Milestone

Bris Vegas

I don't know if anyone picked up on it but our away game against Blackburn was a milestone for Nigel Clough.. 100 NPC away games since taking charge

During those 100 games.. We've..

Won 22

Draw 26

Lose 52

92 points from 100 NPC games.. 0.92 points per game away record

Looking at the NPC now, only 3 teams have a worse record than 0.92 points pergame average..

One is bottom of the league, another has won only 2 games in 20 odd and the other is us..

Nigel Clough clearly needs a new away formula.. Because the one he has doesn't work.. In fact the one he has is relegation form.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was listening to Barnsley's manager Flitcroft before the game last night, his view was that Derby have a poor away record as they don't have a Plan B. He gives Clough far too much credit, I've not seen much evidence of a Plan A never mind Plan B.

Was listening to Barnsley's manager Flitcroft before the game last night, his view was that Derby have a poor away record as they don't have a Plan B. He gives Clough far too much credit, I've not seen much evidence of a Plan A never mind Plan B.

Love this, someone needs to let Clough know. We are a basically a laughing stock to managers away from home. 

What's his home record?

0.92pts per game away from home = 21 points a season

To get play offs (taking 74 points) we need to gain 53 points from 69 at home.

This season so far we have won 10 drawn 7 and lost 4. so are 16 points short. if we win our last 2 home games we would be 10 points short.

I've kind of lost my point a bit but due to home record being v good this season we are a better defends away from play-offs

That isn't quite true is it?

I don't know if anyone picked up on it but our away game against Blackburn was a milestone for Nigel Clough.. 100 NPC away games since taking charge

During those 100 games.. We've..

Won 22

Draw 26

Lose 52

92 points from 100 NPC games.. 0.92 points per game away record

Looking at the NPC now, only 3 teams have a worse record than 0.92 points pergame average..

One is bottom of the league, another has won only 2 games in 20 odd and the other is us..

Nigel Clough clearly needs a new away formula.. Because the one he has doesn't work.. In fact the one he has is relegation form.

Give him an 8 year deal like pardew. He deserves it

I am surprised this hasn't had more comments or awareness, especially given that in this league anyone can beat anyone.

It is simply not good enough.

When you look at this, we need a remarkable increase in our away form to even stand any chance of entertaining the playoffs and our home form would have to stay as it is at a minimum.

Looking back -

Home form -  W D L points

2009/2010 - 12 3 8 - 39
2010/2011 - 8 4 11 - 28
2011/2012 - 11 4 8 - 37
2012/ 2013 - 10 7 4 - 37

Away form - W D L points

2009/2010 - 3 8 12  - 17
2010/2011 - 5 6 12 - 21
2011/2012 - 7 6 10 - 27
2012/ 2013 - 4 6 12 - 18

So there are still 2 home games and 1 away left for this season. If you base progress on those stats as it is, I struggle to think where we are heading!

It's the mindset as much as the tactics, though of course the two must be linked.

How many times in match build ups does Clough remind us that the home team might want to beat us?

I want to tear my hair out every time I hear that.

How is that good enough for any team, let alone ours? I know Clough hasn't got the resources other managers have, but that doesn't explain all his shortcomings. Can you 'buy' away form?

The manager must be doing something wrong for their to be such a massive gap between home and away forms. That just can not be right. I had to pinch myself to stop me from being happy with a point at Barnsley....a point....at Barnsley...

I am surprised this hasn't had more comments or awareness, especially given that in this league anyone can beat anyone.

It is simply not good enough.

When you look at this, we need a remarkable increase in our away form to even stand any chance of entertaining the playoffs and our home form would have to stay as it is at a minimum.

Looking back -

Home form -  W D L points

2009/2010 - 12 3 8 - 39

2010/2011 - 8 4 11 - 28

2011/2012 - 11 4 8 - 37

2012/ 2013 - 10 7 4 - 37

Away form - W D L points

2009/2010 - 3 8 12  - 17

2010/2011 - 5 6 12 - 21

2011/2012 - 7 6 10 - 27

2012/ 2013 - 4 6 12 - 18

So there are still 2 home games and 1 away left for this season. If you base progress on those stats as it is, I struggle to think where we are heading!

