Lets be honest here .......

FeedTheFish

Absolute rubbish. Nonsense. It's disgusting how fans dismiss things just because the manager or player(s) involved are no longer with the club. Amazing how people are happy to slate Savage now, but when I was critical, people said he was awesome. It'll be the same when Sammon is gone, all those defending him now will say he was rubbish. Similarly, what happened to Jewell will happen to Clough and people will call him a failure when he's gone. BUT the way people judge Billy in promotion season is disgusting. I'd love to be able to show you all videos of yourselves enjoying going to games that season. YES, it was nerveracking, but it was exciting. There were last minute winners, flair players, surprising wins and everything. We hardly experience any of that under Clough.  What I'd give now for the (pre-injury) Giles Barnes that played in that season, or even the likes of Arturo Lupoli and when on loan, Jon Stead. We had a lot more attacks with the average Bisgaard, Teale and Fagan than the players we have now, and we had a day... no, a succesful day at Wembley.

Don't be silly it's much better now.

There's no more pressure of having to win games.

No more trying to work out where we are in the table at half time (if we win today we could be above xxxxx).

No more of that mad jumping up and down when we score, it doesn't really matter too much when the oppo score because it doesn't really matter too much if we lose.

We can go to games and just sit in quiet, peaceful reflection, safe in the knowledge that there's going to be no ridiculous 'promotion push'.

Lovely

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from actually getting promotion and the odd great performance I personally didn't really enjoy the promotion season for some reason and said so at the time. Something about it felt a bit anti-Derby but I can't really figure out why. Nothing really to do with Davies to be fair, he did what he had to do and we won games but it just didn't feel right somehow.

And that's honestly not bollux, I said so at the time to my dad.

Don't get me wrong I was pleased when we went up but in that promotion season it felt false somehow, not really based on anything or in the Derby way.

Where we are at the moment feels a bit more genuine and that we're going somewhere as a club from the academy upwards. I understand it's taking a bit more time than people want but it just feels to me like we're going in a direction that I want my club to be going as a whole. When we do mount a proper challenge it will come together and we'll have everything in place to become established at the next level. I hope that it results in a proper challenge next season because I think people are running out of patience (can't really blame them that much, we all want to see us being successful)

Lets be honest this season has to be some of the best football we've seen since 2007.

But will we end up selling the likes of Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson and Brayford. Who have been the main play makers of this season.

Is selling our best players to make a profit the best way for Derby County as a club to move forwards ? 

Careful, this could turn into an anti Clough thread :)

Absolute rubbish. Nonsense.

It's disgusting how fans dismiss things just because the manager or player(s) involved are no longer with the club. Amazing how people are happy to slate Savage now, but when I was critical, people said he was awesome. It'll be the same when Sammon is gone, all those defending him now will say he was rubbish. Similarly, what happened to Jewell will happen to Clough and people will call him a failure when he's gone. BUT the way people judge Billy in promotion season is disgusting. I'd love to be able to show you all videos of yourselves enjoying going to games that season. YES, it was nerveracking, but it was exciting. There were last minute winners, flair players, surprising wins and everything. We hardly experience any of that under Clough. 

What I'd give now for the (pre-injury) Giles Barnes that played in that season, or even the likes of Arturo Lupoli and when on loan, Jon Stead. We had a lot more attacks with the average Bisgaard, Teale and Fagan than the players we have now, and we had a day... no, a succesful day at Wembley.

You're right, I'm wrong.  The utter arrogance of people who declare others' opinions to be "rubbish" infuriates me.

As RodleyRam has said subsequently, that season felt false to me in a way.  I remember in July after the season ended to many people that, based on what I'd seen that season, we'd be relegated as the worst ever to grace the Prem. I know that sounds made up, but a couple of people I said that to remind me of it now and then.

I remember that season as being one where we got outplayed several times (Barnsley at home, WBA at home, the Final) and yet still came away with a win. Half the season I left PPS laughing and shaking my head in disbelief that we'd somehow contrived to win again.

Personally I found us to be really boring and ordinary that year (a bit like Cardiff this year), and we got completely found out for what we were in the Prem - a bunch of grinders.

just cos you had negative vibes and was a wrist-slasher, doesn't mean that we were rubbish that season.

There has never been a game under Clough as close to being as exciting as Southampton in the playoff and we lost that ffs!

just cos you had negative vibes and was a wrist-slasher, doesn't mean that we were rubbish that season.

There has never been a game under Clough as close to being as exciting as Southampton in the playoff and we lost that ffs!

Notts Forest 1-2 Derby County

Reid                   Ward, Hendrick

Fielding s/o

Remember that one?

