Is Nigel the one to take us forward..........

I wasn't talking about official lines from the club, was talking about the consensus on here last summer - that a lot of folks who were undecided about Clough's time in charge would be waiting to see how he fared in the new season then cast judgement after that. The phrase make or break season came up a lot in threads then. By default you can't have successive make or break seasons it's a singular event. 

But I was.. you can't take a comment out of context to try and argue against what I said..

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've said this is Clough's make or break season, I countered that the consensus was that the season just gone was his make or break season. Not trying to take anything out of context merely replying to the statement you made. But hey ho upwards and onwards

No, I posited that the noise coming from the club infers that the board sees this season as make or break for Clough.

and then you quoted the first part of that suggestion, and removed the "SR/ the board is going for it and is pressuring Clough for a top 6 finish" part.

Pretty sure they are. Not many of our cast offs have moved on to better things.

But tbf he bought a lot of our cast offs.

Were they ever really good enough?

Just something to consider. Not having a pop

This season may well be Clough's make or break year, if we don't make a play off push at the least then it may be time to go, although i can see the flip side, in the youth side and a young hungry squad.

I can't see Hughes, Brayford, Bryson,Hendrick,  Grant and Keogh wanting to play year after year in the championship, they can all play at a higher quality

This season may well be Clough's make or break year, if we don't make a play off push at the least then it may be time to go, although i can see the flip side, in the youth side and a young hungry squad.

I can't see Hughes, Brayford, Bryson,Hendrick,  Grant and Keogh wanting to play year after year in the championship, they can all play at a higher quality

In fairness I think only Brayford and Hughes are nailed on Prem quality and Hughes not for another few years. Hendrick is there or thereabouts, the others are Champ quality really and I doubt any would make a Prem squad....

I'd say they were at the time...

The players he brought in to start with were good enough to keep us up... Then he signed players who would ensure our safety slightly earlier in the season (and for me they overperformed last season finsihing 12th)... Then he signed players who could keep us safely mid-table and start proving we can compete with pretty much anyone in the league...

I think this summer we'll see him buy the players who will take us up to playoff contenders...

I'd say they were at the time...

The players he brought in to start with were good enough to keep us up... Then he signed players who would ensure our safety slightly earlier in the season (and for me they overperformed last season finsihing 12th)... Then he signed players who could keep us safely mid-table and start proving we can compete with pretty much anyone in the league...

I think this summer we'll see him buy the players who will take us up to playoff contenders...

I agree and working in the bargain basement trying to unearth talent from lower leagues and Scotland you're bound to have a few that don't cut it, I think overall his signings have been able to improve the side and reduce the wage budget. That's a pretty good return.

This summer we may be able to increase the wage budget by losing some of the peripheral players and thus improve the overal quality in depth again...

I agree and working in the bargain basement trying to unearth talent from lower leagues and Scotland you're bound to have a few that don't cut it, I think overall his signings have been able to improve the side and reduce the wage budget. That's a pretty good return.

This summer we may be able to increase the wage budget by losing some of the peripheral players and thus improve the overal quality in depth again...

Agreed... Although I've never been keen on the phrase "bargain basement"... I wouldn't consider Martin or Grant to be "basement" players but they've both come in on free transfers...

Agreed... Although I've never been keen on the phrase "bargain basement"... I wouldn't consider Martin or Grant to be "basement" players but they've both come in on free transfers...

No fair point, poor choice of words actually but free transfers is obviously a different kettle of cheese

No fair point, poor choice of words actually but free transfers is obviously a different kettle of cheese

Wasn't a dig at you... Just get frustrated by the phrase! Why is it that in football people seem to see a 'bargain' as a bad thing?!?!?!

I'd like a kettle of cheese...

Can't argue they were, but I'd say he was buying players to do a job from a limited market, from which he's had a decent return of hits.

Is that a good or a bad thing, or just a statement?

To stay on in one of the toughest divisions in football for 4 years shows tenacity.  To have brought on a posse of youth team players shows strategy.  If Nigel can just work on tactics, I think he can take us up next season.  ;)

I just hope Clough has it in him to add weight to the argument that longevity = success, personally I just think that Clough will prove that longevity = stability i.e. we will become a stable Championship club under his stewardship

I just hope Clough has it in him to add weight to the argument that longevity = success, personally I just think that Clough will prove that longevity = stability i.e. we will become a stable Championship club under his stewardship

I'd say he's already done that

I was using the term stable as a deragotary phrase i.e. firmly planted in mid table season after season

Oh right, silly me thinking that stable might be a good thing!

I personally don't see decent mid-table finishes for the last couple of seasons, from where we were, to be a particularly bad thing. I wouldn't be too disheartened by a good top 10 finish next season either but I think Nigel will get some support over the summer and until Christmas to see whether he can take things higher than that. If we're not pushing top 6 by the New Year I think he might not get much longer than that, time will tell whether he's got it in him to move us to the next step.

I hope we're a bit of a surprise package next season.

Archived