Help Cardiff City, Help Football

bluebirdbaker

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmm, sort of see where your coming from there Alpha.

I can only speak from my own perspective. Derby to me is getting off the train pumped to the eyeballs with excitement, adrenaline, fear, hope, 

better than any drug you could ever hope for.....buzzin', singing, hiding, running, testosterone sizzling like a fookin rocket,

winning the league was normal when i was at school! I was travelling to Man U, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Stoke, Leeds and every where else with silk scarves tied round me wrists singing "Derby boys we are here whoa whoa," by the time i was 15!

Football in the 70's, as a Derby fan, was probably as good as it ever got. The lads  now, who follow Derby, who love Derby, who hate Derby when we lose, but still turn up in their thousands.......you are the best fans in the world. It would be so easy to do what some of your mates probably do and "support" whoever is top of the Premier League...well fook them.....they will never know the sheer exhilaration of seeing your club, the team that you and your mates supported as a kid, beating the best in the land when it happens.

And it will happen.

We will play in the Prem and spank the Chelseas and the Citeh's once more, we will punch above our weight again and Derby's name will be headline news.....

and when it happens, believe me, it will mean far more to you than it would to some sad vvanker who decided to support Man U or Man C or whoever happened to be winning when they grew up.

Keep the faith. 

DCFC

"When your feeling tired and weary, your hearts will skip a beat.........

Didn't we remove some of the soul of the club when we moved from the BBG to a Riverside Stadium copy?

I never saw the BBG, but it's a discussion worth having. Our ground is a little soulless, and so little has happened at PP to make it our true "home" yet. There are a pitifully low number of successful memories in comparison to what the BBG saw (which obviously saw third tier football and many dull seasons, but all the same).

Every club has to move on at some stage, and we couldn't live with the BBG as it was forever. But my question is, what have we gained from our move to Pride Park? What has happened since 1997 that's outstandingly positive that wouldn't if we stayed put, or did something different?

Who cares if they rebrand the club.. In the US they're always making new franchises etc..

Clubs like Cardiff and Derby have very little history anyway.. Who cares if they change the colour of the shirts and sponsors etc. aslong as they improve the club in general..

In Cardiff's case your owners have just won you promotion and they've just made you become more wellknown worldwide.. Let them do what they want..

Of course the rebranding issue wouldn't matter to you Bris. Why should it?

There's a difference you see. You follow Derby County. You don't support them. If you were a supporter then issues such as these would matter to you.

Didn't we remove some of the soul of the club when we moved from the BBG to a Riverside Stadium copy?

Some, perhaps - but we had to move from the BBG. I remember when they were first talking about demolishing 3 of the stands and moving the pitch round 90 degrees as part of a Baseball Ground redevelopment. The problem was that you couldn't build 100 foot high stands in a residential area - and it was out of the question buying every house within 200 yards of the stadium to shut up objections that way.

Anyway, would the Baseball Ground have been the same with four concrete and steel stands as opposed to three wooden ones?

The design of Pride Park was such that it was built with two expansions in mind - first of all filling in the corners, and secondly the alignment of the other stands to the height of the Toyota Stand. The first happened almost immediately, and the second WILL happen if attendance demands it (i.e. established Premier League club playing to a capacity crowd every week).

What do you want from a stadium - mud and wood? Those days have gone. 

Was there any outrage when the short colours changed for instance?

Yes - because Derby County, apart from the early days as a spinoff from Derbyshire Cricket Club when they played in Amber and Chocolate, play in black and white, not blue and white. For those that didn't care, I ask one simple question: Does tradition mean nothing? If it doesn't, then I'm afraid that you are supporting the wrong club.

Was there any outrage when the short colours changed for instance?

Not really, the colours went from black and white to blue and white. The White shirt was still there. We still had the Ram, the design changed but it was still a Ram.

What Cardiff have done is completely different. 

Some, perhaps - but we had to move from the BBG. I remember when they were first talking about demolishing 3 of the stands and moving the pitch round 90 degrees as part of a Baseball Ground redevelopment. The problem was that you couldn't build 100 foot high stands in a residential area - and it was out of the question buying every house within 200 yards of the stadium to shut up objections that way.

Anyway, would the Baseball Ground have been the same with four concrete and steel stands as opposed to three wooden ones?

The design of Pride Park was such that it was built with two expansions in mind - first of all filling in the corners, and secondly the alignment of the other stands to the height of the Toyota Stand. The first happened almost immediately, and the second WILL happen if attendance demands it (i.e. established Premier League club playing to a capacity crowd every week).

We couldn't stay at the BBG. But Pride Park has not been the best answer to the question, IMO.

Couldn't care less about the stadium, infact only went to 3 matches at BBG just curious that is all.

Yes - because Derby County, apart from the early days as a spinoff from Derbyshire Cricket Club when they played in Amber and Chocolate, play in black and white, not blue and white. For those that didn't care, I ask one simple question: Does tradition mean nothing? If it doesn't, then I'm afraid that you are supporting the wrong club.

Not really, the colours went from black and white to blue and white. The White shirt was still there. We still had the Ram, the design changed but it was still a Ram.

What Cardiff have done is completely different. 

Thanks for that. I don't want the clubs identity to change as such but I also want success and if we get success under our current model (depandant on your views on modern owners) this will make me delighted. West Brom and Swansea have done it, no reason why we can't.

I find projects like Cardiff and Watford interesting as I love to see what happens at the end of it, do I want that setup for Derby not really but there are quite a few Watford fans who like their links with Udinese and Cardiff got higher gates than last season so some people do.