I have been making this point for ages and using it as my the biggest reason as to why Nigel cant take us any further. We've always been poor away from home for his entire time here, nothing has improved and there's nothing to suggest it will. 

It's undefendable. 

Don't worry too much lads.

You'll get rid of him eventually I'm certain about it.

If you get your wishes It might even be this close season.

Once he's gone, I'm sure we'll get back to conquering the world, like we were doing for so long before he got here and screwed us up as a club.

Don't worry too much lads.

You'll get rid of him eventually I'm certain about it.

If you get your wishes It might even be this close season.

Once he's gone, I'm sure we'll get back to conquering the world, like we were doing for so long before he got here and screwed us up as a club.

Nobody has EVER said he screwed us up as a club!

This is about the future and limitations and ambition.

Clough is like the first car you own when you learn to drive. It plods along, only good on short journeys (from A to B ), with scary moments on the way, nearly doesn't make it. Has no new-fangled gadgets and gizmos (what's a MP3?), and pretty soon you know it's going to fail badly. So you think about the nice reliable motor to replace it. Do you get the sporty version that's all noisy and exciting, but has the potential to crash? or do you get the reliable, well-engineered car that won't get pulses rating but has enough quality to get you to where you are trying to go. 

Anyone care to suggest some reasons why it's so poor? Like Mostyn says it's 11 vs 11 at the end of the day, it can't be that hard!

Is it all down to Clough/motivation/tactics etc?

I suppose my feeling is away from home it's a little more difficult to dominate teams and play your style of football, therefore quite simply you need to be solid at the back and take your chances up front, without being too negative that you're under seige the entire game. That could be true of playing at home as well too obviously but I'd be interested to see what others think are the reasons and what could be actually done about it!

I dont think we get 'battered'. We are rarely 'well beaten', but inevitably if your most advanced player spends 90% of the game in the middle third, trying to hold up the ball or control it with his head, whilst everyone else stays behind the ball, with all 11 men in and around the box for corners and free-kicks, you're not going to be able to create much of a threat.

If you're not threatening the goal, then by default, you're never going to score! That in itself means you're only going to earn 1 or 0 points....

I don't think it's hard to work out why. We are set up far too deep, there's too much space in between our most advanced midfielders and our striker. Our striker is too far away from goal, There's not enough space in between our centre backs and our deepest lying midfielder which by default makes our defenders step back closer to goal, all of this encourages the opposition to advance (simply to get the ball of us) and almost in itself allows the oppo to create more chances.

Sometimes you got drop a blanket from above and if it landed on one Derby midfielder, it'd also catch another 2.

Nobody has EVER said he screwed us up as a club!

This is about the future and limitations and ambition.

Clough is like the first car you own when you learn to drive. It plods along, only good on short journeys (from A to B ), with scary moments on the way, nearly doesn't make it. Has no new-fangled gadgets and gizmos (what's a MP3?), and pretty soon you know it's going to fail badly. So you think about the nice reliable motor to replace it. Do you get the sporty version that's all noisy and exciting, but has the potential to crash? or do you get the reliable, well-engineered car that won't get pulses rating but has enough quality to get you to where you are trying to go. 

Not true Mostyn

I've read several posts over the last couple of weeks where Clough and/or the yanks have killed someones passion for the club.

They can't ever remember times as bad as these.

Apparently they've got no feeling left towards Derby because Clough and/or the yanks have dragged the club into the boredom induced doldrums..

Did you miss those posts?

Not true Mostyn

I've read several posts over the last couple of weeks where Clough and/or the yanks have killed someones passion for the club.

They can't ever remember times as bad as these.

Apparently they've got no feeling left towards Derby because Clough and/or the yanks have dragged the club into the boredom induced doldrums..

Did you miss those posts?

Sorry, I misconstrued your definition of 'screwed the club up'.

No, he may have screwed up "people's love", but not the club itself. I think the three amigos, Paul Jewell etc did more damage to the actual club.

I can see that Clough did good for Derby for a couple of years. He controlled the rudder. Just time to move on.

Archived