First Match moved already

physiophil

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we had better get used to it. As the top of the league and the most entertaining side in the division we will be on telly loads, hence many time and day changes.....and when we take the premier by storm next year i doubt we will play over half of our games at 3pm on Saturday.

I think BT's move is going to really shake up the market.

I'm not sure it will have as much as everyone thinks... The ad revenues for BT aren't going to be high, they don't have any subscription fees, and they still have to pay Sky to put their channels on the Sky box...

And since advertising only makes up about 10% of Sky's (not even BSkyB, just Sky) revenues AND they can still boast a subscription which shows ALL premier league games available to TV the only way they're losing out is how much they're paying for the matches...

Sky are inextricably linked to the Premier League and vice-versa.

The prem clubs now rely on the Sky money to survive, likewise Sky needs the Prem to sell subscriptions.

Take the Premier League off Sky and how many people would continue their subscriptions? Plus the income from pubs who screen Sky games.....

If all the Saturday games are score draws we'll be bottom, behind everyone else on goals scored and behind Blackburn on alphabetical order #JustSaying

Boooo Clough Out

I'm not sure it will have as much as everyone thinks... The ad revenues for BT aren't going to be high, they don't have any subscription fees, and they still have to pay Sky to put their channels on the Sky box...

And since advertising only makes up about 10% of Sky's (not even BSkyB, just Sky) revenues AND they can still boast a subscription which shows ALL premier league games available to TV the only way they're losing out is how much they're paying for the matches...

Not quite as simple as that. This is a numbers game yet, it is all about marketplace and strategy.

Sky has been built upon the Premier League, it's the main reason why the majority of households have it in the first place. It's no co-incidence that although you can get a basic Sky subscription for £21, if you want Sky Sports it doubles to £42!

Now they still have the majority of games (at the moment), but it will start to concentrate the minds of people are struggling to justify or afford to pay that amount each month when BT start to offer 40-odd games for the equivalent of £0 a month.

This is the first time Sky have faced any kind of serious threat, Setanta/ESPN et al may have held PL games packages in the past but their business model has meant they've had to charge £10+ for them. BT are able to use this as a loss-leader, they aren't using it to make money (at the moment) but to safeguard their broadband business and make further inroads into the TV market.

I don't know what the outcome of this will be but it will be interesting. For those who look-forward to the downfall of the Sky/PL financial inflation, this is the best hope there is that I can see.

Sky are inextricably linked to the Premier League and vice-versa.

The prem clubs now rely on the Sky money to survive, likewise Sky needs the Prem to sell subscriptions.

Take the Premier League off Sky and how many people would continue their subscriptions? Plus the income from pubs who screen Sky games.....

I would, you have to buy it to get Sky F1

If all the Saturday games are score draws we'll be bottom, behind everyone else on goals scored and behind Blackburn on alphabetical order #JustSaying

if they're all goalless draws as well , but it won't happen , cos For*st are *****..

Not quite as simple as that. This is a numbers game yet, it is all about marketplace and strategy.

Sky has been built upon the Premier League, it's the main reason why the majority of households have it in the first place. It's no co-incidence that although you can get a basic Sky subscription for £21, if you want Sky Sports it doubles to £42!

Now they still have the majority of games (at the moment), but it will start to concentrate the minds of people are struggling to justify or afford to pay that amount each month when BT start to offer 40-odd games for the equivalent of £0 a month.

This is the first time Sky have faced any kind of serious threat, Setanta/ESPN et al may have held PL games packages in the past but their business model has meant they've had to charge £10+ for them. BT are able to use this as a loss-leader, they aren't using it to make money (at the moment) but to safeguard their broadband business and make further inroads into the TV market.

I don't know what the outcome of this will be but it will be interesting. For those who look-forward to the downfall of the Sky/PL financial inflation, this is the best hope there is that I can see.

Who knows what's going to happen BUT there are a couple of factors you haven't allowed for:

Sky Sports viewing figures are not that high... They're done well from the Premier League but in no way rely on them...

And leading on from that point, Sky is still (currently) the way most people are going to be watching the BT Sport package... And for the near future any Premier League... Bandwidths aren't good enough yet to stream to enough houses direct to smart TVs... I would be VERY surprised if they were able to produce a good offering to their online player just yet...

How do I know? BT Sport's ad sales team have been in to see us 2/3 times already...

Sky Sports viewing figures are not that high... They're done well from the Premier League but in no way rely on them...

Not compared to terrestrial TV but they are consistently get the highest ratings on the Sky platform.

And leading on from that point, Sky is still (currently) the way most people are going to be watching the BT Sport package... And for the near future any Premier League...

I don't agree that most people will be watching BTS via Sky, remember BT have 6m+ subscribers who are all entitled to it for free.  I would anticipate it will encourage many upgrade to BT's Infinity so they can watch it on their TV for free, you can watch it in HD for free for the first year a for a few quid extra after then.

The cost of Infinity is almost the same as DSL, it's a no-brainer as they say.

Bandwidths aren't good enough yet to stream to enough houses direct to smart TVs... I would be VERY surprised if they were able to produce a good offering to their online player just yet...

How do I know? BT Sport's ad sales team have been in to see us 2/3 times already...

DSL bandwidths are fine for SD on-demand streaming and fibre gives you HD for only a few quid more.

How do I know?  I'm already streaming BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV1 and C4 live to my box in HD, oh and the BBS trail-loops in HD.  ;)   Looks great to!

I didn't post this to start a war and look for abuse so please don't feel its ok to say whatever you want.

I didn't see the date change until the day I posted so guess I don't live on the internet as it was put.

I have no problem with games being on tv be it sky or bbc, however the point I was making is there's no reason for the date/time change.

sky has 5 sports channels and the option of the interactive red button thing.

if they want to show it great just use all the options then people have the choice on what to watch.

and people still get their Saturday afternoon football.

I didn't post this to start a war and look for abuse so please don't feel its ok to say whatever you want.

I didn't see the date change until the day I posted so guess I don't live on the internet as it was put.

I have no problem with games being on tv be it sky or bbc, however the point I was making is there's no reason for the date/time change.

if they want to show it great just use all the options then people have the choice on what to watch.

So are u gonna apologise to me? (Assuming im sam rush)

They are not allowed to show live football at 3pm on a saturday, this is due to an agreement from 1960 that the the FL and FA have in place to stop crowds from dwindling. I know there are places that show matches at this time but they are not showing it from BSkyB, more than likely Sky Italia or some foreign agency (which is still a grey area in the law)

Archived