Lets be honest here .......

FeedTheFish

that was just a good result. Hardly an end to end thriller. How many saves did Legzins need to make? What about Camp?

Sorry Mostyn but if you're not excited by smashing Forest in their own back yard with ten men not to mention doing it with a sensational piece of brilliance and narkiness by Jamie Ward.

If you're not excited by that then I really feel for you. You're wasting your time and money if that doesn't do it for you football wise.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the 2007 season, I obviously enjoyed it because we were promoted and won an awful lot of games.

But if we ever finish 3rd again, I hope we put in more convincing performances and play some decent football.

People forget some of the awful players we had that season - Camara, Currie, Malcolm, Macken....don't think we have any players that poor.

Of course, there was also some players in the squad we could really do with, and that proves something. The promotion side had perhaps half a dozen players carrying some pretty average to poor Championship players to promotion. Right now, I'd only sight Brayford, Hughes and possibly Keogh and Hendrick as players who are of that type. That's not enough. I don't see any players in the squad developing into one any time soon, so you're looking at 2 to 3 serious signings in the summer for a credible play-off challenge to materialise.

Only Mo really played out of that bunch, the others were just squad fillers. Mo while couldnt play football was a decent defender, he was better than Roberts. Its like quoting Conor Doyle and O,Connor for this lot.

If Clough had had the money this year that Davies spoffed that January, we would have bought a better quality of player than Craig Fagan and we'd have been looking forward to the play-offs.

On topic, I fear Bray may go, but I really hope that Sam can find a way to finance the players we need without selling any of the mainstays of the squad. Ultimately, outgoings depend on who comes calling and with what offer. If we made it known that Will was available for £2m, you'd have 10 Prem clubs lining up to sign him. If Man City decide he's this years "maybe" signing and come in with £8m, you'd be hard pressed to turn it down.

Sam's big thing has been being hard in the transfer market - if he can do a Hugh wotsisname at Swansea then we'll be fine, if he turns out to be all mouth and no trousers, we'll be knackered.

If Clough had had the money this year that Davies spoffed that January, we would have bought a better quality of player than Craig Fagan and we'd have been looking forward to the play-offs.

On topic, I fear Bray may go, but I really hope that Sam can find a way to finance the players we need without selling any of the mainstays of the squad. Ultimately, outgoings depend on who comes calling and with what offer. If we made it known that Will was available for £2m, you'd have 10 Prem clubs lining up to sign him. If Man City decide he's this years "maybe" signing and come in with £8m, you'd be hard pressed to turn it down.

Sam's big thing has been being hard in the transfer market - if he can do a Hugh wotsisname at Swansea then we'll be fine, if he turns out to be all mouth and no trousers, we'll be knackered.

Billy wasted the money in Jan though to be fair when we were already top of the league, he had done that with bringing in Bywater, Leacock, Mo, Oakley, Jones and Stead (on loan) and Steve Howard who he did pay decent money for but I dont think any of us think he was a bad buy. Billy seemed to get very excitable in Jan and even though did get us up kind of undid the great work he had done getting us up there.

The best way forward for Derby? Let's start small - not booing your own players.

Which came first, us signing a player that can't control, pass, head or shoot, or fans booing a player because he's crap?

Lets start a little bit bigger - sign players that fans actually want to pay money to watch, or bigger still, sign a striker that fans actually get excited about watching.

Lets start a little bit bigger - sign players that fans actually want to pay money to watch, or bigger still, sign a striker that fans actually get excited about watching.

Bloomin heck, you don't ask for much do you, sign  a striker that fans get excited about watching I definetely won't be holding my breath

Which came first, us signing a player that can't control, pass, head or shoot, or fans booing a player because he's crap?

I can't think who you mean.

Fans booing a player because he's crap is now acceptable? Did I miss a memo?

A Derby player should only ever concievably be booed when he's blatantly not trying. Something none of us have had to suffer this year. End of.

Fans booing a player because he's crap is now acceptable? Did I miss a memo? A Derby player should only ever concievably be booed when he's blatantly not trying. Something none of us have had to suffer this year. End of.

It happens, it's been happening as long as I remember, Derek Hales, Billy Caskey, Reggie Greenwood, Mick Brolly, Paul Emson, Claude Davis, Andy Todd, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Savage.

People are going to take their frustrations out on the worst player, happens at every club.

It happens, it's been happening as long as I remember, Derek Hales, Billy Caskey, Reggie Greenwood, Mick Brolly, Paul Emson, Claude Davis, Andy Todd, Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson, Savage.

People are going to take their frustrations out on the worst player, happens at every club.

Still not right though curb, and it doesn't help. If we can get that togetherness we had in the Prem and make some bloody noise, it would be worth 10 points a season at home. I'm getting all B4 now, I'll leave it.

Absolute rubbish. Nonsense.

