Will Hughes signs new Rams contract

admira

This is something that would have happened anyway when he turned 18 – it's just the club desperately trying to spin it as good news

Notice how his contract extends until the end of 2016 but Nigel's quote only says "we look forward to seeing him here for the next 12 months"

Read into that what you will, but it does nothing to play down the rumours that we're selling him in the summer with a season-long loan back

"see how he improves over the next 12 months" is the actual quote!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that the BBC has this quote from Nige but the official site has a different one:

Boss Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "He's had a fantastic season and learnt so much over the last 12 months."

The new deal was triggered when Hughes, who could return to action by the end of the season, turned 18.

Clough added: "There is a pay rise which he thoroughly deserves and the extra year. I hope there will be a new one within the next 12 months."

Not sure whether he means another pay rise or another contract...

You get the sense that Nigel wants to keep Will for as long as possible and would probably want to tie him down to a longer, more lucrative contract. I think he'll definitely be here next season, I think it would be better to fend off offers until at least January in the hope that he continues to perform and his stock continues to rise. If we agree something this summer I think we risk him being totally awesome next season and it'll look like we've been done (the obvious flaw in my whole argument is that we don't cash in and he turns out to be w*nk/injured and we've lost out!)

Either way it's all a bit of a gamble and doubtless whatever the club do it'll be deemed wrong!

If he's sold in January after a successful run in the side and we're sitting top of the league and loaned back a la Zaha, then I think that would probably be the ideal situation.

Unless we can keep hold of him for the next five years until we're in the champions league...

So he has signed a new agreement then which lengthens his contract?

Not sure how you managed to find a negative in this?

Hughes staying longer  - or the possibility of more money if he leaves  -  both sound good to me.

But what do I know....

EVERYBODY OUT

This is something that would have happened anyway when he turned 18 – it's just the club desperately trying to spin it as good news

Notice how his contract extends until the end of 2016 but Nigel's quote only says "we look forward to seeing him here for the next 12 months"

Read into that what you will, but it does nothing to play down the rumours that we're selling him in the summer with a season-long loan back

For God's sake, how is extending the contract of one of Englands brightese young talents 'desperately trying to spin good news'?

We now have him for an extra season or his price has gone up, or am I spinning too now?

How about saying that 'the rumours' are negative spin from people who have absolutely no idea what is happening with hs contract?

If we signed Messi people would be moaning that we didn't sign Ronaldo.

Pathetic.

Great bit of news, the best player we have has agreed to stay a bit longer.....and he is getting some more money for it... how can that NOT be good news for all parties....unless of course you secretly want to see us all suffer.

If we signed Messi people would be moaning that we didn't sign Ronaldo.

Pathetic.

Great bit of news, the best player we have has agreed to stay a bit longer.....and he is getting some more money for it... how can that NOT be good news for all parties....unless of course you secretly want to see us all suffer.

Happy clapper.

Fallen for their spin - hook, line and sinker.

Happy clapper.

Fallen for their spin - hook, line and sinker.

Exactly....what was i thinking....and i went out this morning and purchased 11 season tickets, an away ticket membership and a place in the baseball bar all on the strength of this news....... i feel so stupid now..

I think the Will Hughes situation is quite straightforward. He is still only 18 - things can still go wrong at this stage. The club know that potentially he could be a 10 million pound player, but realistically nobody is going to spend that sort of money on the strength of 2 months of top quality performances.

I reckon he will be ours for another year, at which point we may get a bid we can't turn down. If there is no bid good enough at that point, then he may even be here another year. After which, I guess he will inevitably move on for a decent sum.

Yeah OK in retrospect it's unfair of me to call it "desperately trying to spin it as good news". It IS good news whichever way you look at it

I guess it's more that they are spinning it to make it sound like some mighty achievement by the club. Or over-stating a positive news story?

I just think it would be easier to respect the owners if they were a bit more honest about this news item, rather than every news item feeling like a marketing exercise for season tickets

Remember folks this is Derby County.

It just gives him enough time to pick up that career threatening injury, run his contract out, have a few clubs take a gamble on him because of his past reputation and eventually sail off to far off shores to try and reserrect his career.

Remember folks this is Derby County.

It just gives him enough time to pick up that career threatening injury, run his contract out, have a few clubs take a gamble on him because of his past reputation and eventually sail off to far off shores to try and reserrect his career.

Just like Giles Barnes did, and now he's well on his way to his 50th international cap.

Oh, wait....

For God's sake, how is extending the contract of one of Englands brightese young talents 'desperately trying to spin good news'?

We now have him for an extra season or his price has gone up, or am I spinning too now?

How about saying that 'the rumours' are negative spin from people who have absolutely no idea what is happening with hs contract?

No spin as far as I can see. We must both be suffering from the same thing!

Surely this thread should be developing more of an anti - Clough flavour by now. Very worrying. Come on Chaps, let's be having you. You're on most of the others.

Yeah OK in retrospect it's unfair of me to call it "desperately trying to spin it as good news". It IS good news whichever way you look at it

I guess it's more that they are spinning it to make it sound like some mighty achievement by the club. Or over-stating a positive news story?

I just think it would be easier to respect the owners if they were a bit more honest about this news item, rather than every news item feeling like a marketing exercise for season tickets

If this was a marketing exercise to sell season tickets I imagine they would have announced it before renewal deadline.

I actually wonder if the news has been held back following criticism over the last 2 season ticket renewals?

If this was a marketing exercise to sell season tickets I imagine they would have announced it before renewal deadline.

I actually wonder if the news has been held back following criticism over the last 2 season ticket renewals?

I suppose it depended on the date of his 18th?

Archived