Nobody is wrong, it comes down to personal preference just look at Micheal Knighton at George Reynolds at Darlo, ambitious projects that failed and compared to Dave Whelan at Wigan and Al-Fayed at Fulham None of these changed the colours thought but they all bulit/re-bulit stadiums and punt plenty of money (debt into the four clubs) with differing results.

Of course the rebranding issue wouldn't matter to you Bris. Why should it?

There's a difference you see. You follow Derby County. You don't support them. If you were a supporter then issues such as these would matter to you.

I support Derby County.. Of course I do.. I want what is best for them, that makes me a supporter..

A follower is someone who enjoys a product and enjoys the entertainment of the product..

I follow Barcelona, I follow Spain, I follow the Chicago Blackhawks and I follow football in general..

But I support Derby, if I only followed them I would have moved on a long time ago because what they're serving up now is anything but entertainment.. Stale average performances in a poor league with average players.. But I support them, I stick with them..

But if you're asking whether I'd sacrifice a change in colour or badge to the better of the team that I support then I'm 100% for it.. Like I said, call me selfish.. But I also think you're selfish in that you'd not want our club to move on to better things just because you find the colours black and white iconic and historic..

It's clearly not destroying Cardiff City.. Look at their attendances.. It's making them grow as a club.

So , changing our colours and re-nicknaming the club would get us into Europe would it ?

that's a good plan ! :wacko:

i'd have thought performances on the pitch would be the best approach ,

then again, what do i know..

Life is also about not following the crowd. If we did what what was logical, what was sensible..we'd all follow Man Utd, Liverpool or some other club that Bris deems worthy of worldwide attention.

We don't though. Cos its f*cking boring.

Its all about that white shirt. That Ram on that shirt. Those memories of the BBG. The fact you're backed up by league titles, numerous top 6 finishes, numerous great players.. I remember first time in 1991 I saw that "Match of the 70's" tape...what a team. Smashed domestic & European teams at will - yes, dirty Don Revie's dirty Leeds, yes, Benfica in the middle of a European wide run of domestic wins, yes, Real Madrid....all humbled at the feet of the mighty Rams. The pride I felt :)

There's no amount of money that will make me part with that pride, nothing. Don't give a toss if binrobbers & treehuggers have cash - it only serves to demonstrate what pointless cr*ppy little clubs they always were. For that reason, I applaud Clough's very silent, velvet revolution...I hope he rewards all of us that have shown such patience.

We're Derby County..we don't give a f**k

I have signed the petition - being a bitter and twisted traditionalist'

If playing in red shirts makes them more popular in the Far East then I will be surprised. Being a top four club will make them popular - if they become synonymous with defeat next season, all of Malaysia will not be interested.

I support Derby County.. Of course I do.. I want what is best for them, that makes me a supporter..

A follower is someone who enjoys a product and enjoys the entertainment of the product..

I follow Barcelona, I follow Spain, I follow the Chicago Blackhawks and I follow football in general..

But I support Derby, if I only followed them I would have moved on a long time ago because what they're serving up now is anything but entertainment.. Stale average performances in a poor league with average players.. But I support them, I stick with them..

But if you're asking whether I'd sacrifice a change in colour or badge to the better of the team that I support then I'm 100% for it.. Like I said, call me selfish.. But I also think you're selfish in that you'd not want our club to move on to better things just because you find the colours black and white iconic and historic..

It's clearly not destroying Cardiff City.. Look at their attendances.. It's making them grow as a club.

So, if we relocated to Gotham, changed our team name to Notts Forest (Notts County has gone, so a new name is necessary), changed the kit to red to appeal to foreign markets and the badge to a bonsai tree you would still support them - especially if promotion was on the cards?

So, if we relocated to Gotham, changed our team name to Notts Forest (Notts County has gone, so a new name is necessary), changed the kit to red to appeal to foreign markets and the badge to a bonsai tree you would still support them - especially if promotion was on the cards?

I said I was 100% against the moving of a club (franchise).. So no.

We couldn't stay at the BBG. But Pride Park has not been the best answer to the question, IMO.

Plans to redevelop the ground had been made after a move to a new stadium were shelved. (it was deemed too expensive and a construction deal had been signed for the redevelopment costing £10m and a capacity of 26,000)

The club originally planned to build a purpose-built 30,000-seat stadium at Pride Park, with 4,000 car parking spaces, restaurant and conference facilities, a fitness centre, a supporters club and new training ground. A year later the stadium plan was changed to become part of a £46 million project by the Stadivarios group that would also include a 10,000-seat indoor arena.[2] However, Peter Gadsby, the club's associate director at the time and head of the Miller Birch construction company felt the project was both too ambitious and expensive and instead plans were drawn up by new Chairman Lionel Pickering to modernise and extend the Baseball Ground to hold 26,000,[3] at a cost of £10 million.[2] However, despite signing a construction agreement with Taylor Woodrow, Gadsby suggested the club make a second attempt at securing the then-redeveloping Pride Park business park, settling with Derby City Council for a smaller site than previously agreed.[2] On 21 February 1996, prior to a match against Luton Town at The Baseball Ground, the club announced to supporters the decision to move to a £16 m state-of-the-art stadium for the start of the 1997–98 season.

Who cares if they rebrand the club.. In the US they're always making new franchises etc..

Clubs like Cardiff and Derby have very little history anyway.. Who cares if they change the colour of the shirts and sponsors etc. aslong as they improve the club in general..

In Cardiff's case your owners have just won you promotion and they've just made you become more wellknown worldwide.. Let them do what they want..

Clown

Archived