A Derby County World XI

Duracell

I was thinking about the foreigners in our team today - or rather, the lack of them, especially compared to other clubs like us (or should I say, clubs we want to be like).

Then, I was also thinking about what foreign players have done for us. In the 1990s, quite a lot.

But that foreign influence has only come from a few countries. Croatia and Italy stand out in particular, but there are some notable exceptions - Brazil, France and only one player you'd really think of from Spain.

But what if we made an all-time XI, using 11 different nations of players who have played for us? And how would that compete against the "Official" XI?

Here's the kind of players you'd get.

Mart Poom. Estonia - Not the best 'keeper we've ever had, but my English player has been taken up.

Igor Stimac. Croatia - had to be in, really.

Stefano Eranio - Italy.

Inigo Idiakez - Spain.

Archie Gemill - Scotland.

Peter Doherty - Ireland.

Steve Bloomer - England.

Dean Saunders - Wales

Okay, I'm really starting to struggle now....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacob Laursen - Denmark

Marco Reich - Germany

Robin van der Laan - Netherlands

Paulo Wanchope - Costa Rica

That will make up your eleven plus a sub.

I'm sure there was a quiz floating around work surrounding something like 27 different nationalities since Jim Smith was manager...

Forgot about Laursen - a decent pairing with Stimac. But not as good as, say, Todd and Stimac...

If that is the rest of the team, then they'd get comprehensively thumped by the official XI! I'm assuming all things are equal, ie all the players are on the same diet and training methods, and that Bloomer's allowed to wear a pair of Nikes.

I'd probably put Kinkladze in above Reich. Taribo West has probably been our best African player, he can go on the bench.

Rasiak can go on the bench? (for his exploits against Forest)

Peschisolido for Canada (same reason as the above)

Rasiak can go in on the account of the fact he's good enough, Pesch can go in for the coffee cup!

As for Peter Doherty, he played for Ireland at a time when the Irish team picked players from the whole of Ireland. If we're being technical, we can make him Northern Irish. Which frees up a spot from the Republic.

Must have been a decent ROI player from the Clough era?

Rasiak can go in on the account of the fact he's good enough, Pesch can go in for the coffee cup!

As for Peter Doherty, he played for Ireland at a time when the Irish team picked players from the whole of Ireland. If we're being technical, we can make him Northern Irish. Which frees up a spot from the Republic.

Must have been a decent ROI player from the Clough era?

Lee Carsley in my time of watching Derby

Poom – Estonia

Langan - Ireland

Camara - Guinea

Stimac - Croatia

West - Nigeria

Eranio - Italy

Gemmill - Scotland

Idiakez - Spain

James - Wales

Bloomer - England

Wanchope - Costa Rica

I know there must be a better option for left back...I just can't think of one. Maybe Nish and replace Bloomer with Raziak?

What's his church done wrong? Just done a little internet search and can't really find much.

Didn't Taribo fly back to Africa or America or wherever his church was based, during the week, regularly miss training and only pitch up at the last minute for matches. And then played a blinder.

He always reminded me of a fit Paul McGrath - never trained much but could always put in a fantastic performance

Poom – Estonia

Langan - Ireland

Camara - Guinea

Stimac - Croatia

West - Nigeria

Eranio - Italy

Gemmill - Scotland

Idiakez - Spain

James - Wales

Bloomer - England

Wanchope - Costa Rica

I know there must be a better option for left back...I just can't think of one. Maybe Nish and replace Bloomer with Raziak?

Take out Wanchope and stick in Doherty. One of the first players to be inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame and an integral part of the first team to lift the FA Cup after the war. In 1946....Derby were the best team in the world, and he was one of the best players in the team.

I think it's better to have Camara there with the other defenders covering him that to leave out Bloomer, you need someone to score the goals.

Archived