Lets be honest here .......

FeedTheFish

Lets be honest this season has to be some of the best football we've seen since 2007.

But will we end up selling the likes of Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson and Brayford. Who have been the main play makers of this season.

Is selling our best players to make a profit the best way for Derby County as a club to move forwards ? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can possibly see one of those players you listed going but no more than that,

Hendrick and Hughes both seem to have their heads screwed on and I don't think they'd get much out of bench warming at a Premiership club and whats the point of moving to another champ club?

I think we're more likely to make space for some older heads by shedding the likes of Tyson, Robinson, Roberts, Deeney and Bailey. Losing these players will free up space in the wage budget and we're likely to be looking to out of contract players or the odd season long loan perhaps.

The only one likely to go for me is Brayford based on the fact that his contract is running out and he could play in the Prem today. However, he has said that he likes it here so he might be willing to wait to see what happens in the summer and whether we strengthen significantly enough for a promotion push...

In answering your last question, selling the odd valuable asset is a natural occurance in football and it would be a good way of helping us to build a bigger, better squad for the future but I think the club recognises the value of these assets so it's going to take some pretty sizeable bids to prize them away from us.

Lets be honest this season has to be some of the best football we've seen since 2007.

But will we end up selling the likes of Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson and Brayford. Who have been the main play makers of this season.

Is selling our best players to make a profit the best way for Derby County as a club to move forwards ? 

Firstly i shall have a bet we don't sell any of Ward, Bryson, Brayford, Hendrick, Hughes and Bennett. 

On whether we should sell to buy, evidently this year the board and Sam Rush feel that we need experience mixed in with the youngsters to create the perfect Jose Mourinho Omelette. So we don't necessarily need to sell the youth to fund the experienced players. There are many players on bosman ruling free agents such as Baptiste and Martin that I can see coming in. 

Now if a big bid comes in to make a profit as you say, then I would consider but that seems unlikely.

Keep the youth, be prepared to take the loss (again, I know) add a smidgeon of experience and give Nigel another year to make it work. Target should be the play-offs, failure should be met with a firm handshake and thanks for a job well done, but a recognition that its time to move on..... provocative / fair? ;)

Keep the youth, be prepared to take the loss (again, I know) add a smidgeon of experience and give Nigel another year to make it work. Target should be the play-offs, failure should be met with a firm handshake and thanks for a job well done, but a recognition that its time to move on..... provocative / fair? ;)

Exactamondo.

But it hasn't been a job well done,has it.4 years of underacheivement and failure.

But it hasn't been a job well done,has it.4 years of underacheivement and failure.

Failure would have been relegation and the club going into administration. And to say it's been 'four' years of underachievement misses the point fairly spectacularly.

I think this season is the only one we could have possibly mounted a challenge for the top 6, and even that would have been a bit of an outside chance given the resources available. I feel like we have missed out a little bit this season but lets face it the squad clearly isn't quite ready and lacked that bit of experience at critical points.

As it stands we could still miss out by a only a few points, so to say that's a failure is beyond silly.

The summer should be spent focusing on bringing in that experience to help us see a few games out, improve us away from home and make sure we don't have extended periods without a win etc.

I don't think we're far away and it's a case of building on the quality that we have and making sure we keep hold of our best players unless someone comes in with a game changing bid.

from a fans perspective, you may say that - from the owners point of view, I suspect that they are more than happy with the job that he's done so far - though I suspect that they will be wanting to see more progress as the years go by (as Sam Rush has effectively said, they want/expect to be pushing for the play-offs next year - whether that is just t sell more season tickets or is a definite target, we will have to wait and see)

The football in 2007 was complete rot. Boring, hoof it up to Howard dross. We got extremely well known for playing hoofball after that season.  So I'd say the football this year has been better.

We won't sell Hughes or Hendrick (I don't think), but my guess is that it's cheerio Brayford. I wouldn't stand in his way or be bitter about it either - he's a good player, been a good servant to the club and deserves a crack at a higher level.

The football in 2007 was complete rot. Boring, hoof it up to Howard dross. We got extremely well known for playing hoofball after that season.  So I'd say the football this year has been better.

We won't sell Hughes or Hendrick (I don't think), but my guess is that it's cheerio Brayford. I wouldn't stand in his way or be bitter about it either - he's a good player, been a good servant to the club and deserves a crack at a higher level.

Absolute rubbish. Nonsense.

It's disgusting how fans dismiss things just because the manager or player(s) involved are no longer with the club. Amazing how people are happy to slate Savage now, but when I was critical, people said he was awesome. It'll be the same when Sammon is gone, all those defending him now will say he was rubbish. Similarly, what happened to Jewell will happen to Clough and people will call him a failure when he's gone. BUT the way people judge Billy in promotion season is disgusting. I'd love to be able to show you all videos of yourselves enjoying going to games that season. YES, it was nerveracking, but it was exciting. There were last minute winners, flair players, surprising wins and everything. We hardly experience any of that under Clough. 

What I'd give now for the (pre-injury) Giles Barnes that played in that season, or even the likes of Arturo Lupoli and when on loan, Jon Stead. We had a lot more attacks with the average Bisgaard, Teale and Fagan than the players we have now, and we had a day... no, a succesful day at Wembley.

Absolute rubbish. Nonsense.

It's disgusting how fans dismiss things just because the manager or player(s) involved are no longer with the club. Amazing how people are happy to slate Savage now, but when I was critical, people said he was awesome. It'll be the same when Sammon is gone, all those defending him now will say he was rubbish. Similarly, what happened to Jewell will happen to Clough and people will call him a failure when he's gone. BUT the way people judge Billy in promotion season is disgusting. I'd love to be able to show you all videos of yourselves enjoying going to games that season. YES, it was nerveracking, but it was exciting. There were last minute winners, flair players, surprising wins and everything. We hardly experience any of that under Clough. 

What I'd give now for the (pre-injury) Giles Barnes that played in that season, or even the likes of Arturo Lupoli and when on loan, Jon Stead. We had a lot more attacks with the average Bisgaard, Teale and Fagan than the players we have now, and we had a day... no, a succesful day at Wembley.

Apart from that tripe at the end about Jon Stead, I totally agree with this post.

Some great days that season.

Whaaaa. Jon Stead was quality on loan for us. So much so that Keano stitched us up and sold him to Sheff United. It's been downhill ever since for him. Our team suffered massively after he went, many people think that was because of Fagan or Teale coming in, when it was because Stead was such an outlet for us. Go back and watch some videos of us that season.

Archived