Montenegro v England

froggg

Tuesday night's match is an altogether different prospect from England's last World Cup qualifier, which saw them beat San Marino 8-0 on Friday.

Montenegro will go into the game spurred on by an eight-match unbeaten run, including a 1-0 victory in Moldova on Friday and remain two points clear of England at the top of Group H.

Montenegro's main striker, Mirko Vucinic, said his team will "fight like lions" against England, but Roy Hodgson is determined that his side will win the match.

"We don't play for draws, we never played for draws," he told a pre-match press conference. "I think we have attacking qualities in the team and we will try to use those attacking qualities."

Source: APTN

0-3 win for England .....Wooney hatwick

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be interesting game, apparently they're playing with a 'parked coach and two Ferraris'. The two strikers, Vucinic and Jovetic, are really good. Perhaps I'm tactically naïve but surely the best thing to do is to man mark those two players and play the midfield and strikers as normal...or maybe that'll play into their hands, I don't know.

Reckon we'll squeak it 2-1 though. Rooney and Welbeck, with Jovetic getting a consolation.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result for either side.

I think they will play for it and it's just whether or not we are good enough to break that down.

1-1

Defeats for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland tonight with the Republic winning against Austria.

A bit of competitiveness never did a game any harm, I'm happy that the Montenegro manager has come out with fighting talk and that Hodgson and Gerrard responded.

Feisty, competitive games is what football was supposed to be about. 

1-3 England.

Welbeck, Oxlade and Rooney with the goals for us.

England: 1. Joe Hart, 2. Glen Johnson, 3. Ashley Cole, 4. Steven Gerrard ©, 5. Joleon Lescott, 6. Chris Smalling, 7. James Milner, 8. Michael Carrick, 9. Danny Welbeck, 10. Wayne Rooney, 11. Tom Cleverley.

That's arguably the most solid looking side he could have picked. He's taking no chances that's for sure.

Archived