Do we have to start looking over our shoulders?

RampantRam

I certainly think we are leaving ourselves wide open to be shot at by the teams below. Two wins and just 11 eleven points collected in our last 12 games. It's the kind of form that can see you plummet down the table.

As it stands, I'm not worried and I'm sure many others feel the same. It's purely because we have an eight point cushion to Peterborough in 22nd and we only need 10-15 points, maybe even less, to ensure survival and surely one would hope that's not beyond us.

But I think if this run continues, panic will begin to set in. If say, we were to lose the next three games, which is by no means implausible, we could be going into the Bristol City game with much more than pride to play for.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on current form of teams :

Cardiff A - DRAW
Birmingham A - DRAW
Leicester H - LOSS
Bristol City H - WIN
Leeds A - LOSS
Ipswich H - LOSS
Blackburn A - LOSS
Barnsley A - DRAW
Peterborough H - LOSS
Blackpool A - DRAW
Millwall H - WIN

I dont think we will get relegated but looking at the games and the league position the only thing that will cheer me up is a win against cardiff, leicester or leeds. i'm just finding the second half of this season really boring. when we should win we play **** and when we should lose we play well...and still lose.

I certainly think we are leaving ourselves wide open to be shot at by the teams below. Two wins and just 11 eleven points collected in our last 12 games. It's the kind of form that can see you plummet down the table.

As it stands, I'm not worried and I'm sure many others feel the same. It's purely because we have an eight point cushion to Peterborough in 22nd and we only need 10-15 points, maybe even less, to ensure survival and surely one would hope that's not beyond us.

But I think if this run continues, panic will begin to set in. If say, we were to lose the next three games, which is by no means implausible, we could be going into the Bristol City game with much more than pride to play for.

Thing is we have been playing well but losing and only getting 11 points from 12 games. What if we start playing badly?

Even current form would get us to 54 points and even that might not be enough given the form of the bottom 4 at the moment.

Our average league position this year is 12.5

We have flirted with the playoffs at 9th and been as low as 16th (21st and 20 early in the season but that we had hardly played many games). 

Potentially we could be 17th 18th after the Cardiff loss.  :huh: Now that would be a low position!

Thing is we have been playing well but losing and only getting 11 points from 12 games. What if we start playing badly?

Even current form would get us to 54 points and even that might not be enough given the form of the bottom 4 at the moment.

52 is safe - which is good job because 54 might be beyond us. We won't go down, but I'm not sure anyone will be pointing to this season as one of progression by May.

Just had a quick look at the form over the last five games....

Ourselves and Wolves on 2 points and then Blackburn on 3. Did not want to depress myself by looking at the last 10 games...

We have not been playing crap, I am concerned that for our young side, the Palace result was a real blow and confidence could really be shaken.

If we are not getting results when playing well, what happens when we don't play so well? We have no game changing options on the bench at the best of times.

I still think we will be fine but not exactly an inspiring end to the season. Whatever happens, a lot of work to do in the summer.

52 is safe - which is good job because 54 might be beyond us. We won't go down, but I'm not sure anyone will be pointing to this season as one of progression by May.

I wont be renewing next season because I am going to University. However I think there will be plenty more not renewing because the club isnt going anywhere (As you say there is no progression when it comes to May). The future looks really good for Derby County but the club is technically doing nothing. Mid Table Championship football at the end of the day. 

See I dont really mind that we are a mid table championship team because I didnt grow up expecting us to be a premier league team. Most Derby fans expect us to be competing in the premier league. That isnt going to happen for another 5 or 6 years. We need to yoyo first or actually invest in decent players when we get to the premier league.

Maybe if we start playing badly, the reverse will happen? I don't know.

To be honest, I haven't been regularly enough since the turn of the year to say whether we've been playing well and not getting our rewards.

It certainly wasn't the case against Wolves but there was definitely a feeling of hard luck earlier in the season.

Again, I'm not too worried. There's a possibility we could get dragged into a dogfight but there's a possibility we could win every game between now and May and finish in the play-offs.

It's probably worth taking it one game at a time and not getting too panicked.

Don't worry about this season.During our recent bad spell we only dropped about 3 or 4 places in the

league simply because of the poor and inconsistant form of the teams below us.However we should be

allowed to scare ourselves shitless about next season.

I really dont worry about next season as we have young players who can improve. This season is turning into a bit of a disaster because the big signings ie Keogh and Sammon have not played well enough and the big sales ie Shackell and Davies have not been adequately replaced. Poor transfer business in the summer.

I really dont worry about next season as we have young players who can improve. This season is turning into a bit of a disaster because the big signings ie Keogh and Sammon have not played well enough and the big sales ie Shackell and Davies have not been adequately replaced. Poor transfer business in the summer.

Disagree about Keogh. I think he'll end up better than Shackell. Agree about Steve Davies though, wish we still had him. Him and Ward would have been awesome together.

Disagree about Keogh. I think he'll end up better than Shackell. Agree about Steve Davies though, wish we still had him. Him and Ward would have been awesome together.

We'd have struggled with them up top, especially with Davies injury record. Davies could score a few goals, but offered far less to the side as a whole than Sammon can. The key issue that the side has had this season if any is a lack of experience. Too many young'uns in the side, which hopefully will be better next years with them all having some game time under their belt and Barker hopefully back.

what does Sammon offer to the team apart from running like a headless chicken?

Workrate and apart from his off days bringing others into play, even if not in the most convincing matter. He's unsettling to defences. Davies never did this, from what I saw of him over the years he meandered about and scored a few. Before that he meandered about and we slammed Clough's choice to play him up front, but shhh... we don't talk about when the general opinion is wrong.

Source?

Chris has some qualities we don't already have in the team, says Clough

He can play, the lad, and he has some qualities which we don't have in our team at the moment," said Clough.

"He is in there primarily to hold the ball up, which he did most of the time he was on.

"That is something we are lacking in our forwards at the moment, somebody to get hold of the ball and bring our midfielders into play.

"He did that quite well when he came on."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18247201-detail/story.html?

Archived