Is Nigel the one to take us forward..........

....but i'm not convinced the replacements are really any better....

Pretty sure they are. Not many of our cast offs have moved on to better things.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pointless to say who is doing better than who..

How do you compare? Anyone playing at NPC level is in the same boat every summer.. The guys that have come in are hardly better than the ones that have left given we've just finished 5 points ahead of what we did in NCs first season..

5 points is a win and 2 draws difference..

Massive improvement that.. Especially as the NPC has gotten weaker every year

I think this highlighted point is one legitimate point of criticism which can be levelled at Clough - player turnover.  Robinson and Fielding are most likely on their way out in the close season, after little more than 2 years at the club.  Both were trumpeted quite highly when they were being signed, but will in all probability leave with scarcely an acknowledgement.

Nigel seems to have a particular desire to sign certain players whom he then rejects and almost brushes under the carpet (see the quotes from when Theo, Frank, Maguire and Jacobs were signed).  I really wish he'd admit that he's made some mistakes in the transfer market.  In fact, I wish he'd admit he's made any mistakes at all.

Why should any manager ever admit to making mistakes? People seem to think it's something like a debating club or a knitting circle, when afterwards people have a nice chat over a cup of tea and discuss dropped stitches. I want my club's manager to be a hard-as-nails barsteward who doesn't take any crap from anyone, including fans.

Phil Brown went up in my estimation 100% the day he called some Derby fans 'disgraceful' because they booed one of his substitutions. He probably chose his words carefully to avoid hurting the darlings' feelings too.

I'd like Clough to tell some to eff off too.

The replacements are no better, its just shuffling average for average.

So how come the performances are better?

I don't know, but I'll ask my nephew, he's been to every away game this season.

Although I suspect I'll just get a mouthful of abuse.

Ha. Fair point, although I said performances, not results, and the home form I've seen has been just as good as the away form your nephew has endured has been poor. I've been away twice, lost both games and not seen us score - but I bet we had more possession in both games. Two years ago we'd have got over-run.

Judging by how early we've been declaring interest and with probably the first transfer in the football league (correct me if I'm wrong), it would lead me to believe one of two things:

a. This is Clough's make or break season - SR/ the board is going for it and is pressuring Clough for a top 6 finish OR

b. Clough is putting pressure on SR/the board for the funds for a top 6 finish

Personally I'd like to see if Clough, given the money without having to sell first, is able to get us there before judging whether he has the ability to move us forward. But for me, and I suspect more than a few others, its this season or bust.

Respect for Clough for doing what he has done so far, and I would much prefer it not to be the limit of his powers, but I personally don't think I can take much more mid-table average-ness. To have even a slight hope of making the play-offs is preferable. 

There has been more excitement a few miles down the A38. Dare I say even a hint more ambition.

Nevertheless, once a Ram, always a Ram.

We said that last season. What's suddenly altered.

Nothing from within the club last season indicated that it was a make-or-break season, and nothing from within the club has (directly) indicated that next season will be either. However, we seem to be trying to get things sorted out early doors regarding players and contracts, which MAY indicate a more direct sense of purpose.

Nothing from within the club last season indicated that it was a make-or-break season, and nothing from within the club has (directly) indicated that next season will be either. However, we seem to be trying to get things sorted out early doors regarding players and contracts, which MAY indicate a more direct sense of purpose.

Thank you, eddie.

I wasn't talking about official lines from the club, was talking about the consensus on here last summer - that a lot of folks who were undecided about Clough's time in charge would be waiting to see how he fared in the new season then cast judgement after that. The phrase make or break season came up a lot in threads then. By default you can't have successive make or break seasons it's a singular event. 

I wasn't talking about official lines from the club, was talking about the consensus on here last summer - that a lot of folks who were undecided about Clough's time in charge would be waiting to see how he fared in the new season then cast judgement after that. The phrase make or break season came up a lot in threads then. By default you can't have successive make or break seasons it's a singular event. 

We don't make the rules - therefore it was never a 'make or break' season.

I think many people thought it was a defining summer for the owners, to invest in players, as we had got rid of the Jewell rubbish and reduced the wage bill significantly.

Archived