It's disgusting how fans dismiss things just because the manager or player(s) involved are no longer with the club. Amazing how people are happy to slate Savage now, but when I was critical, people said he was awesome. It'll be the same when Sammon is gone, all those defending him now will say he was rubbish. Similarly, what happened to Jewell will happen to Clough and people will call him a failure when he's gone. BUT the way people judge Billy in promotion season is disgusting. I'd love to be able to show you all videos of yourselves enjoying going to games that season. YES, it was nerveracking, but it was exciting. There were last minute winners, flair players, surprising wins and everything. We hardly experience any of that under Clough.

What I'd give now for the (pre-injury) Giles Barnes that played in that season, or even the likes of Arturo Lupoli and when on loan, Jon Stead. We had a lot more attacks with the average Bisgaard, Teale and Fagan than the players we have now, and we had a day... no, a succesful day at Wembley.

This makes me nostalgic for bris. At least his over the top arrogance and self importance had a glimmer of irony.

I agree with you about stead though. We were loads worse after he went. imagine if nigel was allowed to spunk as much as davies did in that january though.

Its not as if we have a choice is it? I think he will stay as long as he wants TBH.

Don't think he will ever resign why would he?

Knows he is pretty comfortable and given plenty of leeway by the board, I'm of the view that every club in this league bar P'Boro, Barnsley and possibly Millwall would have sacked him by now.

Is at a club which it seems like he is keen to succeed and works with backroom staff that he feels comfortable working with, could be argued too comfortable.

Lives in the local area so doesn't need to bother with upheaval of relocating family

Hasn't got the relevant qualifications to get another job at this level.

Finally, he probably thinks there is still a project to complete here.

Football management is a pretty volatile business but outside of Ferguson, Wenger and Moyes, NC has one of the most secure jobs I'd say.

I blame stuff like x-factor and the like for raising the booing of players. It's such a pantomime and it has introduced into crowd mentality that should something negative happen, you boo.

Hate the lot of it, myself.

The year under Billy was an odd one - whilst he got performances out of some average players, it always felt like at some point the bubble would burst. Agree with the point about him nearly sabotaging the harmony of the team by bringing in Fagan, Teale & co.

If Clough had had the money this year that Davies spoffed that January, we would have bought a better quality of player than Craig Fagan and we'd have been looking forward to the play-offs.

You have no way of knowing that. That's impossibly to judge. Nigel didn't have that money, we have no way of knowing who he would have signed and where we would have been.

Who's that then? Sammon? Did you see him on Saturday?

Honestly, booing a player in his first season with the club is absolutely pathetic. People can keep doing it if they want, but if they think it'll improve the team's performance they're sadly mistaken, and actively contributing to poor performance is a pretty braindead thing to do when you've shelled out £x00 on a season ticket.

Still, each to their own.

Fans booing a player because he's crap is now acceptable? Did I miss a memo?

A Derby player should only ever concievably be booed when he's blatantly not trying. Something none of us have had to suffer this year. End of.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Who's that then? Sammon? Did you see him on Saturday?

Honestly, booing a player in his first season with the club is absolutely pathetic. People can keep doing it if they want, but if they think it'll improve the team's performance they're sadly mistaken, and actively contributing to poor performance is a pretty braindead thing to do when you've shelled out £x00 on a season ticket.

Still, each to their own.

Its always something that's riled me. Derby fans HAVE to have a scapegoat. Teale had it bad, and there have been others. I'd love a psychologist's view on it. I cannot fathom what they think jeering and booing during the game will do. I was desperate for Sammon to score the peno v Leeds, the poor lad was shot to pieces before then, and even though he'll probably go down as one of our poorer players in years to come when we do our "worst players" lists, he is not hiding (a la Kenny Miller) or feigning injury.

I find it amazing that fans still regard Sammon as a poor player.

At the start of the season, yes, he was dreadful in almost every aspect - ball control, heading, finishing, hold up play, the lot.

But in my opinion, he has taken a while to get going, but is now one of our better players. I think back to Cardiff away and remember he was probably our best player that night, and was a far cry from the the player he was at the beginning of the season, since then he has been playing well and doing a great job for us - so say the last 10 games, something like that?

He heads the ball, controls well and his hold up play is second to none. He can get the ball and run with it. If he could improve his finishing (confidence) he really would be a very good player and well worth the money we paid.

When he came on against Barnsley we suddenly had some presence up front which we had lacked all game, albeit aided by the fact that Barnsley were defending deeper by that point, he still made a difference.

Again, against Peterborough I think it's all already been said by various others.

I can't stand the booing and the piss-taking that goes on by a number of fans who clearly have a very poor judgement of a players ability etc. i.e. no goals = **** striker.

People who continue to bash him on here, to be honest, I lose a lot of respect for their opinion on football in general.

(Rant over, please continue)

Archived