CF - Bloomer - England

CF - Wanchope - Costa Rica

Subs

Van der Laan - Netherlands

McGrath - ROI

Saunders - Wales

Strupar - Belgium

Rasiak - Poland

Not a bad side - all they need is a couple of experienced championship performers and we'll finish in the top six for sure...

Could Bloomer play with Wanchope? Could anyone play with Wanchope?

Substitute, Doherty for Kinky, and that's your team I think! And I've have Daly as ROI's entry.

Substitute, Doherty for Kinky, and that's your team I think! And I've have Daly as ROI's entry.

Fair enough, I never really saw Doherty or Daly so can't comment.

Gemmill is in there cos my dad said he was a king amongst men!

I was thinking about the foreigners in our team today - or rather, the lack of them, especially compared to other clubs like us (or should I say, clubs we want to be like).

Then, I was also thinking about what foreign players have done for us. In the 1990s, quite a lot.

But that foreign influence has only come from a few countries. Croatia and Italy stand out in particular, but there are some notable exceptions - Brazil, France and only one player you'd really think of from Spain.

But what if we made an all-time XI, using 11 different nations of players who have played for us? And how would that compete against the "Official" XI?

Here's the kind of players you'd get.

Mart Poom. Estonia - Not the best 'keeper we've ever had, but my English player has been taken up.

Igor Stimac. Croatia - had to be in, really.

Stefano Eranio - Italy.

Inigo Idiakez - Spain.

Archie Gemill - Scotland.

Peter Doherty - Ireland.

Steve Bloomer - England.

Dean Saunders - Wales

Okay, I'm really starting to struggle now....

Being really thick here but who did we have from Brazil?

Rasiak can go in on the account of the fact he's good enough, Pesch can go in for the coffee cup!

As for Peter Doherty, he played for Ireland at a time when the Irish team picked players from the whole of Ireland. If we're being technical, we can make him Northern Irish. Which frees up a spot from the Republic.

Must have been a decent ROI player from the Clough era?

Conor Sammon :ph34r:

Doherty? what position did he play and how often did you see him play?

Inside left, you can play him wide left. Of course I never saw him play - part of the 1946 FA Cup winning team. But I don't need to have seen him play to know he was better than Kinkladze! As I've said, one of the best players in what was the best team in the world after the war. How many other players have we had in our history inducted into the Hall of Fame?

He's one of the most underrated Derby footballers of all time. He's forgotten, just like the Cup winning team has been. The nation stopped for our Cup win. The first post-war FA Cup was such a massively significant thing at the time, for many reasons - and we won the thing!

Fair enough, I never really saw Doherty or Daly so can't comment.

Gemmill is in there cos my dad said he was a king amongst men!

Neither have I :lol:

But some players, you just know were awesome, I've read plenty about the others to suggest they'd be better than player like Kinky who served us well, but at a lower level.

You look at footage of Gemmill and you realise he was something else. Small, stocky, quick-footed - Santi Carzola of his time?

Neither have I :lol:

But some players, you just know were awesome, I've read plenty about the others to suggest they'd be better than player like Kinky who served us well, but at a lower level.

You look at footage of Gemmill and you realise he was something else. Small, stocky, quick-footed - Santi Carzola of his time?

Never saw Doherty but those that I knew that did said he was a wonderful player - one of those who would have been a star in any era. Similarly Leon Leuty who, for those that saw both was the only player to get close to/be better than Roy Mac.

Did see all of Daly and Gemmill's Rams careers though. Very different footballers and very different Derby County teams and eras that they played in. Both very good. But Archie was the better by some way for me. He had everything except height and his personality more than made up for that. A player like him in our team today would single handedly transform it not only because of his footballing skills but primarily his drive and determination. I didn't think Willie Carlin could be bettered in that role until I saw Archie Gemmill. Wonderful player.

Being really thick here but who did we have from Brazil?

Jose Junior. Last head of playing for Vitoria in 2010 where his goals fired them to the Brazilian cup final.

Jose Junior. Last head of playing for Vitoria in 2010 where his goals fired them to the Brazilian cup final.

You'd have hoped that we'd signed him on some exotic scouting mission to Sao Paulo.

Instead we got him from Walsall.

You'd have hoped that we'd signed him on some exotic scouting mission to Sao Paulo.

Instead we got him from Walsall.

Purely because he scored a hat-trick against us.

Nathan Ellington, anybody?

Roy Carroll - Northern Ireland

Francois Grenet - France
Claude Davis - Jamaica
Mo Konjic - Bosnia
Thomsz Hajto - Poland

Eddie Lewis - USA
Blessing Kaku - Nigeria
Paul Thirlwell - England
Candido Costa - Portugal

Stern John - Trinidad
Earnshaw - Welsh.