Milestone

Bris Vegas

Eh?

So the clubs not in a bad state and yet people still have fallen out of love with it?

Where's their backbone?

All I know is that the new manager will come in and take the place by storm. That means cos it's Clough who is holding us back,  Derby will be a premier league side or challenging for the play offs from the moment he's gone.

People have  been saying that loud enough for a while and all of those super knowledgeable fans can't be wrong.

This club will be great again. It would have been great faster if it weren't for Clough.

All we need to do to move forward now is to get rid of the buffoon of a manager.

All managerial reigns end at some point, even for the games greatest managers.  He might have run out time and chances and be gone in the summer.

I'm already looking forward to seeing the new guy totally transform us.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody has EVER said he screwed us up as a club!

This is about the future and limitations and ambition.

Clough is like the first car you own when you learn to drive. It plods along, only good on short journeys (from A to B ), with scary moments on the way, nearly doesn't make it. Has no new-fangled gadgets and gizmos (what's a MP3?), and pretty soon you know it's going to fail badly. So you think about the nice reliable motor to replace it. Do you get the sporty version that's all noisy and exciting, but has the potential to crash? or do you get the reliable, well-engineered car that won't get pulses rating but has enough quality to get you to where you are trying to go. 

dont normally like your negative posts, but that has to be one of the best football analogies I have ever read!!! 

dont quite think he has the media/ video editing room that little billy sausageface has

Eh?

So the clubs not in a bad state and yet people still have fallen out of love with it?

Where's their backbone?

All I know is that the new manager will come in and take the place by storm. That means cos it's Clough who is holding us back,  Derby will be a premier league side or challenging for the play offs from the moment he's gone.

People have  been saying that loud enough for a while and all of those super knowledgeable fans can't be wrong.

This club will be great again. It would have been great faster if it weren't for Clough.

All we need to do to move forward now is to get rid of the buffoon of a manager.

All managerial reigns end at some point, even for the games greatest managers.  He might have run out time and chances and be gone in the summer.

I'm already looking forward to seeing the new guy totally transform us.

From where I am, everything is stale and predictable. It's like eating the same food EVERY day. You get bored. That doesn't mean the food is poisonous.

Clough has had opportunity, and he is aware of criticism as he petulantly mentions it in interviews, ... where was I?... yes, He's had lot's of opportunity to freshen things up. He's aware of the lack of flair. He should be aware of any coaching problems and deficiencies. He's aware of the fact we have no superstar or cult/iconic player to love and relate. Theo was about the closest we've had, and that was ironic cult status.

I don't know if anyone picked up on it but our away game against Blackburn was a milestone for Nigel Clough.. 100 NPC away games since taking charge

During those 100 games.. We've..

Won 22

Draw 26

Lose 52

92 points from 100 NPC games.. 0.92 points per game away record

Looking at the NPC now, only 3 teams have a worse record than 0.92 points pergame average..

One is bottom of the league, another has won only 2 games in 20 odd and the other is us..

Nigel Clough clearly needs a new away formula.. Because the one he has doesn't work.. In fact the one he has is relegation form.

How dare you criticise the messiah?

(He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy)

From where I am, everything is stale and predictable. It's like eating the same food EVERY day. You get bored. That doesn't mean the food is poisonous.

Clough has had opportunity, and he is aware of criticism as he petulantly mentions it in interviews, ... where was I?... yes, He's had lot's of opportunity to freshen things up. He's aware of the lack of flair. He should be aware of any coaching problems and deficiencies. He's aware of the fact we have no superstar or cult/iconic player to love and relate. Theo was about the closest we've had, and that was ironic cult status.

I didn't hear any dissenting voices when Clough said that players of Commons' type were hard to find and he could cost £2m+ to replace.Was he handed £2m to replace him? You say we've no superstars-tell us how we're going to get any if there's no money.

Clough himself has acknowledged that we need quality to add to our honest,hard working side and that it will probably have to come (one way or another) from the Academy.

For a side that constantly sits so deep away from home,we seem to be creating more chances than some of those teams that mug us at our place-the difference being that the opposition seems to have a far better conversion rate.If our own rate had been similar,we'd have had rather more success on the road.Perhaps we need a superstar.Perhaps we need the goalscorer Glick told us was "priority" on several occasions (though he told us Billy Sharp was out of reach on two counts-surprising as we were supposed to have made a similar bid for Hooper).

Anyway,I don't know why you're calling for these players.When I directly challenged you,you said that another manager would have this squad in the top 6 (though I noticed you scaled this down a bit recently-I suppose it depends which argument you're trying to support).

I didn't hear any dissenting voices when Clough said that players of Commons' type were hard to find and he could cost £2m+ to replace.Was he handed £2m to replace him? You say we've no superstars-tell us how we're going to get any if there's no money.

Clough himself has acknowledged that we need quality to add to our honest,hard working side and that it will probably have to come (one way or another) from the Academy.

