WOW! I can't believe we've signed......

Boycie

Mikkel Beck will always be my benchmark when measuring how bad a derby forward actually is.

The one and only thing he did that I approved of was take his sorry ass to forest on loan and be equally **** there.

For that I respect him. But only for that lol

The last minute equalizer at The Dell to make it 3-3 is my only memory of him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last minute equalizer at The Dell to make it 3-3 is my only memory of him.

I worked in Middlesbrough and stayed in Redcar a few years ago.

My memories of him related to his extra-curricular shenanigans

I worked in Middlesbrough and stayed in Redcar a few years ago.

My memories of him related to his extra-curricular shenanigans

Yes, in partnership with Ben Roberts apparently

Must have made for an interesting atmosphere on the way to the 97 Cup Final - with Curtis Fleming & Ravanelli scrapping on the coach on the way down as well

Alledgedly

Mikkel Beck will always be my benchmark when measuring how bad a derby forward actually is.

The one and only thing he did that I approved of was take his sorry ass to forest on loan and be equally **** there.

For that I respect him. But only for that lol

My only memory of Beck was his appalling barnet

I remember a boro fan on 606 saying beck was so bad they would take airmiles for him......

Then the next thing you know, we've only gone and signed the tvat.

Jim smith at his worst.

Rumour has it the derby manager at the time (Jim Smith?) Offered Robbo £2m for him in an unofficial chat. Robbo laughed so Derby officially offered £500K and got him for that.

• 4 weeks later...

I can still clearly recall the shock that ran throughout the town when Kevin Hector signed for the Rams in the mid 60s for £40,000 I think.  And he never failed to deliver.

After that, Archie Gemmill from Preston in 1970, effectively to replace Willie Carlin, but was better.

Then Colin Todd for a then UK record transfer fee - will we ever do that again? - of £175,000, in 1971.

Shilton and Mark Wright were exciting as were Dean Saunders and Eranio.  If Mr Russell can get off to as good a start as Dean Saunders then we will have some fun over the next season or two.

Was Kevin Hector a big name before he came to Derby then?

From memory he had played about 200 games over four or five years at Bradford Park Avenue and had scored over 100 goals - those figures may be a bit out. But he had a reputation as a goalscorer and at £40,000 he was, in those days, expensive.

The question was why he chose Derby at that time. We were a mid table side, not investing huge amounts on a promotion push and living on past memories. Hmmmm. In today's Sky Sports/agent driven age he would probably have been snapped up by a PL club some time before. But he did join us, did well but wasn't able to have a significant impact on the team's overall league position until BC surrounded him with an altogether better standard of player than we had in '67.

Kevin got 113 goals in 176 games for Bradford PA.

Joe Mercer (Man. City) offered to pay Tim Ward "double whatever you paid for him" within weeks of his Derby debut, so sensational had been his performances, and in particular that unbelievable home debut. Clough  remarked from his time at Hartlepools that there were only two class players in the old 4th division, and it was his good fortune that one had already landed at Derby - and the second soon followed : Roy Mac!!

Disgraceful that Kev only got two England caps, one incidentally when Mercer was the national manager.

Archived