Academy U18s Squad

Stimacked

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see 1 or 2 other youngsters breaking into the 18 man squad this season. Apart from Hughes we haven't had an academy prospect in the 18 man squad consistently for the past 2 or 3 years (Hendrick and O'Brien era). Would be great to see a few more in there!

I'd like to see 1 or 2 other youngsters breaking into the 18 man squad this season. Apart from Hughes we haven't had an academy prospect in the 18 man squad consistently for the past 2 or 3 years (Hendrick and O'Brien era). Would be great to see a few more in there!

Erm Hughes was last season and Hendrick and OB were the season before so not sure what you're what you are on about. :p;)

I did say consistently, in the past 4 years since Clough's 'youth policy' was bought in we have 2 academy players that get into our 18 man sqad regularly - Hughes and Hendrick.

Would be good to see one or two more in the 18 man squad consistently this season.

I did say consistently, in the past 4 years since Clough's 'youth policy' was bought in we have 2 academy players that get into our 18 man sqad regularly - Hughes and Hendrick.

In all fairness the youth system wasn't going to start producing players as soon as Clough set it up was it? 

Whatever happens to Clough in the future none of us can question his long term planning and commitment to DCFC. In his 2nd season here he split the 1st team management and coaching staff from the Acadeny staff. 

If Nige and his staff get sacked the Academy staff will continue. It was a policy decision that Nigel didn't have to make but he did.

For that reason only, he convinced me that his heart is here at Derby. He will continue to bring kids through into the first team.

Would be good to see one or two more in the 18 man squad consistently this season.

2 first ream regulars in 4 years is very impressive. Not to mention that OB would have been regular too. Then we have a few fringe players from the Academy. Actually, any more than that, I'd be a bit worried that we're relying on our Academy too much.

Let's have a look at the ultimate academy in world football, at Barcelona.

Past 4 years, how many Barca B players have played consistently? Similar number. Tello and Thiago are the only two who are firm candidates for starting places right now, but you have Montoya, Barta and Roberto on the bench and occasionally starting. Like OB, Bennett and Ball for us.

Not sure what you expect from an Academy, but if you're producing roughly a player a season, like we are, then you're doing really well.

Academy Update.

The scholars for this years U18s were done over the last two weeks with 3-4 Foreign players being added. Like Will and Mason. Lowe and Hanson will be play for the u18s,u21s and first team. Theses are the two players Nigel has chosen this year to push on and gain more experience for them. There has been no official scholar list yet but 7 players from the u16 were given scholarships and the rest are from surrounding academy's some already mentioned as being youth internationals so big coups.

Player Watch U18

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parmafc/6260433452/

17 year old Matteo Capitani who has recently been given a scholarship from Italian side Parma. I am yet to see him train but have been told he has speed and can operate on the wing or through the middle. I was also told he was offered a deal with Parma but has ambition to play in England.

Player Watch U21

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=josh+lelan&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=GR4PzJ_iZczt_M&tbnid=Gxg290CFUyo_QM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FJosh_Lelan&ei=a0rlUeaiDrKo0AWKgYGQAg&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNF41JrKXZySZJQlnM9aCJoV9_dpLQ&ust=1374067539955270

Josh Lelan who plays centre back. He has bulked up over the last two years and still kept his speed. Very calm on the ball and can play a good long pass up top as well.

Also everyone watch out for Callum Ball.

Player Watch U18

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parmafc/6260433452/

17 year old Matteo Capitani who has recently been given a scholarship from Italian side Parma. I am yet to see him train but have been told he has speed and can operate on the wing or through the middle. I was also told he was offered a deal with Parma but has ambition to play in England.

Or as Bris would put it "no ambition at all".

Archived