Richard Dunne

belper.dcfc

When asked about Richard Dunne, Clough said: “Nothing has changed. Ideally, he wants to stay in the Premier League.

“I think enough clubs will be willing to take him but if for any reason it doesn’t happen, he knows where we are.

“We might get in touch with him this week and see what his situation is.”

Clough dismissed rumours Derby had spoken to Dunne and offered him a contract.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Defender-O-Brien-track-autumn-return/story-19465921-detail/story.html

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
phpvrxma8brandnewlogo
DCFC Media: 
 Jacob,

The manager has said Richard Dunne is someone we like and we will monitor his situation.

There's nothing more we can add at this moment in time on that to be honest, I would just echo everything the manager has said in the media about this.

Sam

3:18
spacer
Comment From Jacob
Derby interested in Richard Dunne Sam?

From that Sam Rush chat. Some interesting questions and answers!

When asked about Richard Dunne, Clough said: “Nothing has changed. Ideally, he wants to stay in the Premier League.

“I think enough clubs will be willing to take him but if for any reason it doesn’t happen, he knows where we are.

“We might get in touch with him this week and see what his situation is.”

Clough dismissed rumours Derby had spoken to Dunne and offered him a contract.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Defender-O-Brien-track-autumn-return/story-19465921-detail/story.html

Why wait?

Show some balls and talk to him now, persuade him to join, show some heart.

Why wait?

How do we know we're not waiting?

"He knows where we are with the situation" could mean "we're attaching letters to rocks and throwing it through his window twice a day, just in case he forgets".

All we know for sure, from has been said, is that we have interest in Richard Dunne and we haven't formally offered him a contract. We know nothing more.

Why wait?

33 years old, missed last season through injury, would probably want more than our wage bill would permit. If he did sign I'd just be waiting for the first post to complain about the terrible signings the club makes, throwing money away on players who are always injured. The fact that some even used the Riggott signing as a stick to beat Clough with at the time, a signing that cost us effectively nothing, really says it all on this front.

33 years old, missed last season through injury, would probably want more than our wage bill would permit. If he did sign I'd just be waiting for the first post to complain about the terrible signings the club makes, throwing money away on players who are always injured. The fact that some even used the Riggott signing as a stick to beat Clough with at the time, a signing that cost us effectively nothing, really says it all on this front.

I could give you a predictable 4 or 5 names, one of whom would be guaranteed to be the first to make that comment - and the same 4 or 5 names would possibly be the same ones who would criticise Clough if we DIDN'T try to sign him. Classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't". 

I could give you a predictable 4 or 5 names, one of whom would be guaranteed to be the first to make that comment - and the same 4 or 5 names would possibly be the same ones who would criticise Clough if we DIDN'T try to sign him. Classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't". 

And I could give you 5 predictable names that back Clough at his every move, even when clearly he has made a mistake, the way of the world Im afraid.

And I could give you 5 predictable names that back Clough at his every move, even when clearly he has made a mistake, the way of the world Im afraid.

Tedious isn't it?

Boooo, Clough Out.

By the time the season starts, Dunne will have gone 18 months since his last competitive club game.

No club in their right mind would offer him a large salary and I would be very surprised if he had any Premiership takers.

A two-year deal with a progressive Championship club would be the best he can hope for.

Just the type of player we need I feel.

If he's fit enough and will take 10k a week then let's sign him up along with Eustace to add that grit and experience.

How anyone can suggest that we cannot provide a challenge is nonsense. Name a challenge better than coming to a club of our stature and getting them promoted to the Premier League. We have the infrastructure in place that many others lack.

By the time shaun barker is back it will be at least 18 months until he's played, am i right?

How do we know we're not waiting?

"He knows where we are with the situation" could mean "we're attaching letters to rocks and throwing it through his window twice a day, just in case he forgets".

All we know for sure, from has been said, is that we have interest in Richard Dunne and we haven't formally offered him a contract. We know nothing more.

True, was going to say that all Cloughs comments could be a smoke screen.

I'd like to think he's got in contact with him, had a chat etc and tried to persuade him. Dont see why you wouldnt to be honest, if he's not interested then fair enough, move on and dont waste any time on him, let him come to us if he changes his mind/doesnt get any better offers. 

Tedious isn't it?

Boooo, Clough Out.

Totally agree, imagine if the same poster get saying the below every time someone was praising Clough

Hooray, Clough in

Would get tedious

Story on another forum is that they were on the coaching course together and discussed things then. He knows what we can offer  -  likes the place, the facilities, and the manager. Had a couple of clubs to talk to. 

The ball's in his court. Our cards are on the table.   We can but wait .................... .

Totally agree, imagine if the same poster get saying the below every time someone was praising Clough

Hooray, Clough in

Would get tedious

Vary the number of 'o's in 'Hooray'?

I personally buy into the idea that Richard Dunne is a colossus of a human being, the Russia fixture alone made him look like an unbeatable God. In saying that the last 12 months I have watched him from the Poland disaster to what little he played last year and I don't think he has it for the Premiership anymore. If he does go to a club I reckon it will be a newly promoted team that will take him on.

In terms of signing for Derby, his experience for a year (if he could stay fit that long) would be fantastic for the development of the younger players. When you look at the squad now that Roberts is gone, who is the experienced leader in the squad? As much as I barged about Savage's abilities as a footballer and my dislike of him as a person one thing he did do was lead the team. He made Bailey look like a tough midfielder but once he left Bailey had no-one to guide him on the pitch, his form dropped and now he is gone. Dunne's role would be to organise, advise and strengthen the back line and his experience would help mold Keogh for a permanent role in the Republic set-up as its no secret how much Trap loves and listens to Dunne. Of course this last point is for my own selfish needs as a ROI Supporter.

Archived