What's in a Name?

I know some teams and supporters may have less than complimentary names for Derby County.

I suppose this goes with the territory for any club.

The only name that makes my fur rise is "County"!

Not even our most ardent detractors from other clubs refer to the Rams as "County" yet some ill informed journalists seem to think they are cool, or super hip by so doing.

I have never heard fans of any persuasion refer to us as "County"

Is it just me? Have I lived too sheltered a life?

Does it get up anyone else's nose?

Know what I mean?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, County is Notts County.

'Derby'. It's shorter than 'County'. 'Rams' is shorter. I have no idea why they do it. I think they should refer to clubs how the clubs fans refer to the club.

I don't really get why Notts Forest hate being called Notts Forest. I think calling us County is more dismissive and elusive than Notts Forest is to them.

'County' are Notts.

Back in the 60's and 70's we didn't really care that much - certainly not to get wound up about.

I still don't.

The problem is, Sky and the BBC have this magic rule that if you say the same name for a football team twice in a match review, you die. That's why in 5 minutes, we get called about 5768 different things.

"Derby started the match well, with Sammon netting a goal for the East Midlanders early on. County then doubled their lead with a superb strike from Coutts. The Pride Park outfit held on, despite a late spell of pressure from Forest. Clough's men now look safe from the drop. The Rams will travel to Charlton on Tuesday"

The problem is, Sky and the BBC have this magic rule that if you say the same name for a football team twice in a match review, you die. That's why in 5 minutes, we get called about 5768 different things.

"Derby started the match well, with Sammon netting a goal for the East Midlanders early on. County then doubled their lead with a superb strike from Coutts. The Pride Park outfit held on, despite a late spell of pressure from Forest. Clough's men now look safe from the drop. The Rams will travel to Charlton on Tuesday"

The great I AM (Alan......Partridge, obviously) would be proud of that journalese.

I rrecall my 60's schooldays having to spot articles where the writer had a phobia of repeating a word.

We now have thesauri which do the hard work for us. I trust you are in a receptive state in which one is able to comprehend the arcane significance and purpose which motivated and prompted yours truly to initiate this thread.

We now have thesauri which do the hard work for us. I trust you are in a receptive state in which one is able to comprehend the arcane significance and purpose which motivated and prompted yours truly to initiate this thread.

Mate, I work in the building trade. Keep it simple for some of us yeah? Speak slowly and loud with plenty of gestures.

Duracell, on 20 May 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:"http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapback" alt="snapback">

You've just disproved your own argument. Your version sounds a lot better than: 

"Derby started the match well, with Sammon netting a goal for Derby early on. Derby then doubled their lead with a superb strike from Coutts. Derby held on, despite a late spell of pressure from Forest. Derby now look safe from the drop. Derby will travel to Charlton on Tuesday".

If I heard that I'd be calling for the commentator's head!

The only thiong that ever p!ssed me off when I was wee boy was people prenoucing Deeerrrrrby not Darby, and asking me if it was Darby why is it not spelt like that??? Does that make sense???

No. None whatsoever..

Duracell, on 20 May 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:"http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapback" alt="snapback">

You've just disproved your own argument. Your version sounds a lot better than: 

"Derby started the match well, with Sammon netting a goal for Derby early on. Derby then doubled their lead with a superb strike from Coutts. Derby held on, despite a late spell of pressure from Forest. Derby now look safe from the drop. Derby will travel to Charlton on Tuesday".

If I heard that I'd be calling for the commentator's head!

I don't mean use Derby every time! But when they start calling us "County" and "East Midlanders", you can tell they're struggling.

The season's only over a week and we are already resorting to debating pointless drivel..........come on Sam Rush, sign another player and give us something to talk about.......can someone make up a half exciting rumour to chew on..........roll on 13th July and our first pre-season friendly :(

Archived