to be very good at both attacking and defending and it's quite rare to find players like that.. Even worldclass fullbacks like Jordi Alba, Lahm and Evra can be suspect at defending..I can't see Ward tracking back 60 yards if he loses the ball on the attack..

That home formation would ruin everything good about Brayford.. It would be the equivalent of Bayern Munich or Germany sticking Lahm in CB..

And not only that, you'd really count on Coutts to be alone and offer both defensive and attacking cover.. He's a CM, an average one at that, playing out on the right because we have no-one else to play there.. He'd be terrible in a RWB position..

That's the downside with wingbacks.. They have to be very good at both attacking and defending and it's quite rare to find players like that.. Even worldclass fullbacks like Jordi Alba, Lahm and Evra can be suspect at defending..I can't see Ward tracking back 60 yards if he loses the ball on the attack..

you beat me to posting this exact comment! Are you a mind reader,gypsy, secret identical twin!?!

Ward might not be the best defender but he definitely puts his shift in.

Forsyth as a wing back is another option. He's comfortable enough in both directions.

In fact my god, if we keep hold of Brayford and sign Eustace, we've got so many options it's not true.

I can't even begin to list them there are so many. If we keep playing with a fluid front 6 like we tried to last year we'll be a real hard team for other managers to work out.

They won't know what to stop first.

Two up front,  three up front, four up front if we're stupidly chasing it, one up front with a five man midfield - we could play any of them comfortably.

3 at the back, options everywhere, two flanks, options everywhere.

Judging from what was said on todays webchat by Sam Rush we've still got one maybe even two more to come in, but they've got to be better than what we've got.

If we add any kind of quality to what we've got right now we're going to be a real challenger.

Teams are going to be pooing their pants coming to pride park. When we click we're going to dish out some real hidings.

Options everywhere.

Yeah, that is true.

Brayford and Forsyth wingbacks home and away.

Archived