Dean Whitehead

DcfcFan97

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lazy linker

FORMER Sunderland skipper Dean Whitehead is rumoured to be a potential transfer target for Middlesbrough.

The 31-year-old has been released by Stoke City, along with another former Black Cats, Rory Delap, and currently is on the hunt for a new club.

Boro boss Tony Mowbray could be preparing to make Whitehead an offer according to the Northern Echo, with the prospect of reuniting him in midfield with former Sunderland youth academy prospect Grant Leadbitter.

A couple of other Championship clubs though – Derby County and Burnley – are also believed to be interested in a player who was a key member of Sunderland’s side from 2004-09.

Mowbray wants to strengthen the side generally so that they can sustain a push for the Premier League this season – they were in the top six until just after the New Year but faded badly.

Whitehead has more than 450 appearances under his belt but remains extremely fit and largely injury-free and would be a major benefit to any Championship side.

Sorry I am new to this haha!

Welcome to the forum - for your own sake, keep a tight hold of your sanity when you're here... ;-)

Better than anyone in our centre mid RIGHT now, and I think he would be a very good signing for any championship team. We have an exciting young team but I think we could do with one or two lads that have been there and done it, Whitehead fits the bill for me. 

If he did join you really think it'd to sit on the bench? No chance. Good player, wages far to high

I mean, I wouldn't play him ahead of our midfielders at this moment in time.

So I wouldn't have him here to sit on the bench, if Hughes or Hendrick are sold, then I'll more than welcome him in the team, good player. 

Dean Whitehead is so average its unreal. Your making out he is so amazing but we have 3 better centre midfielders than him. Hendrick and Hughes both Premier League prospects and Bryson is so important in the team. Why would we waste wages by signing someone average who we don't need. Would be disappointed if we signed him

Archived