Fielding s/o

Remember that one?

There has been no game I have ever seen at Derby more exciting than the Southampton game.

The other games that were as exciting that I have seen in my time as a Derby County fan...

The one fore-mentioned then Wembley obviously...

Notts Forest 1 Derby County 2... 10 men, managerial genius from Clough - to even implement a plan of that magnitude was fantastic.

Notts Forest 2 Derby County 3... Kris Commons getting the winning goal, again under Clough.

Derby County 1 Manchester United 0... under whats-his-name, was after Clough was named manager though  :lol:

Derby County 1 Notts Forest 0.... Jake Buxton last minute goal to secure the double over the dogs... 

Derby 3 Millwall 1... to secure survival! Under Burley..

And the wins over the Leeds have been tremendous! 

In all seriousness... I think about 80% of the most exciting games I have seen have been under Clough! 

Thank you nigel!!  ;)

Are you mad? 90% of our home games have been brilliant this season. Goals goals goals! 

Are you mad? 90% of our home games have been brilliant this season. Goals goals goals! 

Yes, but it doesn't fit in with his point... 

5 goals against Scunny

5 goals against tranmere

5 goals against watford

3 goals against charlton

4 goals against blackpool

3 goals against birmingham

3 goals against leeds

3 goals against boro

3 goals against huddersfield

3 goals against bristol

3 goals against peterborough 

I'm bloody bored.  :lol:

I've heard it all now - you're calling me a wrist slasher! Don't you absolutely hate Clough?

And, by the way, having "negative vibes" and being a "wrist-slasher" doesn't mean I was wrong. It just means I was telling people something they didn't want to hear. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't doing it to be popular.

Yes, but it doesn't fit in with his point... 

5 goals against Scunny

5 goals against tranmere

5 goals against watford

3 goals against charlton

4 goals against blackpool

3 goals against birmingham

3 goals against leeds

3 goals against boro

3 goals against huddersfield

3 goals against bristol

3 goals against peterborough 

I'm bloody bored.  :lol:

Exactly. For our league position our home form is brilliant! Obviously away isn't good enough.

We've scored 42 at home, not including cup, so add the five against Tramnere and five against Ssausagehorpe and its 52! 

In the league, only Leicester and Palace have scored more at home! Feel for Barnsley fans, they've only scored 24.. 

Regarding the 2007 season, I obviously enjoyed it because we were promoted and won an awful lot of games.

But if we ever finish 3rd again, I hope we put in more convincing performances and play some decent football.

People forget some of the awful players we had that season - Camara, Currie, Malcolm, Macken....don't think we have any players that poor.

Of course, there was also some players in the squad we could really do with, and that proves something. The promotion side had perhaps half a dozen players carrying some pretty average to poor Championship players to promotion. Right now, I'd only sight Brayford, Hughes and possibly Keogh and Hendrick as players who are of that type. That's not enough. I don't see any players in the squad developing into one any time soon, so you're looking at 2 to 3 serious signings in the summer for a credible play-off challenge to materialise.

Fielding s/o

Remember that one?

that was just a good result. Hardly an end to end thriller. How many saves did Legzins need to make? What about Camp?

There has been no game I have ever seen at Derby more exciting than the Southampton game.

The other games that were as exciting that I have seen in my time as a Derby County fan...

The one fore-mentioned then Wembley obviously...

Notts Forest 1 Derby County 2... 10 men, managerial genius from Clough - to even implement a plan of that magnitude was fantastic.

Notts Forest 2 Derby County 3... Kris Commons getting the winning goal, again under Clough.

Derby County 1 Manchester United 0... under whats-his-name, was after Clough was named manager though  :lol:

Derby County 1 Notts Forest 0.... Jake Buxton last minute goal to secure the double over the dogs... 

Derby 3 Millwall 1... to secure survival! Under Burley..

And the wins over the Leeds have been tremendous! 

In all seriousness... I think about 80% of the most exciting games I have seen have been under Clough! 

Thank you nigel!!  ;)

The Wembley game was horrible and unconvincing, although an exciting day and good result. So basically you just choose the important results, even if the game has been woeful?

that was just a good result. Hardly an end to end thriller. How many saves did Legzins need to make? What about Camp?

Obviously weren't there • excitement isn't all about goals.

The communal "oh ****" with the red card

The ******* hell were not out of it feeling growing through the first half

The emotion when we equalised

The excitement that we might actually win as we were pressing the second half.

Camp making a few saves, then Hendrick missing a sitter beforesciring the winner

Best time I've gad at a football match (no I wasn't alive in the seventies and didn't do the play offs) apart from at home against Plymouth in the 87 Promotion season.

Archived