For a side that constantly sits so deep away from home,we seem to be creating more chances than some of those teams that mug us at our place-the difference being that the opposition seems to have a far better conversion rate.If our own rate had been similar,we'd have had rather more success on the road.Perhaps we need a superstar.Perhaps we need the goalscorer Glick told us was "priority" on several occasions (though he told us Billy Sharp was out of reach on two counts-surprising as we were supposed to have made a similar bid for Hooper).

Anyway,I don't know why you're calling for these players.When I directly challenged you,you said that another manager would have this squad in the top 6 (though I noticed you scaled this down a bit recently-I suppose it depends which argument you're trying to support).

He's got you there Mostyn, you've got to agree!

I think the argument should not be about getting a new manager in to replace Clough but getting in the RIGHT manager to replace Clough...

Any manager coming in no matter how good would still require far better backing from the owners than Clough as had.

We all know Clough as not had it easy at Derby but that said I still feel we should be looking for a new manager who can take us to the next level,but the board would also need to play their part cause not many managers of quality would want to work under our current finances I would think..........

Nobody has EVER said he screwed us up as a club!

This is about the future and limitations and ambition.

Clough is like the first car you own when you learn to drive. It plods along, only good on short journeys (from A to B ), with scary moments on the way, nearly doesn't make it. Has no new-fangled gadgets and gizmos (what's a MP3?), and pretty soon you know it's going to fail badly. So you think about the nice reliable motor to replace it. Do you get the sporty version that's all noisy and exciting, but has the potential to crash? or do you get the reliable, well-engineered car that won't get pulses rating but has enough quality to get you to where you are trying to go.

Why does a sporty car have more potential to crash? Surley it's the driver that has the potential to crash not the car. Sporty car my arse!

For those who hadn't realised,Weston-Super's reply to my quoted post is sandwiched in as the penultimate paragraph.

I don't particularly see why Clough should be deprived of investment that some think a new manager should get.

For those who hadn't realised,Weston-Super's reply to my quoted post is sandwiched in as the penultimate paragraph.

I don't particularly see why Clough should be deprived of investment that some think a new manager should get.

Sorry for butting in with my post. I agree, is clough being denied money another manager would get?

Fair points. Without turning this into a financial discussion, not many teams in this league have the luxury of splashing out 2 mil and what not on this so called extra quality, yet our away record remains inferior to other teams, those who also could use that excuse. Maybe a bit of a simple way of looking at it.

Why does it take £2m to replace Commons? Remind me how much GSE paid for Commons!

Excuse making at it's best!

I think Cloughie is taking too much flak at the moment.

Lets at least give the lad a chance and ive never been totally pro Cloughie.

Why does he deserve more of a chance than Phil Brown had?

He's had four years to make the best of what's at his disposal. He's spent loads of players he doesn't play for starters, spent plenty on players who almost immediately need replacing by better players, and he's used nearly 90 different players.

What needs to happen now is for us fans to get behind the team and the manager and he needs to deliver next season.   Ive just got a feeling that next season hes going to get it right .   i know you disagree with this and i have my doubts also but i cant see anybody better to come in at the moment .    The young lads will be better for this seasons experience.... Cloughie has bought in some decent players ie  Barker, Shackell, Brayford, Keogh, Fielding, Bryson, etc etc and has at his disposal young Jeff ,WIll  and Mason,    Freeman is a good signing and he has Josh ,,,, Hanson ,,,, Wixted,,, Dawson,, etc in the youth set up who are all very promising players....Josh Leylan is a superb centre back...... Wassall is doing great with these lads. ..           If Cloughie fails it wont be for lack of trying.              As regards  using 90 players  it could be argued that hes in a players market that requires experiments and they dont always work.           At   the   end of the day 43% still want Cloughie as manager on this forum alone if you refer to said poll so he will still be here next season unless the owners have a massive change of heart.

Whilst I've had the same opinion for a few years, admittedly I get through the back end of close-season with some optimism and prepare myself for the huge serving of humble pie. I am looking forward to seeing if Clough has the bravery to make some tough decisions this summer, decisions I think are necessary for improvement. Coaching changes, maybe recruit a bit of arrogance and ego as a player, bin some players who are never gonna make it .... whatever it takes that sends the message out to people like me. The message needs to be "yes, I'm aware things need to improve and I'm prepared to change things properly to improve, I HAVE learnt something in 4 years!"

Why does it take £2m to replace Commons? Remind me how much GSE paid for Commons!

Excuse making at it's best!

....and remind me of the era in which Commons was acquired.I'll remind you-it was the period in which AP was telling us that evidence suggested you needed to be running a wage bill of £12/13m (players,that is),and he proceeded to run this up (and more).So we don't know what wages Commons was paid,and we don't know how big a signing on fee we had to pay.Of course those were the days when we might have been able to fight off competition for quality free transfers (unfortunately,we were also able to fight off competition for junk).

When Clough was talking about £2m he was obviously talking about a situation where you had to pay for same ,in the absence of any comparable free agents (and I repeat nobody dissented with his assessment)

Hardly excuses,more an appreciation of current circumstances.We face stiff competition for any quality frees from clubs with far greater fire power than us.Glick told us we couldn't afford Sharp's wages.QED.

Archived